• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On March 10th in music history:

Births

1903: Bix Beiderbecke
1920: Jethro (Homer and Jethro)
1940: Dean Torrence (Jan and Dean)
1945: Pete Nelson (The Flowerpot Men)
1950: Ted McKenna (Sensational Alex Harvey Band)
1954: Tina Charles

Deaths

1988: Lavern Baker
1997: Andy Gibb
2002: Shirley Scott

Events

1937: Benny Goodman plays a gig for 21,000 jitterbugging fans at New York City's Paramount Theatre.

1955: Trumpeting their new signing, RCA Victor places a half-page ad in Billboard announcing Elvis Presley as the "new singing rage."

1956: Bobby Darin makes his first television appearance, singing "Rock Island Line" on CBS-TV'sDorsey Brothers Stage Show.

1961: Jeff Barry, later half of the famous Brill Building songwriting team Barry-Greenwich, lands his first big gig with a publisher, signing to Trinity Music.

1963: Three days after an emotional public service, Patsy Cline's body is buried quietly at Shenandoah Memorial Park in Winchester, VA.

1967: Sonny and Cher guest star as "Jerry and Ramona" on tonight's "The Hot Number Affair" episode of the NBC-TV spy spoof The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

1971: Manager Allan Klein, picked by John, George, and Ringo to handle the Beatles' affairs in the wake of Brian Epstein's death, is forbidden from managing the group after Paul, who instead preferred his father-in-law Eastman, sues for dissolution of the group. As night falls, the other three members allegedly visit Paul's home on Cavendish Avenue in London and throw a brick through one of the windows.

1979: In what has to be one of the more bizarre appearances at Nashville's Grand Ole Opry, James Brown takes the stage at the Ryman Auditorium on the invite of his good friend Porter Wagoner. James plays it straight, delivering surprisingly traditional renditions of "Tennessee Waltz" and "Your Cheatin' Heart," but also unleashing "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag." Jean Shepard is vocal in her dislike of Brown's set, but Barbra Mandrell, for one, applauds the unusual guest appearance.

1981: Jimmy Page joins Jeff Beck at a concert In London for three encore jams, marking the first time the Led Zeppelin guitarist has taken the stage since the breakup of his band.

2003: The Righteous Brothers, AC/DC, Elvis Costello and the Attractions, The Clash, The Police, and Floyd Cramer are inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in New York City.

Cat Stevens, now known as Yusuf Islam, makes his first recording since leaving the business and becoming a Muslim in 1978, covering his own 1971 hit "Peace Train" in the wake of the 9/11 attacks.

2005: Michael Jackson shows up at his child molestation trial in Los Angeles an hour late and still in his pajamas. After being threatened with jail time for making the court wait, Jackson listens to testimony from one of his former visitors at his Neverland Ranch, a teenager who testifies that the singer tried to get him drunk on soda cans filled with red wine, which he reportedly called "Jesus' Blood," and white wine or "Jesus Juice."

2008: The Dave Clark Five, The Ventures, Little Walter, Leonard Cohen, John Mellencamp, and Madonna are inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in New York City.

Releases

1962: Elvis Presley, "Good Luck Charm" b/w "Anything That's Part Of You"
1973: Pink Floyd, Dark Side Of The Moon
1975: John Lennon, "Stand By Me"

Recording

1964: Simon and Garfunkel, "The Sounds Of Silence"
1966: Bob Dylan: "Most Likely You Go Your Way (And I'll Go Mine)," "Temporary Like Achilles," "Rainy Day Women Nos. 12 & 35," "Obviously 5 Believers," "Leopard-Skin Pill-Box Hat," "I Want You"
1967: The Beatles, "Getting Better"
1970: Grand Funk Railroad, "Closer To Home"
1974: David Bowie, David Live
1975: Elvis Presley: "Fairytale," "Green, Green Grass of Home," "I Can Help," "And I Love You So"

Charts

1951: Mario Lanza's "Be My Love" hits #1
1962: Bruce Channel's "Hey! Baby" hits #1
1979: Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive" hits #1

Certifications

1972: America's LP America is certified gold

On March 11th in music history:

Births

1903: Lawrence Welk
1914: Art Todd
1943: Little Johnny Taylor
1944: Ric Rothwell (Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders)
1947: Blue Weaver (Amen Corner, Strawbs, Bee Gees)
1947: Mark Stein (Vanilla Fudge)
1948: George Kooymans (Golden Earring)
1951: Katie Kissoon (Mac and Katie Kissoon)
1957: Cheryl Lynn

Deaths

1978: Claude Francois
2004: Edmund Sylvers (The Sylvers)

Events

1958: In the wake of his marriage to 13-year-old Myra Gale Brown, his second cousin, Jerry Lee Lewis is divorced by his present (second) wife, Jane Mitcham.

1963: Manfred Mann, still known as the Mann-Hugg Blues Brothers Band, play their first gig at London's Marquee Club.

1964: The Beatles film the "I Should Have Known Better" segment of their first film, A Hard Day's Night, on a London soundstage mocked up to look like the inside of a train.

1966: James Brown is the one and only musical guest on today's episode of the UK variety showReady Steady Go!

1967: "Yesterday" by the Beatles becomes the most-covered song of all time, notching 446 recorded versions in just two years' time.

1969: The Jackson 5 sign with Motown.

1970: French film director Jean-Luc Godard holds the US premiere of his new Rolling Stones "documentary," One Plus One, which consists of unedited footage of the band composing and recording "Sympathy For The Devil," interspersed with Marxist dogma, arty junkyard and bookstore scenes, and Black Panthers demonstrating. It will be recut and released as Sympathy For The Devil.

At tonight's Grammy Awards in Los Angeles, Blood Sweat and Tears are nominated for a record 11 awards, but only win three categories, including Album (their self-titled debut). Instead, 5th Dimension's "Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In" wins Record of the Year, and Song of the Year goes to Joe South's "Games People Play." Crosby Stills and Nash will beat the Best New Artist jinx by remaining popular even after winning the award.

1971: The Doors' Jim Morrison, fleeing numerous criminal charges in the US, arrives in Paris, where he will suffer a fatal overdose four months later in the bathtub of his apartment.

1974: Albert Grossman, manager of Janis Joplin, is awarded $122,000 from Joplin' insurance policy after a court rules that the singer did indeed die accidentally.

1982: Former Shadows of Knight singer Jimy Sohns is arrested in Chicago for possession of cocaine with intent to distribute. He will serve three years.

1994: The Supremes are awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 7060 Hollywood Blvd.

1996: After the success of the Anthology juggernaut, including the "Free As A Bird" single, the remaining three Beatles are once again offered money ($225 million!) to regroup, which they once again turn down.

1997: Paul McCartney is made a Knight by Queen Elizabeth II at Buckingham Palace.

2002: Connie Francis sues her record label, Universal Music Group, for $45 million in back royalties and for allowing her songs to be used over explicit sex scenes in the movies Jawbreaker and Postcards From America.

2008: In New York, The Ventures, Leonard Cohen, and the Dave Clark Five are among those inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Releases

1970: The Beatles, "Let It Be"

Recording

1960: Duane Eddy, "Because They're Young"
1968: Elvis Presley, "Almost In Love"
1970: Bob Dylan: "Alberta," "All The Tired Horses," "Days Of '49," "Little Sadie"
1975: Elvis Presley: "Susan When She Tried," "T-R-O-U-B-L-E," "Tiger Man," "Woman Without Love," "Shake A Hand"

Charts

1950: Frankie Laine's "The Cry Of The Wild Goose" hits #1
1967: The Supremes' "Love Is Here And Now You're Gone" hits #1
1972: Neil Young's album Harvest hits #1

Certifications

1959: Elvis Presley's "A Fool Such As I" is certified gold
1968: Otis Redding's "Dock Of The Bay" is certified gold
1971: The Partridge Family's "Doesn't Somebody Want To Be Wanted" is certified gold

On March 12th in music history:

Births

1917: Leonard Chess
1938: Lew Dewitt (The Statler Brothers)
1940: Al Jarreau
1942: Brian O’Hara (The Fourmost)
1946: Liza Minnelli
1948: James Taylor
1949: Mike Gibbins (Badfinger)
1949: Bill Payne (Little Feat)
1957: Marlon Jackson (The Jackson 5)

Deaths

1955: Charlie Parker
1998: Judge Dread

Events

1953: Popular WDIA disc jockey Rufus Thomas signs with an upstart Memphis label called Sun Records in order to release a song called "Bear Cat," an answer record to Big Mama Thornton's hit "Hound Dog."

