Replacement Woofer Needed for Promedia 2.1 Star Wars Edition

Youthman

• Moderators

I fired my speakers up this morning and noticed very little bass. I removed the speaker grill to find this.

Promedia-Woofer1.jpg

Promedia-Woofer2.jpg

Promedia-Woofer3.jpg

I emailed Klipsch to see if they have the replacement woofer for it. I'm hesitant to put much into the system since I had very poor results with my previous promedia 2.1 system (lasted 2 weeks before amp died) and this unit, the amp plate gets EXTREMELY hot to the touch even when music is not playing. With that much heat being generated, I can't imagine it lasting too long.

Is there a refoam kit that would work for it?

Anyone have a spare woofer laying around?

Would any 6.5" driver from the standard promedia 2.1 systems fit? I'm assuming they used the same driver.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Sorry guys, I forgot to update this thread. I ended up contacting Klipsch Parts and ordered a replacement woofer for around $20.00 + shipping. Problem is they said they won't be receiving another batch of woofers for a month or two. So I've been waiting since mid-March to receive the driver. Earlier this month, I emailed them inquiring on the status and on April 16th, I received an email from Parts saying "the ETA for these to arrive into the US would be late this month." Hopefully it will be anytime now.

Contacting support to see what they can do tho it does not look good. it seems they are getting rid of the whole computer/pro media lineup.

I can't blame them. Seems the amps in the Promedias were not designed that well to begin with.

No word from support yet.
Do you know if any subwoofer driver with the same size can replace it?
Technical specs?

Thanks!

Not sure. Problem with other drivers is the it has to have the same hole pattern and width around the edge since the driver sits inside a cutout for the speaker. For $20, I'd say just buy one from parts.

• Moderators

Well, I spoke too soon.

Good news is the woofer arrived today. Bad news is
it does not fit. They shipped me the standard promedia woofer with black trim
and black speaker grill instead of the Stare Wars version with grey trim and
grey speaker grill. The grey trim from my blown sub slides easily into the sub
box but the new woofer is barely too wide to push down into the cutout in the
cabinet. I emailed Klipsch to ask if they wanted me to swap the black trim from my old speaker and see if that fits or if they would rather send me the correct speaker with grey trim and grey speaker grill.

That sucks!

I'm still without a response from Klipsch parts department. Yesterday I bought a new speaker from a local audio shop and tried it on. It works! But the sound was noisy and not very loud. It was a 100watt speaker and apparently the original one was a 200 watt. I returned it today and ordered a 200 watt. Hopefully it will work "as new".

I would consider buying the speaker from you if it doesn't fit (mine are the standard black edition) but I'm affraid the postage to Portugal would be too expensive.

Good luck! I'll keep you informed of my progress also. It might help someone out in the same situation.

• Moderators

I would consider buying the speaker from you if it doesn't fit (mine are the standard black edition) but I'm affraid the postage to Portugal would be too expensive.

Yes, that would be an expensive trip. :)

I heard back from Klipsch this morning. His advice was since the Star Wars Edition is no longer in production, I would have to try and make it work with my grey trim or return for refund. I don't see why it would not work unless for some strange reason the grey trim is different size and does not fit the woofer. I would not think Klipsch would modify their mold slightly just to make a "Limited Special Edition" speaker.

Will let you know if it fits later today.

• Moderators

Instead of trying to remove the trim, I tried one last time to get the driver to slip into the cabinet. With a few firm taps around the edge, it slipped right in. I might not ever be able to remove the driver but it's hooked back up and is thumping once again.

• 1 month later...