Klipschorn best match for woofers and compression drivers ?

caoutchouc

Has anyone listening the differences between the following stuff (for Klipschorns) ? I own Klipschorns from 1977 with AA crossovers

Eminence K33E Stephens 103 Bob Crites woofer JBL 2226 4ohms or http://www.usspeaker.com/Legend%20CA15-4-1.htm

and http://www.usspeaker.com/Commonwealth15-1.htm JBL E145 Electrovoice EV15WK Eminence CB15

Atlas K55V University SAHF

Can I use the University SAHF with the crossover AA.

Regards. Pascal

Pascal,

You don't have a friend in Iran by any chance, do you? There is another forum member from there that has asked similar questions in the past....[:D]

Probably the best thing that you can do immediately is upgrade the crossovers. Bob Crites and ALK Engineering both have crossover options for Klipschorns.

As to the the speakers themselves; The K-33E was normally mated with the K-55V and K-400 (Cast Aluminum Horn) in your model. The SAHF was mated with a J-5 hand built horn and the EV 15WK (K designates Made for klipsch) in older K Horns from the late 50's to early 60's. Other options then became available in the Klipschorn line. The SAHF was designed to work woth a 500/5000 crossover (It has Huge inductors) and I doubt that the quality of the sound from the SAHF - AA Crossover and a later cast horn would be very pleasing to the ear. On the other hand, I have a couple of J-5's with the K-55V driver and they sound pretty good. Try the crossover upgrade as it will be the best bang for the buck.

Hope this helps,

W. C.

WC: just curious (as I don't know much about this crossover) when you said this network had huge inductors do you mean the inductance value are huge or do you mean that the gage of the inductors is huge?Is there any chance the OP can post some pictures. Visuals are always nice. Thanks and best regards Moray James.