1955: Jazz gets a huge boost into the mainstream of American society -- again -- when Dave Brubeck and his group perform a triumphant concert at New York's Carnegie Hall.

1958: A Philadelphia court sentences Billie Holiday to one year probation for pleading guilty to heroin possession two years earlier.

1959: Fabian is named "Most Promising New Talent" in an American Bandstand viewers poll.

1965: In the Bahamas, the Beatles wrap up filming on their second movie, Help!.

Singer James Darren guest stars on the "Surfin' Fred" episode of ABC-TV's The Flintstones, playing a singer named, naturally, James Darrock.

1969: Elvis begins filming his thirty-first and last fictional film, Change Of Habit, in which, as a ghetto doctor, he accidentally seduces a nun played by Mary Tyler Moore. Only four songs appear in the film, one of which is a Memphis session recording, "Rubberneckin'."

Infamous London police officer Det. Sgt. Norman Pilcher, well-known for singling out and busting rock stars, enters George Harrison's house in Esher, Surrey, England and arrests the Beatle and his wife Pattie for possession of marijuana (specifically, cannabis resin). That same morning, Paul McCartney marries girlfriend Linda Eastman at the register office in Marylebone, London and again at the Anglican church in St. John's Wood. No other Beatles attend.

At tonight's Grammy Awards ceremonies, the big winners are Simon and Garfunkel, who win Record of the Year for "Mrs. Robinson," and Glen Campbell, who wins Album of the Year for By The Time I Get To Phoenix.

1971: Paul McCartney's lawsuit dissolving the Beatles is upheld when a London court grants his request to appoint a non-biased receiver to handle the group's business affairs in the wake of the band's management dispute.

1974: During his infamous "Lost Weekend," John Lennon attends the Smothers Brothers comedy show at the Troubadour in Los Angeles with singer/songwriter Harry Nilsson. A drunk Nilsson begins to heckle the brothers, thinking he's helping the show, and a drunken John helps him do it. Both are thrown out.

1996: Nancy Sinatra gives her famous white go-go boots, the ones that were made for walkin', to the Beverly Hills Hard Rock Cafe.

2003: On the eve of the Rolling Stones' first tour of China, the Chinese government provides the group with a list of provocative songs the group is prohibited from playing, including "Brown Sugar," "Honky Tonk Women," and "Let's Spend The Night Together."

2007: The Ronettes are inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in New York City.

Disappointed with his share of the profits from a cell phone commercial that was authorized to use the group's famous 1968 hit "The Weight," The Band's Levon Helm sues Cingular, the commercial's creator.

2008: An all-Beatles-song episode of FOX-TV's American Idol, seven years in the making, draws an estimated 31 million viewers.

Releases

1967: The Velvet Underground And Nico

Recording

1939: Artie Shaw, "Deep Purple"
1957: Buddy Holly, "Maybe Baby"
1961: Elvis Presley: "I'm Coming Home," "Gently," "In Your Arms," "Give Me The Right," "I Feel So Bad," "It's A Sin," "I Want You With Me," "There's Always Me"
1971: The Allman Brothers, Live At The Fillmore East
1975: Elvis Presley: "Bringing It Back," "Pieces of My Life"

On March 13th in music history:

Births

1910: Sammy Kaye
1914: Bobby Haggart
1923: Red Garland
1930: Jan Howard
1933: Mike Stoller
1934: Dick Katz
1939: Neil Sedaka
1949: Donny York (Sha Na Na)

Deaths

1998: Judge Dread

Events

1958: The Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) launches its Gold Award Program to honor artists with outstanding sales. One million units sold of a single 45 rpm record earned Gold status; in 1976, the Platinum Award was introduced for singles which moved two million units. Today, the single awards are given at the half-million (gold) and million (platinum) level of sales or downloads, with the same award qualifications for album-length releases. The Diamond Award (album sales of over 10 million) was introduced in 1999.

1959: On Friday the 13th, the Kingston Trio are nearly killed when their plane makes an emergency landing on a turkey farm in South Bend, IN.

1962: Following up his recent appearance on The Flintstones, pop idol James Darren guest stars as "Omir" on the episode "The Mechanical Man" of ABC-TV's Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea.

1964: According to Billboard, over 60 percent of all US singles currently sold are Beatles records.

1965: Disgusted with the pop direction taken with their latest single, the Graham Gouldman-penned "For Your Love," Eric Clapton quits the Yardbirds, eventually forming Cream with Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker of the Graham Bond Organization.

1966: Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass make their UK concert debut at the Hammersmith Odeon.

1968: Elvis Presley begins filming his 28th movie, Live A Little, Love A Little (wisely changed from its original title, Kiss My Firm But Pliant Lips, which was the book this film was based on). Racier and grittier than most Elvis fare, it features only four songs. One year later to the day, his 29th film, the equally gritty Western Charro! is released, featuring one song only, over the opening credits.

1975: George Jones and Tammy Wynette divorce after six years.

1987: Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band are honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 1750 Vine Street.

Releases

none

Recording

1942: Bing Crosby and Mary Martin, "Wait Till The Sun Shines, Nellie"
1961: Elvis Presley: "Starting Today," "Sentimental Me," "Judy," "Put The Blame On Me"
1962: Ricky Nelson, "Travelin' Man"
1963: The Beatles, "Thank You Girl"
1967: The Beatles, "Good Morning Good Morning"

Charts

1954: Jo Stafford's "Make Love To Me!" hits #1
1965: The Beatles' "Eight Days A Week" hits #1
1965: Freddie and the Dreamers' "I'm Telling You Now" enters the charts
1971: Brewer and Shipley's "One Toke Over The Line" enters the charts
1976: The Four Seasons' "December, 1963 (Oh, What A Night)" hits #1
1976: Johnnie Taylor's "Disco Lady" hits #1 R&B

Certifications

1968: The Byrds' Greatest Hits LP is certified gold

On March 14th in music history:

Births

1912: Les Brown
1931: Phil Phillips
1933: Quincy Jones
1934: Shirley Scott
1943: Jim Pons (The Turtles)
1945: Walter Parazaider (Chicago)
1945: Michael Martin Murphy
1950: Rick Dees

Deaths

1970: Mary Ann Ganser (The Shangri-Las)
1991: Doc Pomus

Events

1955: Popular country star Jimmy Dean interviews Elvis Presley on Dean's Washington, DC television show Town and Country Time. A nervous Elvis answers every question with "yep" and "nope."

1956: The Alan Freed film Rock Around The Clock, starring The Platters and, naturally, Bill Haley and His Comets, premieres in New York City.

1958: The RIAA awards its first-ever gold record for sales of a million copies, the honor going to Perry Como's "Catch A Falling Star."

1960: Sam Cooke begins an unprecedented tour of the West Indies with a concert in Jamaica's Montego Bay.

1963: Gerry Marsden of the Pacemakers sneaks a custom-made guitar purchased in Germany through British customs and is fined sixty pounds.

1964: Billboard Magazine reports that sales of Beatles singles account for a full sixty percent of that lucrative format.

