Klipsch Image X10. I can't hear an improvement.

Spicy Snow

So I'm sitting here comparing these two headphones:

Klipsch Image X10

Razer Moray: $35

Too be honest. I can not differentiate the two in sound quality. After failing to detect a difference while listening to 256bitrate AAC, I switched to lossless ALAC and still couldn't hear a difference.

Only difference I could detect: both are getting a good amount

of noise (interference) from my laptop. the klipsch gets less noise and the noise

itself is a different sound.

What am I doing wrong? Are my ears just that bad?

What am I doing wrong? Are my ears just that bad?

I hope there's nothing wrong with your ears. Sound quality will suffer if they're plugged with wax.

One thing you might try with the X10's is to experiment with different angles and ear gels. If you stick them straight in so that they're firing straight into the ear canal wall sound quality will suffer. For me, and I think most people they should be angled so that they are pointing up into the ear canal.

For the best bass make sure you're getting a good seal. For this experiment with the different ear gels. A good test for me is lightly rubbing my fingers together just outside my ear. You should not be able to hear it with a good seal or just barely compared to no 'phones in your ear.

Verify your X10's were purchased from an authorized seller to be sure they're not counterfeit. There have been scores for counterfeit S4's on the market. Not sure about the X10 but it's always a possiblility. If they were purchased from an authorized source maybe you've got a defective set. I'm not sure I've heard of bad Image X10's out of the box but it could happen though is not likely/

Everybody hears differently but I'd think you should be able to tell a difference but no experience or knowledge of the Razer Moray. I would expect a big improvement in sound quality with the Image X10.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Sorry it toke me awhile to respond. Been very busy recently with midterms, homeworks, and events with family/friends. Didn't have the time test with it.

I tried what you told me to do and it didn't really have much of an effect. I followed my friends advice and tried useing a different source. This time I used an ipod and there was a small difference in the sound of the guitars. However, while its different, I can't really say it sounds better or worse.

It seems like I'm missing something here.

The were sold by amazon.com. and not by a subvendor marketing through amazon.

Sorry it toke me awhile to respond. Been very busy recently with midterms, homeworks, and events with family/friends. Didn't have the time test with it.

I tried what you told me to do and it didn't really have much of an effect. I followed my friends advice and tried useing a different source. This time I used an ipod and there was a small difference in the sound of the guitars. However, while its different, I can't really say it sounds better or worse.

It seems like I'm missing something here.

The were sold by amazon.com. and not by a subvendor marketing through amazon.

I find the older ipod, such as the ipod video 5.5 with Rockbox to have
excellent synergy with the X-10. Everything encoded at 256 kbits and
over sounds like magic. The X-10's amazing sound rivals even the
Westone3, which is a 3-way triple ba driver based IEM. If you are
getting less than stellar sound out of your X-10s, I would recommend to
try another sound source if that's an option.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same experience with the Klipsch Custom 3 (also a $300 IEM). They sound like crap compared to a pair of $30 Sony's that I found in the parking lot (changed tips don't worry).

My Klipsch's sound very thin and shrieky (shreek -ee).

I bought mine off Ebay some time ago. Surely there is not THIS much difference b/w sources.

It seems like when I listen to the Custom 3's exclusively for a period of time, I begin to like them. That just show's how much we trick ourselves into thinking something sounds "good" or "bad" often times.

But with an A/B comparison, my Klipsch Custom 3's are my backup IEMs behind $30 Sony's and that kills me!

I wish i could prove my Klipsch's are fakes. Idk how though.

I have the same experience with the Klipsch Custom 3 (also a $300 IEM). They sound like crap compared to a pair of $30 Sony's that I found in the parking lot (changed tips don't worry).

I bought mine off Ebay some time ago. Surely there is not THIS much difference b/w sources.

It seems like when I listen to the Custom 3's exclusively for a period of time, I begin to like them. That just show's how much we trick ourselves into thinking something sounds "good" or "bad" often times.

But with an A/B comparison, my Klipsch Custom 3's are my backup IEMs behind $30 Sony's and that kills me!

I have Custom 2 and Image x10. I've heard just about all the models I think of the iem's except maybe the Lou Reed signature Image x10i and those the differences may be all cosmetic.. The Custom 3 are phenomenal. The Custom models do take a lot of work to find optimum seal for the best bass. It took me two months to really figure out how to shove 'em in correctly for the best bass.

You either have countfeit Custom 3 or the previously owner trashed them out. I'm sure they could be overdriven to destruction.

Post some pictures including all packaging etc.

There's no way those could be real Custom 3 as bad as you described the sound. I'd be trying to return if you have the receipt. If you have the receipt and bought from an authorized seller in the US then you can return to Klipsch.

If you bought them used from eBay then I'd still contact the seller. Something's not right with them.

I'm not sure about counterfeiting of different models. I think it was late November or December of 2011 Klipsch filed suit against 23 manufactuers of counterfeit Image S4 in China.

If you're in a different country then you need to go through whoever you bought them from I think.

