dc offset

jess28

picked up a dmm to check the offset

gettiing readings of r ch - 36.8 l ch - 26.3

it's a cheap dmm testing voltage setting 200m

it shouldnt have a - ?

my nad with the pre amp problem reads 0.00 both channels

what am i if anything doing wrong

thanks ahead of time i know I'm posting alot of question but alot of you guys have been such a big help and have tons of knowledge i dont posses yet

been checking out the service manual and it says to set the bias to +- 16 mv so its amost double on the l ch and more than double on the left

i guess i should have it fixed i've been reading that as long as its under 50mv i wont damage speakers but may be losing some sound quality maybe thats why it doesnt sound a good as my other 555s

picked up a dmm to check the offset

gettiing readings of r ch - 36.8 l ch - 26.3

it's a cheap dmm testing voltage setting 200m

it shouldnt have a - ?

my nad with the pre amp problem reads 0.00 both channels

what am i if anything doing wrong

thanks ahead of time i know I'm posting alot of question but alot of you guys have been such a big help and have tons of knowledge i dont posses yet

When checking DC offset, are you doing it with the speakers disconnected? In my experience it's not always as low as desired, but below 50 mv I wouldn't be overly concerned. How much does it vary between initial turn-on and, say, an hour later? Btw, I'm also in Hunterdon County in case you ever need any help. Regards-- Maynard

Yes,Speakers disconnected.

I was searching about checking dc offset for the 555 the consensus seemed to be to test with no load so I didn't get any resistors

The reason I was concerened is I just bought the amp I always pop the top and look for any physical signs of distress

And I found the left channel fuses wrapped in foil .

Yes,Speakers disconnected.
I was searching about checking dc offset for the 555 the consensus seemed to be to test with no load so I didn't get any resistors
The reason I was concerened is I just bought the amp I always pop the top and look for any physical signs of distress
And I found the left channel fuses wrapped in foil .

Yes, finding fuses wrapped in foil would raise my eyebrows also; but, I've seen worse over the years! Since you have the service manual, and seem familiar with taking measurements, I'd turn on the amp and start verifying voltages after it has been on for an hour. Check the DC offset again (as you are doing it, with no load), verify the bias and adjust it accordingly, and check the power supply rail voltages. If all is well, I'd just enjoy the amp.