1965: Petula Clark makes her American TV debut singing "Downtown" and "I Know A Place" on CBS-TV's Ed Sullivan Show.

1968: The BBC-TV program Top Of The Pops broadcasts the Beatles' new promotional video for "Lady Madonna," which, oddly enough, is made up entirely of clips from the band's recording of "Hey Bulldog."

1972: At tonight's Grammy Awards, Carole King's massively popular Tapestry LP is awarded Album of The Year.

1974: Stevie Wonder announces his intention to move to Ghana, Africa. He wouldn't actually move there for 21 years.

1980: On the occasion of his forty-seventh birthday, Quincy Jones is awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 1500 Vine.

1981: Bleeding ulcers force Eric Clapton to cancel the remainder of his 60-date US tour and check himself into a hospital in St. Paul, MN.

1992: A phony bomb threat disrupts a Jay and the Americans concert in Long Island, New York.

2005: In New York City, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inducts Percy Sledge, The O'Jays, U2, Buddy Guy, and the Pretenders.

2008: In London, Ex-Foundations member Peter MacBeth is sentenced to six years on pedophilia and sexual assault charges.

Releases

none

Recording

1941: Xavier Cugat, "Babalu"

Charts

1959: Elvis Presley's LP For LP Fans Only enters the charts
1964: The Beatles' "Twist And Shout" enters the charts
1970: The Supremes' "Up the Ladder To The Roof" enters the charts
1970: John Lennon's "Instant Karma! (We All Shine On)" hits #1

Certifications

1958: Perry Como's "Catch A Falling Star" is certified gold

On March 15th in music history:

Births

1912: Lightnin' Hopkins
1931: D.J. Fontana
1931: Les Cooper
1932: Arif Mardin
1936: Howard Greenfield
1940: Phil Lesh (The Grateful Dead)
1941: Mike Love (The Beach Boys)
1942: Jerry Jeff Walker
1944: Sly Stone
1944: David Costell (Gary Lewis and the Playboys)
1946: Howard Scott (War)
1947: Ry Cooder
1947: Frank Lugo (? and the Mysterians)

Deaths

1929: Pinetop Smith
2002: Marshall Lieb (The Teddy Bears)

Events

1956: The musical My Fair Lady opens on Broadway at the Mark Hellinger Theatre.

1958: Elvis Presley performs his last concert before leaving for the Army, a show at Memphis' Russwood Park. Aside from two benefit shows in 1961, this would be the last Presley concert until 1969.

1965: Elvis Presley begins filming his 19th movie, Harum Scarum, in Los Angeles.

1966: Tonight's winners at the Grammy Awards in New York City: Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass for "A Taste Of Honey" (Record Of The Year), Frank Sinatra's September Of My Years (Album Of The Year), and "The Shadow Of Your Smile" (Song Of The Year).

1969: John Lennon and Yoko Ono, attempting to marry in Paris, are caught "standing in the dock at Southampton / Trying to get to Holland or France," as later documented in the Beatles song "The Ballad Of John And Yoko." Passport problems keep them from boarding.

1971: CBS-TV announces it will cancel The Ed Sullivan Show, then the longest-running TV show in history, after 23 years.

1972: After Los Angeles station KHJ broadcasts Donny Osmond's version of "Puppy Love" for 25 1/2 hours straight, worried callers summon the local police, who break into the studio, convinced that hippies or anarchists have taken it over. Turns out it was just a publicity stunt.

1975: Mick Jagger settles his paternity suit with singer Marsha Hunt out of court.

1978: The Alan Freed biopic American Hot Wax, widely considered one of the best rock and roll movies of all time, premieres in New York City, featuring appearances and performances by Jerry Lee Lewis, Chuck Berry, and Screamin' Jay Hawkins.

1979: Elvis Costello gets in an infamous argument with Stephen Stills and Bonnie Bramlett of Delaney and Bonnie fame at an afterparty following Stills' show in Columbus, OH. In an attempt, reportedly, to get Bramlett so disgusted she'd stop arguing, a drunk Costello refers to James Brown as a "jive-*** n*****" and Ray Charles as a "blind, ignorant n******." "It became necessary for me to outrage these people with about the most obnoxious and offensive remarks that I could muster," Costello explained at the next day's press conference. Bramlett responded at the bar by punching Costello in the face. Elvis later apologizes to Brown and Charles personally and does some work with the Rock Against Racism project.

1982: Bob Dylan is inducted, somewhat belatedly, into the Songwriters Hall Of Fame.

1989: The Rolling Stones sign a contract for $70 million -- the largest ever amount to that time -- for their upcoming US tour.

1999: The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame inducts Curtis Mayfield, Del Shannon, Dusty Springfield, Paul McCartney, The Staple Singers, Billy Joel, and Bruce Springsteen at their annual ceremony in New York City. Marking their reunion after ten years, Springsteen performs at the ceremony with the E Street Band.

2004: The Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame inducts Bob Seger, George Harrison, The Dells, ZZ Top, Jackson Browne, Prince, and Traffic at their annual ceremony in New York City.

2006: Remnants of Fats Domino's three pianos are discovered and saved by the Louisiana State Museum after attempting to salvage his Ninth Ward home after Hurricane Katrina.

2008: The musical I Am Who I Am, based on the life of singer Teddy Pendergrass, opens in Chicago.

Releases

1962: Bobby Darin, Bobby Darin Sings Ray Charles
1965: Freddie and the Dreamers, "I'm Telling You Now"
1976: KISS, Destroyer

Recording

1954: The Chords, "Sh-Boom"
1955: Fats Domino, "Ain't It (That) A Shame"
1966: Sandy Posey, "Born A Woman"
1967: The Beatles, "Within You Without You"
1971: Elvis Presley: "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face," "Amazing Grace," "Early Morning Rain," "That's What You Get For Lovin' Me," "It Won't Seem Like Christmas," "If I Get Home On Christmas Day," "Padre," "Holly Leaves And Christmas Trees," "Merry Christmas, Baby," "Silver Bells"
1975: Elvis Presley: "Bringing It Back," "Pieces of My Life"

Charts

1952: Kay Starr's "Wheel Of Fortune" hits #1
1969: Tommy Roe's "Dizzy" hits #1
1973: Elton John's LP Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player hits #1
1975: Olivia Newton-John's LP Have You Never Been Mellow hits #1
1975: The Doobie Brothers' "Black Water" hits #1

On March 16th in music history:

Births

1902: Guitar Slim
1942: Jerry Jeff Walker
1942: Betty Johnson
1948: Michael Bruce (Alice Cooper)
1954: Nancy Wilson (Heart)

Deaths

1970: Tammi Terrell
1975: T-Bone Walker
1983: Arthur Godfrey
1993: Johnny Cymbal
1996: Charles Pope
2005: Jakson Spires (Blackfoot)

Events

1959: The first American package tour to visit the UK is announced, featuring performers Bobby Darin, Duane Eddy, Conway Twitty, Dale Hawkins, and the Poni Tails.

1964: The final nail in legendary DJ Alan Freed's career is nailed in when Freed is indicted for tax evasion, charges brought about because of findings from the "payola scandal" investigations of 1959.

1967: Pink Floyd enters London's Abbey Road studios to begin production on their debut album Piper At The Gates Of Dawn..

1971: At tonight's Grammy Awards ceremonies in Los Angeles, the Beatles win Best Original Score for their Let It Be tracks, while Simon and Garfunkel clean up with six Grammies for the song and album Bridge Over Troubled Water (Record, Album and Song of the Year, as well as Best Arrangement, Engineering, and Contemporary Song).

1974: Elvis Presley returns to Memphis to play his first gig there since 1961, a show at the MidSouth Coliseum.

