Need help on adjustments on Onkyo TX-NR 709 with RF-82's!

joaksle

Hello! Today I got my Klipsch RF-82 and an Onkyo TX-NR 709 Receiver (yes, surround, center and sub ??to be purchased in time).

Got connected it up and started with some music. Know that this is not the best suited for music as it is a 7.1 receiver, but I thought I'd try a little to check the punch with speakers.

Was not impressed at first, but began to look in the menus and adjusted some settings. The sound was greatly improved after the mic calibration and some adjustments in the settings menu.

But still I feel it is not there completely.

I run pre-amp, and have chosen this in the menu.

Now I use normal volume display on the receiver (0-100) and to obtain normal sound I have to go up for approx. 45-50. Is this normal?

Is there anyone else who has this receiver and know how you set it up?

This is only temporary until I buy the rest of the package, but would have liked a bit more punch if you know what I mean.

Appreciate the answers!

Joaksle,

Welcome to the forum.

I do not have the 709 but was using my Onkyo TX-SR705 with my RF-63's. While the combination did sound pretty good at medium volumes, it did not have quite the punch I like to hear. I added a 200w/channel amplifier to the mix and that lack of punch was no longer an issue. Everything improved from the lows to the highs. I am not saying you should go out and buy an amp, but it sure did add a lot of punch and presence to my system.

I run pre-amp, and have chosen this in the menu.

I think you should only choose that when you are using an external amp.

Now I use normal volume display on the receiver (0-100) and to obtain normal sound I have to go up for approx. 45-50. Is this normal?

45 to 50 on the volume knob sounds about right for your system to come alive.

Bill

Thanks for answering Bill.

I added a 200w/channel amplifier to the mix and that lack of punch was no longer an issue. Everything improved from the lows to the highs. I am not saying you should go out and buy an amp, but it sure did add a lot of punch and presence to my system.

I have thinked about it. I think i'll get one when I buy my surround speakers and sub, but the money is not there yet.

I think you should only choose that when you are using an external amp.

But, I only add two extra cables from speakers to surround to get a more punch? It shows in the receivers manual so it should work?

Anyways, thanks again and have a nice day!

Also, I think the music optimizer function helps add some punch even though they it is for mp3 files.

Yeah, I did some adjustments and now it sounds wonderful! I love them :D Also I adjusted the dB on front speakers to 0dB from 10dB in the settings. This improved the volume a lot (of course) but I was wondering if this has any bad effect on the speakers? Do you/anyone know? :-)