Quartet upgrade work...

moray james

Did some extensive brace work on a pair of Quartets.Installed vertical braces all around the cabinet up the sides and across the top with plywood 3/4" by 2.5" used the same material across the front baffle below the woofer above the woofer and above the mid horn. There are two short vertical braces from the bottom of the cabinet up to the woofer (same dimensions as the other braces) and several on the back along with a horizontal above and below the passive. The front and the back baffles are tied together with one inch strapping at four points around the woofer and the sides are tied together likewise. All in all the cabinet is very solid now. I re damped the inside of the cabinet with high density fiberglass 5/8" thick. I also dropped in a new woofer from a KLF 20 which required the front baffleto be routed out to fit. After the damping was adjusted I re tuned the passive radiator. I used a test tone of 31.5 hertz and adjusted the weight on the passive so that the woofer was not moving and the passive was doing all the moving. This required 2.5 ounces of weight in the form of some steel washers which were glued to the passive (inside).

The end result is a speaker which is smaller in size than a Forte ll and which has deeper bass and puts out more bass which is more controlled and articulate. These Quartets do not require the help of a sub. The speakers are up on 14 inch high four post sand filled stands. See Skylanstands dot com for stand info. It has been some time since these speakers have been completed and I thought some here might find this of interest. The speakers also have installed titanium tweeter and mid range diaphragms.So nothing scientific here just a really solid box tuned well and sounding stunningly good. Everyone who has heard them has been impressed and most cannot believe that there are no subs in the system. Smokin good speaker. Best regards moray James.

James, sounds like a SOLID BUILD, do you have a pic of and could you explain further adding weight to the passive.

Thanks

I've been thinking about adding some port tubes to a pair of Chorus's, as per a post I once saw. Supposed to give much deeper base.

Brac: if you remove the Quartet passive on the inside where the VC would be is a paper disk which actually has a steel weight beneath the paper. I used this steel disk as a platform to add neomagnets to lower the tuning of the passive. I ran a 31.5 Hz test tone and added weight untill the woofer was still and the passive was doing all the moving. I measured this weight which turned out to be 2.5 ounces them got a couple of large steel washers which weighed 2.5 ounces glued them together and then onto the inside of the passive. The results are impressive as these Quartets easily outperform a stock Forte and Forte ll. The cabinet work really tightens everything up. Here is a link with some pictures on the third page I think of the inside of the Quartet and some of the inside ofpair of KLF20 I rebuilt last summer. Best regards Moray James.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=372783&highlight=klf20