Embattled US President Richard Nixon dedicates the new multimedia auditorium in Nashville that will serve as the new home of the long-running "Grand Ole Opry" show. Then, at the behest of Roy Acuff, he sticks around to perform "Happy Birthday," "My Wild Irish Rose," and "God Bless America" on piano. (No, really.)

1975: The historic Rainbow Theatre in London closes its doors after a final performance by (among others) Procol Harum and Richard & Linda Thompson.

1979: Paul McCartney's concert film Wings Over America has its first television airing on CBS-TV.

1999: The RIAA gives the first Diamond Award certification, honoring ten million records sold, to the Eagles' Greatest Hits 1971-1975.

2005: Billy Joel enters rehab for the second time, ostensibly for "gastrointestinal distress" but in reality to cure his alcoholism.

2010: ABBA, The Hollies, and Jimmy Cliff, among others, are inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Releases

1955: Roy Hamilton, "Unchained Melody"
1959: Elvis Presley, "(Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I"
1963: Peter, Paul and Mary, "Puff The Magic Dragon"
1964: The Beatles, "Can't Buy Me Love" b/w "You Can't Do That"

Recording

1958: The Coasters, "Yakety Yak"
1962: Bobby Vinton, "Roses Are Red"
1971: Bob Dylan: "Watching The River Flow," "When I Paint My Masterpiece"
1971: Elvis Presley: "The Lord's Prayer," "On A Snowy Christmas Night," "Winter Wonderland," "Don't Think Twice, It's All Right," "O Come, All Ye Faithful," "The First Noel," "The Wonderful World Of Christmas"

Charts

1955: Bill Hayes' "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett" hits #1
1968: Otis Redding's "(Sittin' On) The Dock Of The Bay" hits #1
1974: Barbra Streisand's album The Way We Were hits #1

Certifications

1964: The Beatles' "Can't Buy Me Love" is certified gold

Happy 58th Birthday Nancy Wilson! [;)]

On March 17th in music hostory:

Births

1919: Nat "King" Cole
1935: Adam Wade
1938: Zola Taylor (The Platters)
1941: Paul Kantner (Jefferson Airplane/Starship)
1941: Clarence Collins (Little Anthony and the Imperials)
1944: John Sebastian (The Lovin' Spoonful)
1944: Bob Johnson (Steeleye Span)
1944: Pat McCauley (Them)
1946: Harold Brown (War)
1948: Patrick Lloyd (The Equals)
1951: Scott Gorham (Thin Lizzy)
1954: Wally Stocker (The Babys)

Deaths

1982: Samuel George Jr. (The Capitols)
1990: Rick Grech (Family, Blind Faith, Traffic)
1996: Terry Stafford
2008: Ola Brunkert (ABBA)
2010: Alex Chilton (The Box Tops, Big Star)

Events

1956: Carl Perkins makes his television debut on the ABC variety show Ozark Jamboree.

Rock Around The Clock, starring Little Richard, The Platters, and Bill Haley and his Comets (of course), premieres in Washington DC.

1957: Elvis Presley purchases Memphis' Graceland mansion, featuring 23 rooms and 10,000 square feet of space on 13.8 acres, for $102,500.

1962: In a major development for British rock and roll, Alexis Korner's Blues Incorporated becomes the Saturday night house band at the Ealing jazz club in London.

Ray Charles starts his own artist-owned record label, Tangerine.

1968: The Bee Gees make their US television debut, performing "To Love Somebody" and "Words" on CBS' Ed Sullivan Show.

1975: At the height of her popularity, Cher makes the cover of Time magazine.

1976: Boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter's murder case is reopened, largely due to the attention brought upon it by Bob Dylan's recent hit song "Hurricane."

1978: Perhaps the greatest film about the 50's rock and roll scene, American Hot Wax, premieres in Cleveland, featuring performances by Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, and Frankie Ford.

1990: That's What Friends Are For, an AIDS benefit concert at Radio City Music Hall that also serves to celebrate 15 years of the Arista label, features performances by label artists Barry Manilow, Dionne Warwick, Hall and Oates, and Whitney Houston.

2004: Ray Davies of the Kinks is awarded a Commander of the British Empire medal from Queen Elizabeth II at Buckingham Palace.

2006: Beset by financial and legal woes, Michael Jackson closes his Neverland Ranch in California.

2008: Eight years to the day that their romance became public, model and activist Heather Mills is awarded $48.6 million in her divorce settlement from Paul McCartney.

Releases

1962: The Shirelles, "Soldier Boy"
1969: Cream, "Badge"
1977: Elvis Presley, Welcome To My World

Recording

1955: Sarah Vaughan, "Whatever Lola Wants"
1967: The Beatles, "She's Leaving Home"
1967: Bobby Vee, "Come Back When You Grow Up"
1971: Elvis Presley: "Help Me Make It Through The Night," "Lady Madonna," "Lead Me, Guide Me"

Charts

1958: The Champs' "Tequila" hits #1
1973: Eric Weissberg's album Dueling Banjos hits #1

Certifications

1969: Eddie Holman's "Hey There Lonely Girl" is certified gold
1970: The Beatles' "Let It Be" is certified gold

Births

Deaths

Events

1956: Carl Perkins makes his television debut on the ABC variety show Ozark Jamboree.

Rock Around The Clock, starring Little Richard, The Platters, and Bill Haley and his Comets (of course), premieres in Washington DC.

1957: Elvis Presley purchases Memphis' Graceland mansion, featuring 23 rooms and 10,000 square feet of space on 13.8 acres, for $102,500.

1962: In a major development for British rock and roll, Alexis Korner's Blues Incorporated becomes the Saturday night house band at the Ealing jazz club in London.

1968: The Bee Gees make their US television debut, performing "To Love Somebody" and "Words" on CBS' Ed Sullivan Show.

1976: Boxer Rubin "Hurricane" Carter's murder case is reopened, largely due to the attention brought upon it by Bob Dylan's recent hit song "Hurricane."

1978: Perhaps the greatest film about the 50's rock and roll scene, American Hot Wax, premieres in Cleveland, featuring performances by Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Screamin' Jay Hawkins, and Frankie Ford.

1990: That's What Friends Are For, an AIDS benefit concert at Radio City Music Hall that also serves to celebrate 15 years of the Arista label, features performances by label artists Barry Manilow, Dionne Warwick, Hall and Oates, and Whitney Houston.

2004: Ray Davies of the Kinks is awarded a Commander of the British Empire medal from Queen Elizabeth II at Buckingham Palace.

2006: Beset by financial and legal woes, Michael Jackson closes his Neverland Ranch in California.

2008: Eight years to the day that their romance became public, model and activist Heather Mills is awarded $48.6 million in her divorce settlement from Paul McCartney.

Releases

Recording

1971: Elvis Presley: "Help Me Make It Through The Night," "Lady Madonna," "Lead Me, Guide Me"

Charts

Certifications

Births

Deaths

Events

Releases

Recording

Charts

Certifications

On March 18th in music history:

Births

1936: Robert Lee Smith (The Tams)
1938: Charlie Pride
1941: Wilson Pickett
1947: B.J. Wilson (Procul Harum)
1950: John Hartman (The Doobie Brothers)

Deaths

2001: John Phillips (The Mamas and the Papas)
2010: Fess Parker

Events

1902: Opera legend Enrico Caruso begins his path to becoming the world's first recording star when he waxes ten songs for Italy's Gramophone and Typewriter Company.

1939: Frank Sinatra makes his very first recording, a demo called "Our Love," recorded with the Frank Mane band.

1958: Jerry Lee Lewis becomes the first musician to appear on American Bandstand actually singing and not lip-synching his performance. Singing "Great Balls Of Fire," "Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On," and "Breathless" live, he also becomes the first guest to perform three songs on the program.

1959: EMI announces its intention to halt production of 78 rpm records.

