High to Mid Level CD Player Opinions

Quagh

I just acquired a Rega Planet CD player and wondered what everyone's thoughts on this unit were regarding durability, quality of sound, upgrades, etc. I happed to have a Tube DAC if needed for this also. What are all of you using for your set-ups. (in the sub $1,500 region anyway) I had been using a Oppo BD970HD and upstairs I have an older Nakamichi OMS-7.

• Like 1

I can't comment about the Rega as I have never heard one, but I have read nothing but good things about them...

For me, high quality SACD/CD playback is critical to my listening enjoyment, and I am using a Marantz SA-11S1 (with an Anthem Integrated 225 amp/Heresy IIIs). This was originally a $3500 msrp unit, and it can be found used for $1100-1500 (I paid $1200 for mine). It is an incredible unit, unlike anything I have ever owned. From the gorgeous looks, to the stunning build quality, and the fantastic warm/analog-like sound, I could not be happier with it...

I researched it extensively before I purchased mine, and I read about some owners experiencing a problem with their units not reading SACD discs after a few years of ownership. I took a chance anyways, and after 3 months of using mine it started to have that problem. I took it to United Radio in Syracuse, NY for repair. It took about a week and half (and $190) to get it back, and it should now be good for many years of enjoyment. It turns out that the transport/loader assembly is subject to failure on this model, and the new part is supposed to solve the problem. I sure hope so, because I am in love with this Marantz...

I'm sure others with experience with the Rega will chime in...

Happy Listening!! [8-|]

Thanks for the input. I have some HDCD albums and fewer SACD's. The latter they aren't making as many of it seems. Places such as Acoustic Sounds has some at a price. ($35 and up) For a couple titles that may be worth it but for new, previously un-listened to albums is dicey IMO. If I take my lumps it's a lesson learned but these units not really being available by omission, I'm hopeful.

• Like 1

i'm using a cambridge audio cd player as my transport, a DacMagic converts to analog.

nice thing about the DacMagic is that it has multiple inputs....so, i also run the digital stream from a logitech squeezebox receiver thru the DacMagic.

kind of a low budget solution but sounds great!

• 1 month later...