Info on Heresy from serial no.

craigha

Hi craigha, welcome to the BB!

Your Heresy's are an Oiled Walnut finish (HWO) and the "Y" in the s/n dates them to 1983. As you have already discovered you have some great speakers there.

Congratulations on your purchase!

------------------

2 Channel System:

'78 Khorns w/ALK networks

Welborne Labs Moondog 2A3 amps

AES AE-3 Superpreamp DJH mods

McIntosh MCD 7007 CD

McIntosh MR-78 Tuner

DIYCable Twisted Cross Connect Speaker Cable

DIYCable Superlatives (preamp/amp)

DH Labs Silver Pulse interconnects (sources/preamp)

f>

s>

• 4 weeks later...

Mpurvis....1982....if you still have the labels on the back of the cabinet, I can tell you what they are from that info!! If the labels are missing, then you can do a detailed description of the cabinet or post a pic of it and I can tell you what model of heresy it is. If it is 1982 version...it will either be a HDBR/L or it will be some version of the mitered models. If the cabinet is built from birch plywood with overlapping butt joints, it is a HDBR/L model. If the cabinet has mitered joints, then all I need to know is what kind of veneer that is on it and whether it is an oiled finish or laquered. In 1982, all of the Heresys had inset, black-painted, stapled-in fronts...and the drivers were mounted to the inside side of the front panel(motorboard).

Models of Heresys in 1982:

HDBR=Heresy, decorator, birch, raw(no finish)

HDBL=Heresy, decorator, birch, laquered

HWO=Heresy, black walnut veneered, oiled finish

HWL=Heresy, black walnut veneered, laquered finish(clear gloss or semi-gloss)

HOO=Heresy, oak veneered, oiled finish

HOL=Heresy, oak veneered, laquered finish

etc......

Heresys also came in rosewood, ebony, etc...but most mitered-edge ones were in black walnut, and the largest numbers of all were decorator birch plywood ones.

Although the klipschorn is the speaker that made Klipsch famous, the Heresy is the model that kept the company in business. More Heresys were sold each year than all the other models combined!! And their per- unit profit percentage is what kept the company in business and allowed for it to grow!!

So....one might say that the little Heresy is the speaker that made Klipsch what it is today!! And, for its size and cost, it is one helluva little speaker too!! I love mine!!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 06-12-2002 at 10:26 AM