1960: Rio Bravo, the classic Howard Hawks/John Wayne Western that also stars Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson, opens in US theaters.

1965: In a scandal that cements their reputation as bad boys (and which may have been planned by manager Andrew Loog Oldham), the Rolling Stones are arrested for publicly urinating on the side of a gas station in Essex after a show.

The Standells guest star as themselves on tonight's "Far-Out Munsters" episode of CBS-TV'sThe Munsters.

1967: Steve Winwood, teenage singer/organist formerly with the Spencer Davis Group, forms Traffic with Jim Capaldi, Dave Mason, and Chris Wood.

1972: Ringo Starr, in his first directing role, films tonight's T. Rex concert in Wembley for his upcoming Marc Bolan documentary Born To Boogie.

1973: At Earl's Court in London, Pink Floyd perform their just-released album Dark Side Of The Moon in its entirety for the first time.

1975: Ken Russell's bizarre and controversial film of the Who's rock opera Tommy premieres in New York.

1976: David Bowie has his first starring role on film as the alien fantasy The Man Who Fell To Earthpremieres in London.

1978: Barry Gibb of the Bee Gees occupies the top three spots on the Billboard charts as a songwriter and producer: Samantha Sang's "Emotion" at #3, younger brother Andy Gibb's "(Love Is) Thicker Than Water" at #2, and the Bee Gees' own "Night Fever" in the top spot for the first of eight solid weeks.

1982: Returning from a Philadelphia basketball game, Teddy Pendergrass is permanently paralyzed from the waist down when the brakes on his Rolls Royce fail, causing him to cross into oncoming traffic and crash into a tree. Miraculously, he returns to the stage in 1984.

1992: Donna Summer is awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 7000 Hollywood Blvd.

1994: Darryl Jones replaces longtime bassist Bill Wyman in the Rolling Stones.

The New Orleans suburb of Kenner, LA, renames a section of 4th Street as Lloyd Price Avenue in honor of the musician, who grew up in the area.

2002: Liza Minelli marries her fourth husband, promoter David Gest, in New York. Natalie Cole sings "Unforgettable" at the ceremony, and Dionne Warwick, Petula Clark, and the Doobie Brothers all play at the opulent reception. The union would last not quite a year and a half.

In New York, Isaac Hayes, Brenda Lee, and Gene Pitney (among others) are inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Releases

1967: The Five Americans, "Western Union"
1968: The Beatles, "Lady Madonna"

Recording

1960: The Everly Brothers, "Cathy's Clown"

Charts

1950: Teresa Brewer's "Music! Music! Music!" hits #1
1967: The Beatles' "Penny Lane" hits #1
1972: Neil Young's "Heart Of Gold" hits #1
1978: The Bee Gees' "Night Fever" hits #1

Certifications

1970: Brook Benton's "Rainy Night In Georgia" is certified gold

On March 19th in music history:

Births

1914: Patricia Morison
1930: Ornette Coleman
1930: Bill Henderson
1937: Clarence "Frogman" Henry
1942: Robin Luke
1946: Ruth Pointer (The Pointer Sisters)
1946: Paul Atkinson (The Zombies)
1955: Derek Longmuir (The Bay City Rollers)

Deaths

1976: Paul Kossoff (Free)
2007: Luther Ingram

Events

1957: Although he wouldn't finalize the deal for six more days, Elvis Presley puts down a deposit to secure the 14-acre estate with a two-story colonial at 3734 Highway 51 South, Memphis, TN., later known as Graceland.

1958: As Tom and Jerry, Simon and Garfunkel release their third single, a ditty named "Our Song" (BIG 616).

1964: British PM Harold Wilson, who would later be satirized in the band's song "Taxman," presents the Beatles with the award for being "Show Business Personalities of 1963" at the Variety Club of Great Britain Annual Show Business Awards.

1965: Britain's Tailor and Cutter magazine runs an article by tie makers asking the Rolling Stones to start wearing ties with their suits, a fashion which had recently gone out of style among the youth. Mick Jagger responds, diplomatically, that ties would only give screaming female fans something else to grab onto in a crowd.

1966: The Walker Brothers' Gary Lewis undergoes a fake abduction by college students as a charity stunt.

Lesley Gore guest stars as herself on the final "By Line -- Jeffrey Stone" episode of ABC-TV's The Donna Reed Show.

1970: David Bowie marries model Mary Angela Barnett, his first wife and the eventual subject of the Rolling Stones' 1974 hit, "Angie," in Kent, England.

1971: Teen idol Bobby Sherman guest stars as songwriter "Bobby Conway" on the "A Knight In Shining Armor" episode of ABC-TV's The Partridge Family.

1974: Jefferson Airplane reform with the core of their original members, rechristening themselves Jefferson Starship.

1978: Billy Joel plays his first live gig in the UK, performing at London's Drury Lane Theatre.

1980: Elvis Presley's autopsy is entered into proceedings held by the Tennessee Board of Medical Examiners against Dr. George Nichopoulos, better known to his clients -- including Elvis -- as "Dr. Nick." The doctor will eventually be found guilty of overprescribing the drugs that led to The King's death and will have his license revoked, even though he repeatedly took measures to cure Presley of his addiction.

1988: Michael Jackson begins construction on his 2,800-acre ranch and private amusement park in Santa Barbara, CA, which he will name "Neverland" after a fantasy location in his favorite book, Peter Pan, a place where children never grow up.

2003: The musical Cliff, based on the life of Cliff Richard, opens in London's East End.

2004: After she has an allergic reaction to antibiotics, Aretha Franklin is admitted to Detroit's Sinai-Grace Hospital.

Releases

none

Recording

1941: Jimmy Dorsey, "Green Eyes"
1971: Elvis Presley: "Miracle Of The Rosary," "Seeing Is Believing," "It's Still Here," "I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen," "I Will Be True"

Charts

none

Certifications

1968: Dean Martin's LP Houston is certified gold

On March 20th in music history:

Births

1906: Ozzie Nelson
1918: Marian McPartland
1922: Larry Elgart
1937: Jerry Reed
1937: Joe Rivers (Johnnie and Joe)
1941: Vito Picone (The Elegants)
1950: Carl Palmer (Emerson, Lake and Palmer)
1951: Jimmie Vaughan (The Fabulous Thunderbirds)

Deaths

1988: Gil Evans

Events

1959: Dick Clark protege and teen idol Bobby Rydell makes his first television appearance, naturally enough, on ABC-TV's American Bandstand.

1961: Elvis begins filming his ninth movie, Blue Hawaii, on location.

1964: The Beatles make their first appearance on the British television show Ready Steady Go!, miming along, as was the custom, to "Can't Buy Me Love," "It Won't Be Long," and "You Can't Do That."

1965: After a celebratory formal street parade, Motown's first UK package tour begins at Finsbury Park Astoria, in London, featuring The Supremes, The Temptations, Stevie Wonder, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, and Martha & the Vandellas.

1968: In Los Angeles, Eric Clapton and three members of Buffalo Springfield -- Neil Young, Jim Messina, and Richie Furay -- are arrested for suspicion of marijuana use. The band members are eventually found guilty and fined, while Clapton beats the charges.

1969: After days of looking for a suitable and legal place, John Lennon finally gets to marry Yoko Ono at the Rock of Gibraltar in Spain, a piece of land still owned by the English and described by Lennon as being necessarily "quiet, friendly, and British." Later, in the Beatles song "The Ballad Of John And Yoko," he describes the site as "Gibraltar, near Spain," unintentionally setting off an international furor, as England and Spain were currently at odds over ownership of the area.

1976: Alice Cooper marries his first and only wife, Sheryl Goddard, a 19-year-old dancer on his Welcome To My Nightmare tour.