Good luck.

I have Custom 2 and Image x10. I've heard just about all the models I think of the iem's except maybe the Lou Reed signature Image x10i and those the differences may be all cosmetic.. The Custom 3 are phenomenal. The Custom models do take a lot of work to find optimum seal for the best bass. It took me two months to really figure out how to shove 'em in correctly for the best bass.

You either have countfeit Custom 3 or the previously owner trashed them out. I'm sure they could be overdriven to destruction.

Post some pictures including all packaging etc.

There's no way those could be real Custom 3 as bad as you described the sound. I'd be trying to return if you have the receipt. If you have the receipt and bought from an authorized seller in the US then you can return to Klipsch.

If you bought them used from eBay then I'd still contact the seller. Something's not right with them.

I'm not sure about counterfeiting of different models. I think it was late November or December of 2011 Klipsch filed suit against 23 manufactuers of counterfeit Image S4 in China.

If you're in a different country then you need to go through whoever you bought them from I think.

Good luck.

I have to reinforce Ben's statement that no way in Hell you can have an original pair of Custum 3 that would sound as bad as you described! I have several high end IEMs, among them two triple drivers, such as the Westone3 and UE-Triple-fi 10, and I can tell you the Custum 3 more than stands the ground against them! Besides the C3 I had several others from the Klipsch lineaup, currently I have the X-10 and Image S-4. Among all, the X-10 takes the crown. The previous owner definitely fried either one of the drivers in the unit, or some components of the circuitry may have been zapped, I noticed that the X-10 and the previously owned X-5 both are prone to static buildup, I got zapped by them several times. Unfortunately for you, you never got to hear the real C3, I bet. I hope the lead design engineer's wish will come trough, and one day the C3 will be re-introduced as a wintage pruduct...(with a cable upgrade) Kipsch rocks!

I just bought the S4a from Radio Shack so and did an A/B comparison between them and the Custom 3's. Here are my thoughts:

The first thing I do is get rid of the rubber tips and use Comply foam tips (much better especially for working out).

The S4a sounds fuller with more bass extension and more laid back (controlled) and not so much shrill. Some might say there's more "treble" in the custom 3s but if that's the case the treble sounds like crap.

I don't have the original packaging. I convinced myself that they sounded great after a lot of listening sessions, until I found a pair of $30 Sony's from which to compare. Immediately, I was very disappointed in my Klipsch's which is something I NEVER EVER say. I'm a Klipsch lover through and through, so I do NOT want to bash a Klipsch product.

I just wish I had a better way of knowing if my Custom 3's are genuine. They look and feel real. Cloth chord, nicely printed logo, sturdy etc. They look and feel like a quality product. The cloth chord kinks like crap but that's normal.

Anyway, I do like the S4a better than the Custom's and I don't think that is just my opinion as my tastes seem to be very much in line with many people on this board.

Again, don't fall into this category...... I listened exclusively to my Custom's and convinced myself they sounded great, I was wrong. Anything you listen too all the time exclusively will grow on you.

I hope the lead design engineer's wish will come trough, and one day the C3 will be re-introduced as a wintage pruduct...(with a cable upgrade) Kipsch rocks!

A lot of people hope for that but apparently they did not sell well enough. I thought the cables were very nice. But no comparison to other $300 phones. The cloth could be noisy but I cinch my Custom 2 and Image x10 behind the head and it's not really an issue. Personally, I like the sound of the Image X5 better than the Image X10 - not sue I could tell any bass was missing but the Image X5 body is larger than our youngest daughter's ear canals. She was with when we both tried both models at Pilgrimage 2008. So x10 it is. I practically cried when closed out for about 1/2 from authorized sellers and just couldn't swing it that month. (p.s. P Thump likes the sound of the X5 over the X10 and he is a BASS freak)

The cable on the new Mode M40 is exceptionally nice. I only tried a pre-production model with a dead battery so could not try the noise cancelling but very sweet sound and surprisingly comfortable for the size.

Now if they could just figure out how to make the cables detachable and replaceable on the IEMS. They're probably too small but then there could be one model of a phone and just buy the iPhone, Android, or generic headset cable. Maybe we consumers need to scream LOUD enough so Apple and other manufacturers adopt a standard headphone / headset control interface. Yeah right. Like that will ever happen. It seems like Apple changes the charging voltage with each new iPod generation. gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I just wish I had a better way of knowing if my Custom 3's are genuine. They look and feel real. Cloth chord, nicely printed logo, sturdy etc. They look and feel like a quality product. The cloth chord kinks like crap but that's normal.

If they sound half as bad as you describe there are two possiblities

1. They are counterfeit
  2. They are broken

I had Custom 2 from the get go of the Klipsch IEM and used for well over a year. Cord looks as good as new. So either I was lucky or the cords changed or I suppose could be counterfeit but I think the kinked up cord showed up on otherwise fine phones. Material must've changed or something.

