Refinshing tips for KLF

Klipschtastic

The original owner painted or stained my KLF20s black from the original oak color. I like them black but the current finish has runs in it and is chipping. I would like to strip it off and refinish it in a nice satin black or I wouldn't be opposed to possibly leaving it the original oak if I could strip it back to that.

The thing is I know nothing about veneer and don't want to mess them up. I understand the veneer is very thin and can be sanded through if not carefull. I definatly want to do a better job than the first owner and make it more durable and not so prone to chipping.

Also what is the finish on the KLF comprised of? Is it stained and clearcoated? Can it be sanded much?

Could someone link me to a site that better explains the process of stripping and refinishing veneer?

You actually do not need to worry about removing the old veneer. In theory, the paint should not have penetrated the lacquer clear coat, and you can simply use paint remover, and clean with lacquer remover, etc. Then very lightly sand, then apply a new coat of satn or semi-gloss black.

The problem may be if the finish was "oiled". In that case, the old paint will likely have penetrated the grain of the oak. Oak is coarse grain finish by nature of the species. In that case, you may be be better off applying new oak veneer. It's not that difficult, and not that expensive.

See these threads for discussions and techniques for veneer, re-finishing, etc.