1977: T. Rex plays what is to be their last concert before the untimely death of leader Marc Bolan in a car accident, a gig at Portsmouth, England club The Locarno.

1980: Joseph Riviera, 28, a truck driver from New York, breaks into the offices of record label Asylum, takes the office manager hostage, and demands to see label artists Jackson Browne and/or The Eagles so that they can help finance his trucking business. After he realizes the artists in question aren't actually in the building, he surrenders to police.

1989: After 37 years on the air, Dick Clark announces he will discontinue hosting his creation, ABC-TV's highly influential American Bandstand. The show continues with another host, but folds for good soon after.

1991: Eric Clapton's son Conor, all of four years old, dies after falling from the 53rd story window of his mother's apartment in New York. (The guitarist was staying at a hotel not far away, having taken Conor to the circus the night before.) A shaken Clapton later writes the hit song "Tears In Heaven" as a way to help him through the grief.

Michael Jackson signs the largest contract renewal in history to that time, inking a $65 million deal with Sony.

2003: On the day the Iraq war begins, Bruce Springsteen opens his Melbourne, Australia show with a quiet, acoustic version of his hit "Born In The U.S.A." and follows it, pointedly, with a cover of Edwin Starr's "War."

2004: The University of Washington presents Quincy Jones with an honorary doctorate in Music.

Releases

none

Recording

1960: Elvis Presley: "Make Me Know It," "Soldier Boy"
1961: Ricky Nelson, "Hello Mary Lou"
1963: George Hamilton IV, "Abilene"
1971: Elvis Presley: "I'm Leavin'," "We Can Make The Morning," "I Shall Be Released," "It's Only Love," "I Will Be True"
1972: Ringo Starr, "Back Off, Boogaloo"

Charts

1957: Bobby Helms' "Fraulein" enters the country and western charts
1961: Elvis Presley's "Surrender" hits #1
1971: Janis Joplin's "Me And Bobby McGee" hits #1
1976: Boz Scaggs' LP Silk Degrees enters the charts

Certifications

1967: The Beatles' "Penny Lane" b/w "Strawberry Fields Forever" is certified gold

On March 21st in music history:

Births

1902: Son House
1918: Sir Charles Thompson
1919: Billy Joe Hunter
1923: Mort Lindsey
1930: Otis Spann
1940: Solomon Burke
1941: John Boylan
1943: Viv Stanshall (Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band)
1945: Rosemary Stone (Sly and the Family Stone)
1946: Ray Dorset (Mungo Jerry)
1950: Roger Hodgson (Supertramp)
1951: Russell Thompkins Jr. (The Stylistics)
1953: Robert Johnson (KC and the Sunshine Band)

Deaths

1987: Dean Paul Martin (Dino, Desi and Billy)
1991: Leo Fender
2002: John "Speedy" Keene (Thunderclap Newman)
2004: Johnny Bristol

Events

1952: At the Cleveland Arena, influential DJ Alan Freed holds what is today considered the first true "rock and roll concert," as his Moondog Coronation Ball features Billy Ward and the Dominoes, Tiny Grimes, and Paul Williams and the Hucklebuckers. With ten thousand attendees (and twice that many outside, waiting to get in), the local police shut the concert down prematurely for fire code violations, causing a near-riot.

1956: After performing in Norfolk, VA (with Gene Vincent opening), and en route to New York to appear on The Perry Como Show, Carl Perkins is badly injured in a Dover, DE car crash that also kills his manager and his brother Jay. The crash derails Perkins career, almost for good, as he is forced to spend months in the hospital nursing a fractured neck, broken collarbone, and a severe concussion, while Elvis Presley has an ever bigger hit with Carl's hit "Blue Suede Shoes."

1961: The Beatles, still featuring Pete Best on drums, play their first evening gig at Liverpool's Cavern Club, opening for an act called The Bluegenes (later the Swinging Blue Jeans of "Hippy Hippy Shake" fame).

1963: Barbra Streisand marries her first husband, actor Elliott Gould, whom she'd met while both were performing in the Broadway hit I Can Get It for You Wholesale.

1964: Dean Martin immortalizes his handprints in the cement of Grauman's Chinese Theatre in Hollywood.

Judy Collins is catapulted into stardom after a momentous appearance at New York's Carnegie Hall.

1967: John Lennon takes his first major LSD trip and freaks out while recording backing vocals on the track "Getting Better." Producer George Martin, not realizing the effects of the drug, takes Lennon to the roof of Abbey Road Studios to get some fresh air. Paul and George, upon learning where John was, rush up to get him down. The group works on a piano track for "Lovely Rita" instead.

1973: After screaming teenage David Cassidy fangirls cause a riot on the set of the BBC TV show Top Of The Pops, the program bans all future teen idols from performing.

1976: David Bowie and Iggy Pop are arrested in New York and charged with marijuana possession, charges which are later dropped.

1984: John Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono, dedicates a section of New York City's Central Park as a place of meditation called Strawberry Fields. Every December 9, thousands of fans converge on the spot to remember her last husband, who was murdered by a deranged fan on that day in 1980.

1990: Tony Orlando is awarded a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 6385 Hollywood Boulevard.

1994: Bruce Springsteen wins an Oscar for penning the song "Streets Of Philadelphia" for the Tom Hanks movie Philadelphia.

2003: Roxy Music's Bryan Ferry divorces his first wife, model Lucy Helmore, after 21 years, on grounds of adultery.

2006: After a six-year legal battle, the three surviving daughters of African musician Solomon Linda are awarded one-quarter of all future royalties from the Tokens' 1961 hit "The Lion Sleeps Tonight." The court ruled that the song, which the Tokens adapted from a Pete Seeger song called "Wimoweh," which was actually Linda's 1939 adaptation of a native folk song. Linda, who died in 1962, had nothing to leave to his family, who were destitute at the time of the ruling.

2008: Five years of legal wrangling comes to a close after the Beach Boys' Mike Love and Brian Wilson sued former member Al Jardine in an attempt to stop him from using the name while touring with his own band. Jardine's lawyer, while not disclosing the terms of the agreement, said his client "feels very happy and feels that this is a friendly settlement that allows them to focus on the talent and future of this American iconic band," words that have Beach Boys fans hopeful for the possibility of a full-scale group reunion.

Releases

1970: The Faces, First Step

Recording

1939: Kate Smith, "God Bless America"
1960: Elvis Presley: "Stuck On You," "Fame And Fortune," "A Mess Of Blues," "It Feels So Right"
1961: Elvis Presley: "Hawaiian Sunset," "Ku-u-i-po," "No More," "Slicin' Sand"
1967: The Beatles, "Lovely Rita"
1971: "Love Me, Love The Life I Lead"

Charts

1953: Patti Page's "How Much Is That Doggie In The Window?" hits #1
1964: The Beatles' "She Loves You" hits #1

On March 22nd in music history:

Births

1930: Stephen Sondheim
1932: Juke Boy Bonner
1936: Roger Whittaker
1937: Johnny Ferguson
1943: Keith Relf
1943: George Benson
1944: Jeremy Clyde (Chad and Jeremy)
1944: Tony McPhee (The Groundhogs)
1947: Harry Vanda (The Easybeats)
1947: Patrick Olive (Hot Chocolate)
1948: Andrew Lloyd Webber
1948: Randy Hobbs (The McCoys)

Deaths

1986: Mark Dinning
1991: Dave Guard (The Kingston Trio)
1994: Dan Hartman
1996: Don Murray (The Turtles)
2001: Earl Beal (The Silhouettes)
2005: Rod Price (Foghat)

Events

1955: New York's Coral Records hires DJ Alan Freed for A&R duties, and gives him his own contract to record under his name.

1956: Sammy Davis, Jr. becomes an instant celebrity when he stars in the Broadway play Mr. Wonderful.

