Klipschorn LF filter

John Warren

Filter schematic at bottom of page. Design attempts to attenuate "hump" in bass response. If iron core Ls and polyester Cs are used, cost is low. So, if you build it and you don't find it to your taste, its not a large investment and you've learned something. It's offered as a project. It's an interesting modification. The current version of the Klipschorn filter (AK-5?) uses a similar approach as did the AK-4.

The filter alters the response in the frequency domain.

http://www.northreadingeng.com/Klipschorn_notch/Notch_Filter.html

Overall, a good idea. So I looked at your schematic and that of the AK-4 for the notch filter, they are very similar.....but I think it might be worth clarifying, this is/is not intended to be used with the AK-4 or AK-5 since they already have one and the component values are pretty close functionally ? I don't think it's worth the trouble to disable the onboard AK-4 or AK-5 to replace with this one (the only major difference is the series inductor and pro's and con's about using a 6mh vs 13mh might be ambiguous) So is this intended for AK-3, AK-2 xovers? I don't think the ALK Universal uses a notch filter so would it work there? The ALK ES line I think uses a notch filter so maybe not intended for use with ES xovers? What about the ALK gentle slope xovers? it would work with Bob's AK-3 and AK-2 xovers. I think the point being folks need to understand notch filters are good....but they might already have one. A list of which xovers don't have one would be helpful. What about the LaScala? AL-4 and AL-5 uses a notch filter. There's some crazy stuff happening in the LaScala bass bin when using xovers with out notch filters like the AL-3 and AA . The Al has a notch filter.

For the Klipschorn, I'm not aware of notches used in any net other than the AK-4, -5 To validate the response of the notch requires the horn output to be measured and, for a Klipschorn, this is a challenge. The technique I'm using (which requires altering the horn in a way that is not reversible) appears to produce a magnitude response consistent with the factory results.

It will work with AK, AK-2, -3, AA, A. For other suppliers such as ALK or BEC, it's not clear to me, I haven't considered them. The notch is specific to the Klipschorn, it will not work properly in Lascala.

I would suggest building the LF filter as is shown in the schematic as a stand alone and use mid and HF filter sections from factory network.

Thanks for the input.

ps. giving up sensitivity for linearity.

p.p.s if Bob's are copies of the factory nets, it should work with those also.

John, may we ask the design DCR of your L2 (12.9mH)?

One could use an inexpensive inductor by adjusting the total R of R2~R5 + DRC of L2 to keep the Q of the notch the same.

C3~C6 should be low ESR (film type, not electrolytic) to maintain proper filter Q.

Oh, nice work!

Thank you.

The inductor DCR is about 0.4 Ohms, It's an unwind from a Janzten 15mH powder core. The resistors are simple wire wound. Caps in the prototype are Jentzen or Solen (polyetheylene film).

The filter shown in the schematic will present a minimum impedance magnitude of 3.8 Ohms to the amplifier over the stop band. That, plus improving linearity of the frequency response were "design goals". Tweaking is fine as long as one is aware that there are relationships between inductor DCR, inductance, total power dissipation, total capacitance, horn magnitude response, impedance magnitude and so on. Amplifier can get damaged or, at best, shut down if the notch is tweaked into no-man's land.

I've used polyethelyene and polyester film caps.

<snip> To validate the response of the notch requires the horn output to be measured and, for a Klipschorn, this is a challenge. The technique I'm using (which requires altering the horn in a way that is not reversible) appears to produce a magnitude response consistent with the factory results.<snip>

John--

Hey! Another measurement-type guy!

What do you think of this LF measurement idea?

http://community.klipsch.com/forums/t/160262.aspx

--Greg

The AK-4 uses a notch filter in the LF and MF section

This is the first I've seen a factory schmeatic of the AK-4. Now folks can build both and compare the diiferences. The factory unit will produce about 2dB additional attenuation (and a bit more phase error). I looked at a very wide range of Q values for this project including more than a single notch (sometime in the late 80s btw)..

The model responses are provided as comparison below (AK-4 brown, KS2 blue).

The simualtion loads each filter with a simulated Klipschorn load.

This is the first I've seen a factory schmeatic of the AK-4.

Now folks can build both and compare the diiferences.

The parts count has made this a vary unpopular DIY xover. They don't come up for sale on the forum often, and sell fast when they do.

• 2 weeks later...