Many do like the S4 better than the Image X10 so may be true of the Custom 3. But the Custom 3 DO NOT sound anything near as bad as you describe.

I took one of the C3's apart and the insides look really sophisticated filled with rubber etc. This does not look like something a counterfeiter would have done. It looks very professional and complicated. Idk if that is much of an indicator or not.

By broken I didn't mean in pieces. Fried would be a better term. Given too much power and fried the armature. Or driven too loud and broken the internals. Real Custom 3 would not sound near as bad as you describe.

The other possibility is your hearing is overly sensitive to high frequencies that may not be reproduced as accurately in the Image S4 or $30 parking lot Sony's.

Trust us. They do not sound like overly shrilly cheap headphones unless something is wrong with them.

It would be good if you could get a larger picture. Maybe we could get one of the Klipsch employees to look at it. I think the one you posted is too small. Somewhere on the Klipsch site there might be photos of some of the components in the Custom 3.

I took one of the C3's apart and the insides look really sophisticated filled with rubber etc. This does not look like something a counterfeiter would have done. It looks very professional and complicated. Idk if that is much of an indicator or not.

The sound sig of the C3 as I remember it was warm, but balanced overall, with the high frequency range somewhat rolled off, to avoid sibilance. From my audio gear collection, the HD-600 headphones and the UE-triple-fi 10 IEMs offer the most high end extention, to my taste that region is especially important, but many others have a hard time tolerating hf range that powerful. The HD-600s literally pull your music apart, with the proper rate of encoding you hear every nuisance. The TF-10 IEMs aren't far behind either, those two mentioned would give me the highest sound resolution. In comparison, the Klipsh lineaup offers a more laid back presentation with somewhat less details, but warmer sound signature. The S-4 is way too dull for my taste, and so are all the Sony's. I tried several of them, and ended up returning all of them. The MDR-EX-700 came closest to my expectations, but the hf range on them was too shrill, harsh. Otherwise imaging and sound stage was reasonable. Hearing is subjective to say the least, so I'm not sure what to say, other than your C3 likely was fried. Also possible that you are too sensitive to sibilace, and a greater hf roll-off is more suitable to your taste. Nothing is wrong with that, in that case you may want to avoid most of BA based sound gear. That would explain why you prefer the S-4s better. If the Sennheiser IE-8 would fit your budget, you would definitely love those.

A lot of people hope for that but apparently they did not sell well enough. I thought the cables were very nice. But no comparison to other $300 phones. The cloth could be noisy but I cinch my Custom 2 and Image x10 behind the head and it's not really an issue. Personally, I like the sound of the Image X5 better than the Image X10 - not sue I could tell any bass was missing but the Image X5 body is larger than our youngest daughter's ear canals. She was with when we both tried both models at Pilgrimage 2008. So x10 it is. I practically cried when closed out for about 1/2 from authorized sellers and just couldn't swing it that month. (p.s. P Thump likes the sound of the X5 over the X10 and he is a BASS freak)

The cable on the new Mode M40 is exceptionally nice. I only tried a pre-production model with a dead battery so could not try the noise cancelling but very sweet sound and surprisingly comfortable for the size.

Now if they could just figure out how to make the cables detachable and replaceable on the IEMS. They're probably too small but then there could be one model of a phone and just buy the iPhone, Android, or generic headset cable. Maybe we consumers need to scream LOUD enough so Apple and other manufacturers adopt a standard headphone / headset control interface. Yeah right. Like that will ever happen. It seems like Apple changes the charging voltage with each new iPod generation. gggrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Back than as I followed all the comments, most of the C3 owners complaind of cable falure over fitting issues, though it took me weeks before I found the sweet spot with the best fitting. I had the same issue with the TF-10, none of the supplied ear tips worked for those either. A pair of double flange aftermarket gels from ebay fixed the problem...Regarding the C3's cable, I did not have any issues either, the gear was stolen from me unfortunately before any chance for them to get defective. I will always cherish their memories, those were my first true high end IEMs ever. Regarding the X-5, I also believed they perfom better than the X-10, having only a brief encounter with the later. Now, after getting my hands on a pair of X-10, I tend to disagree. While the X-5's overall sound is definitely more balanced and analyitc, the X-10s offer more details, and the bass on them blows many other high end IEM's out of the water. I could hardly believe this would be a single armature solution, I'm not sure how can that be! I'm also pleasantly surprised of the sound stage of the X-10, the X-5s were totally lacking on that area. I find the X-10's performance somewhat similar of what I remember the C3.

Regarding sound source, I find the older ipod better, namely the 5.5 generation ipod video with rockbox firmwhare. I agree with most of those who find the newer apple player's sound performace inferior to those with Wolfson audio chip. The cables are replaceable on several high end IEMs (Sure SE-535, UE Triple-fi 10 and 10 Pro, Sennheiser IE-8, IE-80, etc.), but not on all of makes unfortunately. Cost is probably the highest factor when they make the decision on that before the product goes into production. Replaceable cable more than likely would have saved the bacon for the Custom series as well...