1958: Hank Williams Jr. makes his stage debut, at the age of eight, singing on stage in Swainsboro, GA.

1962: 19-year-old Barbra Streisand becomes an instant celebrity when she stars in the Broadway play I Can Get It For You Wholesale.

1967: Elvis Presley begins filming his 25th movie, Clambake, in Los Angeles.

The Who make their US stage debut, performing at the Paramount Theater in New York City.

1971: The Allman Brothers are arrested at a truck stop in Jackson, AL, and charged with possession of marijuana and heroin.

1975: Barry Manilow makes his first US television appearance, performing "Mandy" and "It's A Miracle" on ABC-TV's American Bandstand.

1976: While campaigning for US President, Jimmy Carter tells NARM (The National Association of Record Merchandisers) that he listened to Dylan, the Grateful Dead, and Led Zeppelin while Governor of Georgia.

1977: ABC-TV airs the John Denver special Thank God I'm A Country Boy.

1978: The Rutles: All You Need Is Cash, a Beatles parody special that grew out of sketches on ex-Monty Python member Eric Idle's show Rutland Weekend Television, gets its first US airing on ABC-TV.

1979: Chaka Khan gives birth to her second child, Damien Milton Patrick Holland.

1994: Ted Nugent, always a straight arrow, makes a PSA warning kids of the dangers of abusing inhalants.

1997: Paul McCartney's original birth certificate is sold to a private Beatles collector for $84,146.

2000: An audience member falls 90 feet off of an electrical tower at a KISS concert in at California's Oakland Arena.

2006: Aerosmith lead singer Steven Tyler's upcoming throat surgery forces the band to cancel their latest tour North America, sparking rumors that Tyler is in fact battling throat cancer.

Releases

1963: The Beatles, Please Please Me
1965: Bob Dylan, Bringing It All Back Home
1967: Elvis Presley, Easy Come, Easy Go
1971: Elvis Presley, You'll Never Walk Alone
1971: John Lennon, "Power To The People"
1974: The Eagles, On The Border

Recording

1955: Johnny Cash, "Hey Porter"
1961: Dee Clark, "Raindrops"
1961: Elvis Presley, "Blue Hawaii," "Ito Eats," "Hawaiian Wedding Song," "Island Of Love," "Steppin' Out Of Line," "Almost Always True"
1967: The Beatles, "Within You Without You"

Charts

1975: Frankie Valli's "My Eyes Adored You" hits #1
1975: Led Zeppelin's LP Physical Graffiti hits #1

On March 23rd in music history:

Births

1952: Dave Bartram (Showaddywaddy)
1953: Chaka Khan

Deaths

2008: Neil Aspinall

Events

1955: The juvenile-delinquent flick The Blackboard Jungle premieres in US theaters. While it is a solid and even daring drama, it's remembered mainly for prominently featuring Bill Haley and His Comets' "Rock Around The Clock." The single, which had been released a full year earlier to little fanfare, rockets back into the charts and straight to #1, kicking off the rock and roll era in earnest.

Elvis Presley, along with bandmates Scotty Moore and Bill Black, audition for Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts show in New York with a surprisingly tepid version of "Milkcow Blues Boogie." They are subsequently rejected.

1956: At a Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers concert in Hartford, CT, eleven audience members are arrested for allegedly inciting a riot.

1960: Songwriter and future superstar Carole King gives birth to her first child, a daughter named Louise, with husband and writing partner Gerry Goffin.

1964: John Lennon's first whimsical, Lewis Carroll-like book of prose and poetry, In His Own Write, is published.

1969: In response to the Doors' infamous recent concert there (at which lead singer Jim Morrison allegedly exposed himself), a "Rally For Decency" is held in Miami featuring Jackie Gleason, The Lettermen, Kate Smith, and Anita Bryant and promising that the crowd of 30,000 will contain no "longhairs and weird dressers."

1970: Phil Spector takes the tapes for the aborted Beatles project "Get Back" into Abbey Road Studios to begin reshaping them into the album that would eventually be called Let It Be. Meanwhile, in the next room over, Paul McCartney works on his first solo album.

1977: Elvis Presley begins what will be his last tour with a concert at Arizona State University.

1985: John Fogerty engineers an amazing comeback when his LP Centerfield becomes a Number 1 hit 15 years after the breakup of Creedence Clearwater Revival.

Billy Joel marries supermodel Christie Brinkley on a boat in New York Harbor, near the Statue of Liberty. The marriage will last ten years.

Releases

1957: Elvis Presley, "All Shook Up"
1959: Bobby Darin, That's All
1973: Paul McCartney and Wings, "My Love"

Recording

1959: Ray Peterson, "The Wonder Of You"
1961: Elvis Presley: "Aloha-Oe," "Can't Help Falling In Love," "Beach Boy Blues," "Rock-A-Hula Baby"
1963: Johnny Cash, "Ring Of Fire"
1967: The Beatles, "Getting Better"

Charts

1959: The Skyliners' "Since I Don't Have You" enters the charts
1963: Ruby and the Romantics' "Our Day Will Come" hits #1
1974: Cher's "Dark Lady" hits #1

On March 24th in music history:

Births

1912: Nervous Norvus
1922: Dave Appell (The Applejacks)
1937: Billy Stewart
1948: Lee Oskar (War)
1949: Nick Lowe
1951: Dougie Thomson (Supertramp)
1952: Dave Bartram (Showaddywaddy)

Deaths

1997: Harold Melvin (Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes)
2005: Rod Price (Foghat)
2007: Henson Cargill
2009: Uriel Jones

Events

1935: The godfather of all broadcast talent shows,Major Bowes' Original Amateur Hour, moves from a New York show to national prominence with a new slot on the NBC radio network. In 1952, the show, now hosted by Ted Mack, made it to NBC-TV. It would run on various networks until 1970.

1941: Glenn Miller begins filming his first motion picture,Sun Valley Serenade.

1945: Billboard begins publishing its first album chart. The first Number One: A Collection Of Favorites by Nat King Cole.

1956: Elvis Presley visits friend and fellow Sun labelmate Carl Perkins in a Dover, DE hospital, where he is recovering from his near-fatal car crash.

1958: At 6:35 in the morning, Elvis Presley reports to the offices of Memphis' Local Draft Board 86, accompanied by his parents and longtime friend Lamar Fike, then is bused with twelve other new recruits to Kennedy Veterans Memorial Hospital. There, he is inducted into the US Army, a Private with serial number 53 310 761. Dozens of photographers and reporters attend. He will serve two years, and get paid $78 a month.

1962: Mick Jagger and Keith Richards take the stage for the first time in Ealing, England with their first band, unfortunately named Little Boy Blue and the Blue Boys.

1965: While playing in Odense, Denmark, Rolling Stone bassist Bill Wyman is shocked by a poorly grounded mic stand, and is instantly knocked unconscious.

1966: The first major US bootleg law is passed in New York State, a bill that makes the processing of unlicensed recordings a misdemeanor. A dozen years later to the day, England grants their record companies the right to seize bootleg recordings.

1973: An overzealous male fan climbs onstage during Lou Reed's show in Buffalo, NY, and bites him on the butt. The audience member is, not surprisingly, thrown out.

2001: The segment of Hwy 19 that runs through Macon, GA, is renamed Duane Allman Boulevard, in remembrance of the famed Allman Brothers guitarist who died in a motorcycle crash near there three decades earlier.

2002: After a record fifteen nominations, Randy Newman wins his first Oscar award for Best Song: the Monsters Inc. composition "If I Didn't Have You."

