Does the RC-62 II Employ Tapered -Array? Question Answered

CopperCone

Hi Folks,

I couldn't find the answer to this question on the forum so I contacted Klipsch support. I thought I'd share the response in case others have the same question (see below).

I just purchased an RC-62II to replace the RC-3 in my second room system. My experience with the RC-64 II is that there is a remarkable difference in music playback compared to the RC-3, especially with stringed music and dynamic range in general (I toggled back and forth testing the same tracks). I am hoping the musical sound will reproduce somewhat close to my experience with the RC-64 II in the Main room. Two less woofers, slightly higher HF xover point, but similar sensitivity appear to be acceptable differences for almost 1/3 the price for the smaller room :) I will install tomorrow and see if the specs match up to the sound.

"Hi Neal,

The RC-62 II is not tapered array as the previous
RC-62
The only center in the current Reference series
that is a tapered array is the RC-64 II

Special Notice: We will be conducting physical
inventory from March 1st through the 5th and we
will be unable to ship any product or parts orders
during this time. Sorry for any inconvenience this
may incur.

Steve Phillips Senior Product Support
1-800-554-7724
Fax 317-860-9195

-----Original Message-----
hey_neal@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 11:32 AM
To: Technical support
Subject: Crossover points, tapered array

[Country] US

[if Product Related Question - Which Product?]
RC-62 ii

Hi, I have heard the RC-62 ii center speaker has a
tapered array cross-over configuration as the
previous model did. I see that the RC-64 II specs
show two high frequency cut-off, 1100 and 1400
respectively. I am interested to know the cut-offs
for the rc-62 ii so I can make a decsion on best
match with my other speakers.

Thanks,
Neal

A follow up question I asked regarding if the sound would be any different without tapered array..

I've hooked up the RC-62 II today and it sounds VERYsimilar to my RC-64 II and even has more bass response. I am quite pleased with the more natural, dynamic, and warmer sound that I was expected over my RC-3. I toggled between speakers for various music and movie tracks and there is quite a noticable difference. The RC-3 has more of a "loud" sound to it vs the 62 II which seems much more refined and accurate. Not to mention the build on the RC-62 II is much more robust including the vinyl wrap. Time to sell the RC-3 :)

Nope.

Should not experience any issues at all.

Special Notice: We will be conducting physical inventory from March 1st through the 5th and we will be unable to ship any product or parts orders during this time. Sorry for any inconvenience this may incur.

Steve Phillips Senior Product Support
1-800-554-7724
Fax 317-860-9195

visitusonfacebook_icon_am twitter_icon_am

Sent: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 9:37 AM
To: Technical support
Subject: Re: Crossover points, tapered array

Steve,

Thanks for the clarification. I just purchased the RC-62 II. Should I be aware of any potential frequency cancellations due to lack of tapered array in this version of the RC-62?

Neal

I have never heard the 64 II in person but if they designed it like the rf-7 and rf-7 II, they goal in mind is to have a system that starts to pick up and perform as they were designed to at higher volumes. The rf-7 really starts cranking out bass after you really get them going where as the 82's and 62's for instance have that deep bass pretty much straight off the bat. The 64 II was probably designed in a similar way to the 7's from what you are describing between the 62 II and the 64 II.

I would assume that the tapered array is used to help keep the sound clean at higher volumes as it is designed to keep up with the rf-7's. Centers need to be articulate an maybe this was klipschs way of maintaining that in a larger center.

I would also debate that the rc-64 II is the largest center on the market for home use (not commercial grade theater centers). In my travels amongst websites of different audio companies i dont ever recall seeing a center as substantial as that one. This is of course barring the heritage and palladium lines offered by klipsch as well as the thx series (commercial grade).

I would assume that the tapered array is used to help keep the sound clean at higher volumes as it is designed to keep up with the rf-7's.

Not exactly:

To borrow some of Klipsch's verbiage

With tapered-array, the two Cerametallic™ woofers work together to
deliver high impact bass with one driver transitioning out at the
mid-range frequencies. This provides more consistent coverage across the
listening field, less tonal error and improved dialogue
intelligibility.

AFAIK, what it boils down to is that it helps with the issue of lobing in the center channel, and helps ensure a reasonably flat response over a wide area versus a standard center.

I had the rs-62i for a month before upgrading to the rs-62ii's from same dealer (was lucky enough not to be charged). My primary goal here was to improve the 'wife factor' by getting the rounded grills vs the v-shaped grills with the cheap vinyl and plastic side ports being exposed. I was also pleasantly surprised by the acoustic improvement musically producing a much warmer sound. I then upgraded my rc-64 to rc-64ii. Again I had this for a month but the dealer did have to charge me an extra $200 on trade-in.