RF-7 and receiver questions!

radchad3

Hello all! I have the Rf-7 speakers for about 5 years now and love them! I am powering them with a Marantz sr-8400 with a separate crown 2-channel amp. I have always read the RF-7s were power hungry! I am looking to upgrade to a Denon/Marantz receiver and have noticed that the newer models lack pre-outs until getting into the higher dollar offerings. My main question is if I buy something like the Denon 2112 receiver which has all the other features I want and cross the mains over at 80hz, do I need a separate amp at this point? Will I be disappointed with the performance of the speakers with the receiver powering the mains instead of the 2 channel amp? Thank you all for your thoughts!

Chad

Ok, can you elaborate a bit? WIll the speakers still be significantly under powered even with the cross over point? I am ok with spending the extra on a receiver with pre-outs, but just don't want to throw money away if there are alternatives. Thanks!

Yes, that Denon you mentioned won't be enough to get those RF-7s moving - not to mention giving my personal experience I can never recommend Denon with Klipsch RF-7s. It's just a poor match IMO. Stick with the Crown amp and try a Harman Kardon with pre-outs or get a newer Marantz if you like the sound of it. I prefer musical AVRs and Denon is not one of those lol.

Thank you for the responses! Do the Denon and Marantz have different sound qualities? Back when I purchased the SR8400 it was recommended to stay with a "warmer" amp section which I thought Marantz and Denon both had. HK has had some reliability problems in the past, is this still true!? Thanks again! Chad

Hello Chad, I have owned maybe 8 HK avrs in the last 10 years, only one had an issue with memory.I have owned several mid grade Denons, they are too polite for my taste but I would take the old 38xx any day over Marantz.I had a Marantz about a year ago, I hated the sound, very disappointing coming from the old Marantz.It's always good to try different units, you may like one much better than another and let no one tell you they sound the same.You need to make your mind up try the ones in your budget, it's a hassle but then you'll know, good luck.

I bought the 6005 for a 2nd room(but auditioned others), it was pretty bad with music, I never even tried HT with it.The last Denon 38xx was much better and that was just ok.I found it cold,and congested, just unpleasant to hear.You know sometimes you try a unit with music and your foot just starts tappin and your head noddin, well that din't happen.I did set there thinkin this is awful, tried auto, manual, everything, it just sucked.I still have an old Marantz receiver my son uses from the 70's, sounds fantastic, they should stick with their heritage.