Marantz SR7001 (AVR) and NAD T955?

ElCid79

What do you all think of this pairing?

I have a marantz SR7001. Its in good working order, but I was thinking about slowly switching over to seperates. I only have a 5.1 setup.

My plan:

Buy the NAD T955 Amp. today Connect it to the SR7001 for now..

Down the road, purchase a new pre/pro.

Then if i upgrade to 7.1 buy a really nice 2 channel amp. (Probably NAD.) Use the T955 for the surrounds.

What do you all think?

Would the difference in the external amp vs. internals be significant?

ElCid79

My setup,

Mains Klipsch KF-28
Surrounds Klipsch SF-1
Center Klipsch SC-1
Sub Klipsch KSW-12

Very interesting. I am not familiar with emotiva.

I have had great results with NAD in the past. My grandfather, who has passed, worked in the film industry. He owned McIntosh and NAD stuff... Always enjoyed the NAD. Obviously the McIntosh stuff was awesome...

I notice that the Emotiva boast signifigantly higher output than the NAD. I wonder what the true difference is. They are very similarly priced though, so at the least, you gave me something else to look at...

Thanks for the input.

What do you all think of this pairing?

I have a marantz SR7001. Its in good working order, but I was thinking about slowly switching over to seperates. I only have a 5.1 setup.

I think the Marantz/NAD combo will be fine for now until you decide on a pre/pro later.

My plan:

Buy the NAD T955 Amp. today Connect it to the SR7001 for now..

The T955 is a fine choice and is definitely more powerful than the specs suggest. Use the L-C-R preouts on the 7001 to drive the NAD's three front channels only and let the 7001 amps handle your surrounds. This way you will have more reserve power for your front soundstage and your surrounds.

Bill

Very interesting. I am not familiar with emotiva.

I have had great results with NAD in the past. My grandfather, who has passed, worked in the film industry. He owned McIntosh and NAD stuff... Always enjoyed the NAD. Obviously the McIntosh stuff was awesome...

I notice that the Emotiva boast signifigantly higher output than the NAD. I wonder what the true difference is. They are very similarly priced though, so at the least, you gave me something else to look at...

Thanks for the input.

Emotiva rates their power all channels driven and at 1khz, i am not sure what NAD does. If NAD rates power at all channels driven and full range, then you will have an apples to oranges type comparison. If the emotiva amps were rated full range, you could probably expect a 20-40 watt decrease per channel of power, in the end, it really depends on the architecture of the amp so my suggested power loss could be skewed, its just meant as a somewhat guideline.

I have an outlaw 7125 amp that is 125 watts a channel and in comparison to the XPA-5, i find it smoother and i dont notice any power loss at all despite a "75 watt" loss per channel. It puts into perspective how much power you actually use. I can only assume that i have got good overhead especially with the efficiency of the speakers i own. the T955 amp should make you a happy camper, NAD is a great brand, we had some NAD in my house as well, my dad is a fan.

Thanks for the responses y'all. I ordered the T955 and some cables from monoprice. Then i realized i forgot to order a dc trigger cable.. did some research both the marantz and the NAD trigger with a 3.5mm 1/8 mono plug. So I ordered a cheep one from ebay, and if it doesn't work then I will build one out of some parts....

I will give you all a better review once i get it all set up. Its gonna be a few weeks because I am heading out of town and told the company I ordered it from to hold onto it for me.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

So I hooked the NAD up today, and honestly, it

sounds suprisingly better. I was planning on taking it back, I just wanted to

try it out. But some of the shrillness of the Marantz has been balanced out. It

seems to have a little more punch, but overall a better balance, than what was

coming out of the Marantz alone.

It also sounded a little crisper in the

low/high swings..

To test this, I hooked the left speaker up to the

marantz, and the right speaker up to the NAD. I played a few tracks that I was

familiar with and switched between the two. This was really quite

suprising...

Plus it looks really cool sitting next to everything...

Haha.

I will write up a more thorough review after I break it in a bit

longer.

ElCid79 is online nowReport Post

progress.gif