This is how you get rid of adware on websites

mustang guy

Go to this website(http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm), and download the HOSTS.ZIP file. Extract the file, and run the install batch file.

Here is what it does. When a lookup is done on a banner for a known adware like doubleclick, it points at your own machine for the file. It is quickly not found, and the ad is replaced by a little box that says Internet Explorer cannot find file specified or something like that. Here is an excerpt of the hosts file to give you an idea:

127.0.0.1 clickserve.eu.dartsearch.net

127.0.0.1 clickserve.uk.dartsearch.net

127.0.0.1 doubleclick.net #[McAfee.Cookie-Doubleclick]

127.0.0.1 ad.doubleclick.net #[MVPS.Criteria]

127.0.0.1 ad-g.doubleclick.net

127.0.0.1 ad2.doubleclick.net

127.0.0.1 ad.ae.doubleclick.net

127.0.0.1 ad.ar.doubleclick.net

127.0.0.1 ad.at.doubleclick.net

As you can see, those lookups for doubleclick are sent to 127.0.0.1, which is localhost, which is your own machine. It will speed up screen loads of those slow sites like MSN, etc.

I have been running it for about 2 months, updating the hosts file regularly. It has made a big difference in my experience.

edit: This is not SPAM. I am sharing my personal experiences in wisdom with all ya'll. [:)]

I've used that file for many years. There's a web based version of this called OPENDNS you sign up and load your router with the DNS ip address of OPENDNS. The router will update your PC during the next DHCP renewal which is normally about 2 hours or you can just reboot your machine. You manage the controls for what you want blocked on the OPENDNS website.

post-22082-13819688896488_thumb.png

I used OpenDNS at my last job for "front line" content filtering and an in house linux box running IPCop for more granular filtering. I was always VERY happy with OpenDNS and the 100 or so users there... Well... Not so much.

Interesting... When I added the list in the first post to my hosts file Microsoft Security Essentials went ape-$h!t that something was attacking my system and trying to make changes to "crucial" files. UMMM... Yea... That would be ME.

Thanks for the host file entries. I've known for a long time about doing that but just too lazy to actually track down the URLs.