In ceiling speakers...voice matching?

Klipschtastic

So I'm considering buying a pair of in ceiling speakers for the kitchen which is adjacent to my living room/ dining room area. I wish I could draw a diagram but basically my main 2channel set up is in the living room diagonally over from the kitchen door. The kitchen door is at the edge of the dining room as the dining room seguays into the living room so basically the stereo is misaligned to the kitchen door by about 12 feet.

I spend a lot of time cooking with the vent fan running which drowns out the sound somewhat. Music works ok coming from the living room since the rf3 s are loud and clear but talk radio is impossible to follow.

I would like to add a pair of ceiling speakers to either augment the sound or maybe run alone in the kitchen at times. I will either use zone 2 or B speakers on the receiver. My concern is with the proximity and crosstalk of the two speakers systems, would I need to voice match them?

It looks like the ceiling speakers by Klipsch are a coaxiel design and probably aren't matched to my rf3's anyway.

If I don't need to stick with Klipsch, can someone recomend a decent set of budget ceiling speakers?

My wife listens to talk radio in the kitchen. The family room, kitchen and dining room are designed as an open concept. When the family is watch TV, she listens to the radio on the small under the cabinet TV, radio, dvd player. The little TV is 7 or 8 in. and gets plenty loud. Something like this may work for you without running wires and making holes in the wall or ceiling: with one drawback, it won't be Klipsch.

Hi Klipschtastic,

Having installed and used many in-ceiling speakers, I have never found voice matching particularly important. A speaker mounted in the ceiling will sound a bit different from the same speaker mounted in a wall, given the difference in orientation of the listener to the source.

In your application, you are not attempting to establish a stereo image or "stage", but rather to provide uniform coverage of the audio throughout the listening area. In this type of application, I have found the dual-tweeter, dual-voice coil in-ceiling speakers offer a good solution. Both left and right channels are delivered from the same speaker source.

http://www.klipsch.com/r-2800-csm-in-ceiling-speaker

Two important considerations when designing for this application are 1) uniform coverage of the area which may require mulitple speakers, and 2) the ability to control the volume (loudness) of the speakers separately from the "main" system. Sometimes you may want the ceiling louder, sometimes softer.

Thanks bhendrix, I didn't know there were models that could be wired in stereo to a single speaker. That makes it even more tempting to add more of them throughout the house!

We did just that for a friend building a new house. In rooms where they wanted TV/home theater or 2 channel, we used in-wall or in-ceiling in appropriate configuration. The rest of the "common areas" are covered with the dual-channel in-ceiling speakers. We installed 24 in-ceiling speakers in total. There is music everywhere . . . . .