Matching a Center and Surrounds to my Belles

Haary

I need some advice regarding matching up a center and surround speakers to my Klipsch Belles. I have had the Belles since 1983 and they are pristine and still sound great.

I currently run the Belles and a pair of AR-3a's off a Carver C-5000 preamp and a pair of Phase Linear 400 Series II power amps. But I am considering getting a Denon AVR-3802. I will eventually replace the AR-3a's with something else.

So as I am just getting into A/V systems I would appreciate some advise as what would be a good match up to the Belles.

The best choice for a center channel match to the Belle Klipsch is another Belle Klipsch. Since approximately 75% of movie sound in 5.1 or above formats goes through the center channel, the sonically correct solution is a third Belle as center - if you can find a way to place it in the room. The worst place to compromise in a home theater speaker setup(sonically) is the center - it should be the MOST capable speaker in the system.

Surrounds - there are many options here in the heritage line that are timbre matched to the Belle. Your selections will depend on the room and what format you are setting your HT up for (5.1, 6.1, 7.1). 5.1 is the established standard now, there are 6.1 and 7.1 options available in most new processors. You could use more Belles, LaScalas, Cornwalls, or Heresys to timbre match the Belles you currently own.

How much room do you have? What format are you going with - is 5.1 enough, or is a 6.1 or 7.1 system something you have in mind (you can always add the sixth and seventh speakers later, but a little future planning can't hurt).

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains)

Klipsch Academy (center channel)

Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

H/K AVR 75 (used as pre/pro - will be upgraded soon)

Bass Kit:

2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets

Crown CE 1000 amplifier

Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources:

Pioneer DV-333

2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks

General Instruments cable box

Panasonic VHS PV-4459

Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>

• 2 weeks later...

Egad, Haary, having a Heritage system with KHorns in the corners and a Belle in the center, it makes me shudder to think that two Belles who have done noble duty for you for many a year will have less than a Heritage center.

In a pinch, I would probably try for an Academy which has some Heritage attributes to its sound character rather than Reference center which was designed along a good, but different, sound character. Of course, I own an Academy... but not the Reference centers so I cannot make a valid comparison.

I like John's suggestion of a Heresy... that way you have an authentic PWK design and the smallest member of the Heritage family.

Clearly, the choice of center is far more important if you use your Belles for HT rather than music due to the 75%+ of total sound that gets shunted through the center in 5.1 mixes.

If you can, make an HT A/B comparison in YOUR system of the center you are considering and your Belles alone (set up as a Phantom Center). Such a test, particularly on an HT DVD, will show you the ideal sound possible for your Belles if they had a Belle in the Center in the Phantom Center mode... and sometimes in a "smallish" room by Heritage standards, that will suffice... but, alas, the sweetspot can be very narrow.

Like John says, listen very carefully... most folks find that only a Heritage in the Center seems to be able to keep up gracefully with Heritages for the Mains. Try to get any potential candidate on an approval status so you can stick in your own ear in your own listening environment. It is amazing how far your sound can be denigrated with the wrong Center choice! -HornED

------------------

Pic6.jpg Photo update soon! -HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 06-04-2002 at 11:50 AM

• 1 month later...

I bought an Academy for the center between my Belles. I paid $415 including shipping, I hope that was a good price. I hooked it up as soon a I got home from work. It sounds great........

I will have to save up and find a good deal on some Herseys for the rears. I wish I had the room and the money for another pair of Belles for the rear. Maybe some day..

I think that is a fair price for the Academy. I have seen them go for more than that on Ebay, and I have seen evidence of several people just waiting to find one.

I got lucky and found one at a used stereo store by just browsing in a search engine for Klipsch Academy. I got mine for $300, but think I was very lucky.