Center Speaker

Terry Palmer

Has anyone ever used a rear speaker as a center? I was able to purchase a single RS 3 for $75.00 which was a good deal. It works great! I've been using it as a center speaker it is working great. I got the idea from a guy I use to work for in a pro audio video company. He personally knew Paul Klipsch. He said that the rear works great because the two tweeters help with the center off axis problem. So no matter where you set you get good center reproduction. Just a thought.

Terry

i have listened to rear surrounds as a left and right and the sound is horrendous. If you are dead on with the speaker it sounds off, you dont really get the highs. If you were to sit in between the 2 speakers it sounded much better because you were in the sweetspot of the tweeters.

Unfortunately the person you talked to is pretty wrong, i mean, his idea of dispersion is good because they are designed to have wide dispersion but for different funtionality. I feel you are shorting yourself by not using a bookshelf or floorstander or best yet, a dedicated center channel. This is just my .02 from experience.

OK as soon as I can I'll purchase a dedicated center! Probably a RC 3 II. I just purchased some RF 25's I'll be using them with a RW 12 D II what would be a good crossover setting. I'll be using my RB 3's as rears right now. May sell the RB3s later to purchase a dedicated center and another RS 3II if I can find a single.