Vertical Bi-amping

bracurrie

I heard someone talk about "vertical bi-amping" the other day and it sounded interesting so I gave it a try. So far so good as I have two Adcom 535 amps with one being the "L" model with the pads. But because I can no longer turn the gain down on the 535L that I used to use on the tweeter horn I have audible noise.

Not being an audio engineer, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I am using a
DBX driverack PA plus for an active crossover and the tweeter horns are JBL 2435 compression drivers.

Rudy Bozak was big on vertical bi-amping back in the olden times. His theory - and you'd be hard pressed to prove him wrong - was the bass channel would be placing heavy demands on the power supply while the other could just loaf along, and be less likely to clip where clipping would be noticeable and damage tweeters. By using the same amplifier for the high and low frequencies, you would minimize any discontinuities in the sound quality at the crossover point. You wouldn't have, say, a Phase Linear sound up to 400 hz and an Audio Research sound above that.