Home Theater/Music Listening RF 62 II

losshack

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the forum and am glad to hear that there is a Klipsch community out there. I currently use the Promedia 2.1 at work, have an IGroove HG in my master bedroom. I also use and love the S4 headphones for the gym and or personal time. I got the green light from the wife to upgrade this year my HTIB (Onkyo HT-S770) but I want to do it slowly and really get what I want. I settled for the HTIB in 2004 because I had a toddler and another one on the way, now I'm at a place where I have more of a 1-2k budget.

I'm really interested in a pair of RF-62s (possibly 52s if there is not much difference), RC-52 and the sub is up for grabs. Unfortunately, I'll be using my Onkyo receiver to push these towers until I can save some more money, again the plan is to slowly upgrade all components within a couple of years. I'm really only set on the RC-52s due to the slot in my entertainment center I can't go any bigger. My living room is decent size although I don't have the dimensions, I have wood floors and my house is about 2250 sqft. My living room has vaulted ceilings and opens up to my kitchen so i do want some speakers that can put out some punch.

My question is mainly for the subwoofer and/or amp. I read good and bad things about the Klipsch10" and 12" subwoofer but I guess thats how it goes with Klispch, lots of love and lots of hate online. I don't know if the 12" will be overkill for the 62s or even necessary. Are there other options (brands) that are better performers for music, I'm definitely open to demo other brands. I just don't want boomy or loose bass which is what I my current HTIB sub sounds like for music. Also, will my amp be enough to power the speakers properly, I plan on upgrading within the next year or two but as of right now, I will only be upgrading my speakers so I don't have to settle for the smalelr size (42s, 52s).

I would have upgraded long time ago but I want a home theather that sounds awesome for music. I enjoy movies (via bluray or netflix stream) but I'm a huge music fan. I really love music via the Promedias once I got the bass dialed in to be punchy and tight instead of just overwhelming. Anyways, any feedback would be appreciated. I plan on eventually buying the two surround speakers but I'm not interested right now since they would take professional installation to hide the wires in the wall and mount the speakers so I'll be getting those later.

Thanks

Los

Welcome to the forum!

I'm a noob here too, but thought I'd chime in since I recently bought the RF 62s. Others more knowledgable than I will offer better advice, but I thought there was a substantial difference between the RF 52 & 62 and a slighter difference between the 62 & 82. I liked the 82, but negotiated a nice deal on the 62s and am very happy with them. If you can at all free up enough space, I think you'd like the RC 62 better than the 52. The 52 is a fine center, but IMO, the 62 blends a lot better with the RF 62s and sounds much better.

You may want to open up to a non-Klipsch sub also. From what I've read here, the Klipsch subs do fine, but there are some better options out there for the money.

I bought all my speakers used and I think you could easily put together a front 3 and probably have enough left over for a decent sub/receiver with a budget of $2k by buying used.

Again, others will probably chime in with better advice, but from someone who recently put together a similar system, have fun, be patient and good luck!

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums losshack. This is a great community with a lot of people that are passionate about Klipsch and very helpful.

I want to do it slowly and really get what I want.

Very wise decision. It will save you lots of money in the long run and you will be more satisfied at the end result. "I settled for the HTIB in 2004"....see what I mean. [;)]

I have more of a 1-2k budget.

As mentioned, if you are willing to buy used, you can get MUCH more for your money and still get a very nice quality system. Here are a few systems that you might be interested in that would be within driving distance.

$750 - RF-35's, RB-15's, RC-52 system - Link

$750 - RF-35's, RS-35's, RC-35, Infinity sub system - Link

I don't know if the 12" will be overkill for the 62s or even necessary.

You will never hear any of us use the term "overkill". That word doesn't exist in this forum. Is a sub necessary? My opinion it definitely is for HT and I even believe it is and although it's not "necessary" for 2ch, I totally believe in the value of one for 2ch as well.

Are there other options (brands) that are better performers for music,

Lots of great options in the used market. Look up Velodyne, HSU, SVS, Epik, Paradigm, just to name a few.

I would have upgraded long time ago but I want a home theather that sounds awesome for music.

When you get ready to upgrade your receiver, IMO, look for a Harman Kardon, Marantz. To my ears, Onkyo and Yamaha are not near as "musical" as an HK or Marantz. HK I have owned, I've only heard other testimonies here about the musicality of the Marantz.

Hope that helps.

Be careful, once the upgrade bug bites, you will find yourself buying things on a faster time schedule, lol. Building your Klipsch system does that to you. Buy larger if you have the space so you won't need to go crazy over the next couple of years wanting the next step up in the upgrade chain.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm not too interested in buying used since it would seem difficult to determine if you received quality gear from ebay or craigslist. I would prefer to buy new and I don't think i'll be too worried about upgrading. I'm not a huge movie theater buff, really just want to listen to quality sound when I play Spotify or Pandora via my TV.

Thanks for the tip on the receivers, I really assumed that I was eventually going to get another Onkyo receiver since the one I have, i'm very happy with. I'll look into HK and those other brands.

Los

• Moderators

I'm not too interested in buying used since it would seem difficult to determine if you received quality gear from ebay or craigslist.

Ebay you have to rely on buying from seller with good feedback.

Craigslist is simple...go check out the speakers and verify condition yourself. It's difficult for me to pay retail when I can often buy for 75% off retail used.

Guest Teresa Wright

I would def get the 62's over the 52's. I listened to both and the 62's sounded much better. I got a killer deal last year from Vann's, I think I paid $750 for brand new 62II's, free shipping, no sales tax. Check their clearance, I bought an rc-52-which I had gotten the rc-62, but oh well, later, anyway they have great deals come up. It said my center had scratches all over-none whatsoever-with a full warranty. The deals are there. Good Luck!!

Thanks for the feedback guys, in regards to the buying used, I'm not a huge fan of that given that you are dealing with different types of wear and tear and probably will not get the warranty. I do see how you can score speakers at a much lower price and that would be a plus. But i'm not into trading or selling things later. I tend to buy something and keep it as long as it will last. I did see a pair of RF-82s in craigslist for $600 so I'm looking into it to see how the situation plays out.

It sounds like most of you guys recommend the 62s over the 52s so I will probably go that route if I decide to go with new. What do you guys think about amazon.com, I'm currently using camelcamelcamel to track their prices but I also learned here that there are other places such as Vanns.

And last, hopefully someone could answer if my receiver will be good enough to push these speakers until I have the money to upgrade. I would hate to get the speakers and they sound terrible because of my cheaper receiver. Thanks guys!

Los