Wilson Audio WATT/Puppy 6&7

fs1

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/wilson_watt_puppy6.htm

http://www.stereotimes.com/speak030600.shtm

http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip/wattpuppy6.0/

plus various reviews in Stereophile, HiFi News and World Reports, Ultimate Audio, The Absolute Sound, and most other high-end magazines.

In a nutshell - depends upon your perspective. From the perspective of a fairly wealthy person who's really into audio and might actually consider something REALLY expensive, like the JM Labs Utopia or Grande Utopia, or the Karha Exquisite 1B or 1A, or a Wilson Grande SLAMM, or a Martin Logan Statement, or some other $75 -> $100K speaker system, the Watt/Puppy6 is a nice, entry level system that's a bit on the analytic side of neutral, requires a heafty amount of current, doesn't extend all that far into the deepest bass, images well, has a lively sound that can be a bit bright based on your other equipment, does micro-dynamics well, is available in some nice colors, and is small enough that it doesn't dominate a room.

From the perspective of someone who thinks a pair of Klipsch RF7 are expensive, the Watt/Puppy is a hideously overpriced speaker that's got limited bass, needs a lot of power, won't play as loud as something that costs 10% as much, and while it MIGHT do a FEW things better than, say, the RF7, it costs $20,000 friggin dollars!

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

I have always been a little mystified by Wilson Audio. They seem to "be there: in the audio world, but they are also "nobodys" with a relitivly small factory in Utah and limited R & D.

IMO, I think companies like Klipsch, JBL/Infinity, B&W, etc. should be able to make speakers that would blow the crap out of Wilson Audio because they make more money in a day that Wilson Audio has in a few years.

However, if someone had a pair of Wilson Audio's to give away, I would be the first in line.

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

What?

The WATT/PUPPY has limited bass! HA HA HA,has plenty of if used with a real amp.I heard these with a Mark Levinson 336 and these was no missing or weak bass.

The Wilson line is simply not as easy to drive as the MEGA BOOM Klipsch or JBL speakers.And the Wilson WATT/PUPPY needs a few good watts to start to really pump the SPL meter.And it can play very loud thank you.

The upper scale beats any Klipsch hands down,simply more detailed and natural.A no contest,the midrange is almost uncolored,no box colorations,simply one of the very best mid range you can get from any speakers(short of electrostatics or similar designs).The bass is not overblown just tight and right.

You can get good results with a poorman Bryston 4B ST,the 4B ST retails for under $2500(not expensive at all by auddiophile standards).

No speakers made outperform the WATT/PUPPY in a big way,not even the marvelous B&W Nautilus 800 Signature!

The WATT/PUPPY is right up there in quality both built and sound.

The speakers are so expensive in large part due to the high-tech construction and limited production.Mass produces the $20000 WATT/PUPPY would probably be only $7500 or less.So help me out and order more,so I can get a pair at $7500. Smile.gif

I am happy with my Spendors and Dynes,cost much less and perform very close.

Wilson uses Focal,ScanSpeak and Dynaudio drivers.No wonder it sounds good.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

This message has been edited by TheEAR on 05-24-2002 at 11:39 PM

I wonder how much money they make in PROFIT from a pair of WATT/PUPPY's?

Is it a lot, or is it just OK? Those speakers are paying for the factory they are build in, the electricity to make them, and the people to build them more than most speakers. So, are you really getting a $7,500 speaker for $20,000?

I want GRAND SLAMM...

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

"Those speakers are paying for the factory they are build in, the electricity to make them, and the people to build them more than most speakers."

Look at any speakers you want,lets take the K Horn for example.Do you think Klipsch does not make a big profit on those too? Ha

A few pieces of MDF here or plywood here and these a few not too expensive drivers and voila.I am quite sure Klipsch builds all speakers at %30 or less the selling price(besides the ProMedia).Wilson Audio uspeakers have very expensive and time consuming cabinets to make,Klipsch cabinets are easy to make and use standard materials(same for 98% of all speakers made).

Remember the distributor makes a profit,the real middle man(store)has to make one.And in the end even at a discount the speakers have to bring the green.

The WATT/PUPPY bests any $7500 spakers I head,and I heard a boatload.If the WATT/PUPPY was sold even for 10 grand I would find the money to get them,damn sure.But as you know they sell for double that.And $20000 is way to much for compact tower minitors.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

OK Ear, for every 20 Klipschorns Klipsch makes, Wilson can only make one WATT/PUPPY (a guess to make a point) The people get paid the same, the machines that make them cost the same, etc. What I am saying is that a pair of WATT/PUPPY's is paying for 20X more power, computers, labor, so the price will be higher. Also, they are less efficent (not as much specialized equiptment, but same/better quality) in building them, so costs rise there.

Are they good speakers, HELL YEAH! The point I am trying to make is you are paying for a hell of a lot more labor and other costs, so the speakers really are not $20,000 speaker swhen compared to somthing like Dynaudio or B&W.

I am NOT talking about sound, just business.

------------------