RF-52 II vs RB-81 II

For a number of reasons, my choice of speakers to purchase has been narrowed down to either the RF-52 II's or RB-81 II's. I have only been able to hear the RB-81 II's, and don't know anywhere within 200 miles of Southwest Florida to compare the two side-by-side. The speakers will be used for two channel music or movies, in a large room (open plan living room/dining room/kitchen, over 8000 cubic feet). For movies, we will listen from a couch centered about 10 feet away. We listen to music anywhere within that large room. The bookshelves will be up on stands, at a height of about 36 inches (about the same height of the floorstanding speakers).

Any comments, or advice, or experience with the two different sets of speakers?

Thanks.

Well, if 36" is the height limit, then you're fairly limited! One important consideration is that the port is on the rear of the cabinet. For this speaker to image well, and provide reasonably good bass output, it needs to be out from the wall a fair amount. I use RF-15s, predecessors of the 52s, and find that they sound best when around 24" from the rear wall. Is this possible in your installation? As far as power is concerned, 35 wpc is actually plenty given the efficiency of the speaker. Perhaps you can purchase them from a dealer which offers a return option just in case you are not satisfied with their performance. I believe Crutchfield is an authorized dealer and still has a 30 or 45 day return privilege.

Always a tough decision! I've never heard the 81s, so I can't comment. Of course, those have the port in the front which would allow placement much closer to the wall if desired. I can only say that if the 52s are the equal of the 15s, their performance will astound you. Imo, the 15s were one of Klipsch's best kept secrets and offer a level of performance that is quite amazing. I use them to do the initial "voicing" of tube amps which are typically used with Heritage series speakers and they haven't let me down yet!

Welcome Scott, I don't know if you have looked at any speaker stands yet, but one of the members here has some for sale in the "Garage Sale" section, which is where members sell off gear. Another member gave them a thorough review, check them out. Oh, & buy the best Klipsch speakers you can afford, helps to ward off "Upgradeitis"!