What Is a Passive Radiator KG4 KD-12

The Navvy

Passive Radiator KG4 KD-12

Can someone please help me understand what this is? I thought it was a 12 inch woofer that I would have use for sometime somewhere.

But I'm starting to find out that it is not a driver, and may be a sympathetic resonator of some kind for the KG4 line of speakers. But they had 8" speakers, I think.

I have two Heresys (1's E xo), an extra E xo, and a B xo. I'd like to build (or find) a Cornwall (or two). I need something w/a 15" woofer for mono reference or reverb chamber. The Heresys could go to the chamber if I find two Cornwalls, but I'm getting off the subject.

What is the function of a KD-12, and should I cut my losses and just resell it or is it something I can use experimentally?

BTW, I'm a newbie to this forum, so if I'm in the wrong place, let me know.

Tom the Navvy

I am without a doubt the largest dolt on the forum and I am most definitely under the influence of a certain elderberry and botanical flavored exiler but I think that I am able to answer your querie! Wrongly perhaps, but answer none the less.

A passive is a speaker sans magnet, and sans wires. IOW, it has no electrical function whatsoever. Hence, the "passive" moniker.

It simply gets into the groove of whatever is playing and encourages air to move freely within the confines of the speaker cabinet in response to the movement of the "powered" drivers. In this way it improves or adds to low frequency response.

My understanding is that a speaker with a passive on the back should be placed approx one half of the diameter of the passive to the wall (for starters).

Time to refresh my cocktail. Enjoy the KG4s!!