Klipsch vs Cambridge

My girl friend and I want to phase in a 1st class A/V system (but we are also cheap). We want to 1st add good main speakers to a 70 watt Denon AV receiver and a Pioneer DVD.

After listening to Boston Acoustics, Definitive, Infinity and Klipsch) at a Tweeter, we preferred the Klipsch line and loved the sound of the RF3's (perceived big improvement over Synergy line and Reference bookshelves, heard no measured improvement with RF5s, and, RF7s were unavailable and likely more than our budget for today).

My girlfriend previously had a set of Advents (the big guy for which went off to Cambridge Soundworks-CSW) that I really liked but have been unable to listen to since Tweeters don't carry them. Out of curiosity I went to CSWs web site and found that they sell refurbished Tower IIs for $475 and Towers for $675 on ebay which, based on spec's, appear comparable to RF3s and RF7s, respectively, a decent discount compared to new Klipsch's.

After seeing the rave reviews on forum for RF7s, it seemed as though CSW's Towers might be a good alternative at about half the price and a similar big improvement over the RF3's but, site unseen, we are hesitant.

I'd love some feedback from all your audiphiles, enthusiasts and neophites so we move forward wisely. Thanks

I'm not surprised that you prefer Klipsch over the above choices. If your ears say the Klipsch is better, don't doubt them. That said, I guess the ultimate question is just how much are you willing to spend on your speakers??

I will first mention that there is no other purchase for your system that will make more difference in the sound than your speaker choice. Choose carefully, and wisely. Trust your ears. You do seem flexible in the fact that you will tolerate a floorstanding speaker. This does give you much more flexibility in choices, and in most cases, a better sounding speaker. If you can put up with some cabinet size, you can achieve sonic bliss - affordably.

For home theater, you will want to keep the 5 to seven speakers in the setup "timbre matched". Ideally, 3 identical mains should be used across the front array - for example, 3 RF3's as left, center, and right. Why?? Because 75% of 5.1 and above channels goes through that center channel - it should be the most capable speaker in a home theater. (Some on the forum have custom built center speakers to suit thier placement needs - it's not as difficult as it sounds, either. If there is no room for a main as center, there are center channel speakers that are easier to set up around your television or display device). Then you use appropriate speakers as surrounds, also timbre matched to the 3 mains.

The RF3 is the most affordable towers currently sold by Klipsch in the Reference line (RF series). They are good bang for the buck. All of the necessary matches are available (center and surrounds) to complete the system later. The matching RSW line of subs will allow you to finish off the system (or any other good quality subs that are out there). You can take it one step at a time, adding speakers as your budget allows. The RF5 and 7 are the upgrades in the RF line. The RF5 is closer to the 3 than the 7 in quality (IMO). The RF7 is the most desirable, if your wallet can handle it. Truly an awesome main speaker for your system.

Another approach is with the Heritage line - primarily "used" in this case, since cheap is a consideration. I have built a system out of used Klipsch for 35% of new price, with 100% of the performance (check my sig). I'm not bragging, but it is truly impressive. Ebay, this bulletin board, and other used audio sites are good places to look for vintage Klipsch speakers. There is a large group of us on the forum who choose to go used on Klipsch, because of the cost/performance ratio, and a belief by many of us that the vintage models are sonically preferable (again, trust your own ears). My Klipsch are built solid, and with proper care will last as long as I do. There are Klipsch from the 50's and 60's still sounding great. If you want to know more, there's tons of info in the archives of this forum, that get into more detail about any of the vintage models you might consider. We've probably discussed it before - the search function on this board will reap loads of info about whatever Klipsch question you have. If not, that's what we're here for!

I tell anyone looking to make a speaker purchase to overspend if possible, because it is the one purchase where spending more money gives sonic benefit - more so than any other audio purchase. Get what your ears tell you to buy (to the degree the budget and room will allow). You will ultimately be happier, and will have less desire to upgrade. Since Klipsch last so long, you'll want to get the Klipsch that you can live with that longSmile.gif

Your listening room will also be a big factor in your choice. If you can give more specifics as to room size, listening habits, and what you ultimately want out of your system when it's finished, we can get more specific. You are in the right place though.

Welcome to Klipschcwm9.gif

------------------

Klipsch Cornwall II's (mains)

Klipsch Academy (center channel)

Klipsch Chorus (surrounds)

Outlaw 750 Amplifier (5x165)

H/K AVR 75 (used as pre/pro - will be upgraded soon)

Bass Kit:

2 JBL 4638 LFE/Bass Reinforcement cabinets

Crown CE 1000 amplifier

Behringer Feedback Destroyer (Bass EQ)

Sources:

Pioneer DV-333

2 Aiwa ADF-850 3 head cassette decks

General Instruments cable box

Panasonic VHS PV-4459

Digital Audio Labs CardDeluxe (computer sound)

f> c> s>

This message has been edited by dndphishin on 05-23-2002 at 09:15 AM

Hey Start_up

First

quote:

Originally posted by start_up222:

RF7s were unavailable and likely more than our budget for today.

Hmm, try and find a place that has some in stock. And wheel and deal. I got my RF7s for $800 each.

quote:

After seeing the rave reviews on forum for RF7s, it seemed as though CSW's Towers might be a good alternative at about half the price and a similar big improvement over the RF3's but, site unseen, we are hesitant.

Your taking the smart approach. I strongly encourage you to find a place that has both the RF3s and RF7s and compare them.

I can tell you that two of us who hang out here in the forum started out with the RF3s but moved up to the RF7s right away. Not that the RF3 is a bad speaker, but simply because the RF7 is such a awesome speaker. And with that said, I actually upgraded the entire package. I had started with the R3s all the way around, but bit the bullet and upgraded to the R7s. I have no regrets at all.

------------------

m00nsCinema

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Oh and one more thing. I don't know what set he has but a co worker bought a package deal of the Cambridge line. He has been very unhappy with them. I have never been able to get a straight answer out of him as to why. Non the less, he is taking them back and I think I have convienced him to get some Klipsch. cwm35.gif

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

start - First, let me commend your girlfriend for taking an active interest in this, and in permitting floor standing speakers. Sound is created by moving air, and until they repeal the laws of physics, it takes a big speaker to move a lot of air correctly (IMHO).

It would be near impossible to gauge the sound of a speaker simply by the specs. I believe the CSW speakers will sound very different to you than the Klipsch sound you like.

I'm a fan of used Klipsch speakers, because I can afford more speaker than I could get if I bought new. For the amount you cited above for the refurb'd CSWs, you could pick up a pair of Klipsch Heresy, Forte, or maybe even Chorus speakers which, I believe, would blow away the CSWs and sound better than the RF-3s. IMO, the Forte's are probably the best of the 3 in your situation, because of their strong bass and somewhat smaller size than the Chorus speakers. The Heresy is a great speaker, but you may find yourself wanting a subwoofer if you like to hear strong low bass.

You can read about the Heresy on the Klipsch web site, under Home Audio/Heritage. The other two are under the Home Audio/Classic section.

Just my .02...

Doug

------------------

My System

This message has been edited by dougdrake on 05-23-2002 at 11:05 AM