Recording

1960: The Everly Brothers, "So Sad (To Watch Good Love Go Bad)"

Charts

1958: Perry Como's "Catch A Falling Star" hits #1
1973: The O'Jays' "Love Train" hits #1
1979: The Bee Gees' "Tragedy" hits #1

On March 25th in music history:

Births

1924: Bonnie Guitar
1934: Johnny Burnette
1938: Hoyt Axton
1940: Anita Bryant
1942: Aretha Franklin
1947: Elton John
1947: Jack Hall (The Charlie Daniels Band)
1947: Duncan Browne
1949: Nick Lowe (Brinsley Schwarz, Rockpile)
1949: Neil Jones (Amen Corner)
1951: Maisie Williams (Boney M)

Deaths

1978: Bill Kenny (The Ink Spots)
2002: Joe Schermie (Three Dog Night)
2006: Buck Owens
2009: Dan Seals (England Dan and John Ford Coley)

Events

1958: Reporting to Ft. Chaffee, AK by bus for his induction into the service, Elvis Presley has his famous hair shorn off by an Army barber. The media follows close behind. The pop icon is assigned to Second Medium Tank Battalion, Second Armored Division, the "Hell On Wheels" division once led by General George S. Patton. Elvis, however, receives an assignment as a jeep driver. Within days, manager "Colonel" Tom Parker receives 5,000 pieces of mail addressed to the singer at Fort Chaffee.

1961: Elvis Presley holds an afternoon press conference and, in the evening, performs the USS Arizona concert at Pearl Harbor's Bloch Arena, raising $62,000 for the memorial dedicated to the 1,177 US servicemen killed when the ship went down on December 7, 1941. This would be Presley's last live performance for seven years.

1965: London session guitarist Jeff Beck joins the Yardbirds after being recommended by the group's first choice, another session man named Jimmy Page.

1968: Roy Orbison marries his second wife, Barbara Wellhonen, in Nashville. They would remain married until Orbison's death twenty years later.

"The Frodis Caper," the 58th and last episode of The Monkees, directed by Micky Dolenz and featuring the lone band song "Zor and Zam," airs on NBC-TV.

1969: A just-married John Lennon and Yoko Ono decide to use the press circus of their honeymoon to promote an end to the Vietnam war, and wars in general. The duo stay, fully clothed, in their bed at the Amsterdam Hilton for the next four days, talking about peace to a cadre of largely skeptical reporters from around the world.

1971: New York's flagship radio station WNBC becomes the first to ban Brewer and Shipley's hit "One Toke Over The Line" due to alleged marijuana references.

1976: Jackson Browne's wife, Phyllis Major, commits suicide with sleeping pills just months after their marriage, leading the singer-songwriter to spend much of his next record, The Pretender, dealing with the tragedy.

1983: Motown tapes an all-star concert at the Pasadena Civic Auditorium in Pasadena, California in order to celebrate the label's anniversary. Performers include Stevie Wonder, The Four Tops, The Temptations, Smokey Robinson, The Commodores, Martha Reeves, and Jr. Walker. Also appearing, in what would be his last TV performance, is Marvin Gaye. A very brief Supremes reunion and a Jackson 5 performance top off the night, but when the show is broadcast on May 16, 1983, it is Michael Jackson's solo performance of his new single "Billie Jean" -- complete with moonwalk -- that would steal the show, kicking off the Thriller juggernaut and turning Michael from a superstar to a megastar overnight.

1985: Stevie Wonder wins his first Oscar for his theme to the film The Woman In Red, entitled "I Just Called To Say I Love You." Sixteen years later to the day, Bob Dylan will win his first Oscar for his Wonder Boys song "Things Have Changed."

1989: The recording studio at Chuck Berry's ranch in Wentzville, MO is destroyed by a fire, taking with it 13 of Berry's unreleased songs.

Releases

1969: Elvis Presley, "His Hand In Mine" b/w "How Great Thou Art"

Recording

1960: Ray Charles, "Georgia On My Mind"
1960: Roy Orbison, "Only The Lonely"
1974: Barbra Streisand, "Butterfly"

Charts

1950: Eileen Barton's "If I Knew You Were Comin' I'd've Baked a Cake" hits #1
1967: The Turtles' "Happy Together" hits #1
1967: The Doors LP The Doors enters the charts
1972: America's "A Horse With No Name" hits #1
1972: Roberta Flack's LP First Take hits #1

Certifications

1971: Tom Jones' "She's A Lady" is certified gold
1977: Bob Seger's LP Night Moves is certified platinum

On March 26th in music history:

Births

1917: Rufus Thomas
1921: Joe Loco
1936: Freddie Parris (The Five Satins)
1936: Alan Arkin (The Tarriers)
1940: Rod Lauren
1944: Diana Ross
1946: Johnny Crawford
1948: Richard Tandy (Electric Light Orchestra)
1948: Steven Tyler (Aerosmith)
1949: Vicki Lawrence
1949: Fran Sheehan (Boston)
1950: Teddy Pendergrass
1950: Ronnie McDowell
1953: William Lyall (Pilot)

Deaths

1968: Little Willie John
1976: Duster Bennett
1980: Jon-Jon Paulos (The Buckinghams)
2004: Jan Berry (Jan and Dean)

Events

1962: Elvis Presley begins filming his 11th motion picture, titled Girls! Girls! Girls!

1963: Funny Girl, a musical about Ziegfeld Follies star Fanny Brice, opens on Broadway, starring Barbra Streisand. It features the hits "Don't Rain On My Parade" and the song that would become her trademark, "People."

1964: Tonight's guest on CBS-TV's "panel show" I've Got A Secret is former Beatles drummer Pete Best, whose "secret" occupation is guessed almost immediately. When host Gary Moore asks Best why he "left" the group (Best was fired), he replied: "I thought I'd like to start a group of my own."

1965: The Walker Brothers make their first UK television appearance, performing on ITV's Ready Steady Go!

1969: Pat Boone guest-stars as himself on tonight's "Collard Greens An' Fatback" episode of CBS-TV's Beverly Hillbillies.

1970: Mere days after winning a Grammy for Best Recording for Children with their album Peter, Paul and Mommy, Peter Paul and Mary are scandalized when group leader Peter Yarrow is arrested in Washington, DC for "taking immoral liberties" with a 14-year-old girl. He would spend three months in prison and would later be given clemency by President Jimmy Carter.

1972: Mott The Hoople are about to call it quits when friend of the band David Bowie offers to produce their next album, even offering them two new songs he's written: "Suffragette City," which the band turns down, and "All The Young Dudes."

1975: The movie musical Tommy, directed by Ken Russell and based on the Who album of the same name, premieres in London, starring Who lead singer Roger Daltrey in the title role, as well as Ann-Margret and Jack Nicholson. Guest stars include Elton John and Tina Turner.

1976: Keith Richards and model girlfriend Anita Pallenberg become the proud parents of a son, Tara. Sadly, he would die ten weeks later from pneumonia.

Riding near the scene of a multi-car pileup in Memphis, Elvis Presley jumps out of his limo, displays his honorary police captain's badge from the city, and attempts to help the victims before police and rescue teams arrive.

1980: Pink Floyd's landmark 1973 LP Dark Side Of The Moon surpasses Carole King's Tapestry as the album with the longest consecutive stay on the Billboard 200 album chart. It would remain on the chart until 1988.

1985: After Stevie Wonder's Oscar speech the previous night, at which he dedicated his Best Song Award to Nelson Mandela, South Africa bans all Wonder records from its nation's radio stations.

Recording

1957: Ricky Nelson: "I'm Walkin'," "A Teenager's Romance"
1958: Dee Clark, "Hey Little Girl"
1958: Eddie Cochran, "Summertime Blues"
1964: Chuck Berry, "No Particular Place To Go"
1974: Dionne Warwick and The Spinners, "Then Came You"

Charts

1955: Bill Hayes' "The Ballad Of Davy Crockett" hits #1
1977: Daryl Hall and John Oates' "Rich Girl" hits #1

Certifications

1974: David Essex's "Rock On" is certified gold