Difference in tonal quality in RF-83 and RC-64

rayians

Hey everyone! I just picked up an RC-64 to accommodate my RF-83's. I noticed a considerable difference in the highs of the two. The RF-83's are extremely crisp and while the RC-64 sounds very good, the higher end highs are not nearly as prominent as they are in the 83's.

So far I changed the channel each speaker is on (put an RF-83 as center and RC-64 as a front), and still the RF-83 sounded much crisper. Therefore it's not my amp or the source (I am running a Yamaha RX-V1065). I also went as far as to take each speaker apart and actually swapped the tweeters from one speaker to the next. Same result, the RF-83's were still much crisper. Therefore it's not the tweeter itself. I am also 100% sure the RC-64 tweeter is functioning.

I am thinking the difference has to lie in the crossover network. The RF-83's high frequency crossover is listed at 1650 Hz, while the RC-64 is listed as 1150 Hz and 1800 Hz.

As a result, I am considering changing crossover network in the RC-64. My question is would putting an RF-83 crossover network in my RC-64 potentially harm it? Would any other crossover be a better fit? Any other suggestions whatsoever are extremely appreciated!

Thank you all in advance!!

This subject has been mentioned more than once on the forum and confirmed by some also, including me. I do think the tonal difference is a combination of a couple of things, crossover points and the ported vs sealed issue.

I do think you can get the tone closer by using tone controls, turning the treble up on the 64 and down on the 83's, and the opposite with the bass controls.

I was able to make a noticeable difference by using a warmer B&K amp on my 63's and a neutral/brighter Acurus amp with my 64. It did help some. Now I have all Acurus amps and am back to square one but I don't mind it at all because the positives with the Acurus now outweigh the negatives with the tonal differences.

Bill

Bill,

I am only currently running the Yamaha RX-V1065 receiver to power all speakers. This has a built in EQ which the all highs of the RC-64 are maxed out to +6 and the RF-83's are only at +3 at the most, and still I have considerably more highs from the 83's.

• 2 months later...

I finally figured out my problem with a good bit of experimentation.
What helped me figure it out was when I set the RC-64 and an RF-83
directly next to one another and hooked up only the tweeter of each. I
then hooked up the RC-64 as a right channel and the RF-83 as a center
and voila, the RF-83 is now muddy and the RC-64 was bright and crisp!

Therefore
it was obvioulsy the output of my Yamaha receiver. However, it was
purchased brand new and the EQ was set properly. I can only assume it
was set from factory that way, why I am not sure. I picked up a Pioneer
VSX-1121-K and it sounds AMAZING! Not to mention, there is plenty of
adjustment left on the EQ unlike the Yamaha in which all the high
frequencies were cranked up and I still wasn't happy with the sound.

If any other Yamaha receiver owners are having a similiar problem with your center channel not sounding as crisp as your fronts, perhaps you should upgrade your receiver. You won't believe the difference!!

I do believe it! I went through somewhat the same process.

The first time I auditionned the rf 83 I was blown away.

My set up worked well with my rf 3 , so I reused the same system but i could never get the same result. I tried erything, change the room, cables, room acoustics but nothing really worked. Something always felt missing.

I finally upgraded the system a few weeks ago, I bought the same amplifier and newer preamp but the same brand that what I had listen to during the first audition.

The result amazing, the difference is incredible. Even the image processing is so much better.

Glad you finally get to enjoy yours