HPS 4000 545-4 system

kg4guy

As general question to builders on the forum, has anybody eithe modled in HR or ABACA what that 3/4" step on the La Scalla does to the sound (or has anyone filled it in to see?) ? it seems like a turbulence generator. In the same vein I am curious to know what the 45 degree reflectors at the first bend do to the response. Dennis mentioned adding them into a La Scalla in an attempt to extend the bins response. Can anyone comment on their findings? Sorry if this has been discusse dbut I just don't have the time to dig into the archive vault. Best regards Moray James.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no the 3/4" jog on where the long side of the dog house meets the short side. Looking from the pointed front of the dog house into the horn. Sorry I don't have a picture is this making sense? then jusst past that continuing toward the throat just past the 3/4" step OI am asking about you get to the first 90 degree bent where the Peavey has 45 degree reflectors and the La Scalla does not. Best regards Moray James.

PS really like the look of those new horns.

As general question to builders on the forum, has anybody eithe modled in HR or ABACA what that 3/4" step on the La Scalla does to the sound (or has anyone filled it in to see?) ? it seems like a turbulence generator.

Thanks a bunch for the link. Did you by chance make a drawing? Question, are these designed for a 12 or a 15? The doghouse follows the La Scalla style, if you follow the side of the dog house back fron the front point you come to that 3/4" step. Aside from making things stiffer at theat panel joint what is the function or purpose of that 3/4" jog? I would have thought it would cause a lot of turbulence no? Thanks and best regards Moray James.

no the 3/4" jog on where the long side of the dog house meets the short side. Looking from the pointed front of the dog house into the horn. Sorry I don't have a picture is this making sense? then jusst past that continuing toward the throat just past the 3/4" step...

Do you mean the area that the red arrows are pointing at?

post-53023-13819691655916_thumb.png

Do you mean the area that the red arrows are pointing at?

maybe the corner bracing on the floor running from back to front on the left and right?

Yes thos are the two 3/4" steps I am referring to (thanks for the picture). The other question is in regards to vertical corner reflectors which the La Scalla does not have but the FH-1 does and those would be positioned in the 90 degree corner behind the 3/4" steps. Thanks for the help. Best regards Moray James.

I response to Speakerfritz:

no not the cabinet cleat you mentioned but the side edge of the doghouse as indicated by the red arrows. Best regards Moray James.

actually the entire straight section after the first turn but before the final flare hurts the horn. this straight section is only there to allow a 15" woofer to fit.

Yes you are right and I agree. Looking at the FH-1 it is a better layout with a little less compromize. Has anybody got any good pictures of the HPS555 horn? It looks like it takes the FH-1 a little farther yet again. I have to learn to fly HR so I can doodle with these types of things.

KG4guy what do the FR graphs on your bif horn look like? I am most interested in the 600 - 900 Hz area to see if it has been filled in and smoothed out. That would help a lot in making for a good two way speaker. It's a lot to ask of a woofer though. Best regards Moray James.

I am most interested in the 600 - 900 Hz area to see if it has been filled in and smoothed out. That would help a lot in making for a good two way speaker. It's a lot to ask of a woofer though. Best regards Moray James.

It's a lot to ask of a Khorn with a K33, but not a LaScala or FH-1 with a K43, which easily goes beyond 600 Hz.........the other woofer I would try would be a freshly reconed EVM 15L.

I don't see the post that you are referring to. The build I posted is one from speakerplans dot com and is a quick copy of a Peavey FH-1. Like the FH-1 this build eliminates that parallel wall section in the La Scalla. I would imagine thatone could gain some additional output by tweaking the very first section of expansion to say a hypex flair rate. Just a guess on my part but I am sure that HR would provide the necessary info to play away with as many "what ifs"
as you can think of. Best regards Moray James.

Anyone now how similar the HPS 4000 system is to the MCM system ?

1. The following best describes www.hps4000.com:

a. welcome to 1998!
b. worst.ProSpeaker.website.ever.
c. vomit
d. @$$!
e. all of the above

2. The business plan of HPS is:

a. @$$!
b. vomit
c. @$$!-vomit
d. govmnt teet
e. who needs R&D, we'll just copycat Klipsch horn loaded speaker designs!
f. all of the above

• 1 month later...

Anyone now how similar the HPS 4000 system is to the MCM system ?

1. The following best describes www.hps4000.com:

a. welcome to 1998!

b. worst.ProSpeaker.website.ever.

c. vomit

d. @$$!

e. all of the above

2. The business plan of HPS is:

a. @$$!

b. vomit

c. @$$!-vomit

d. govmnt teet

e. who needs R&D, we'll just copycat Klipsch horn loaded speaker designs!

f. all of the above

They didn't copycat the Klipsch speaker designs exactly. Gary Gillum, ex-Klipsch and Associates chief engineer, who's the co-patent holder on the MWM woofer, and his son, who designed the 555 bass bin, built all the speakers for this Boston company with PWK's blessing.

They didn't copycat the Klipsch speaker designs exactly. Gary Gillum, ex-Klipsch and Associates chief engineer, who's the co-patent holder on the MWM woofer, and his son, who designed the 555 bass bin, built all the speakers for this Boston company with PWK's blessing.

Nope.

In fact, Claude, the following quote was actually addressed to you back in 2010, from Ian Thacker, a former Klipsch employee:

Back to my original post on this
subject of TSCM. John F Allen and co were NEVER the worldwide
distributors for Klipsch products of any kind let alone it's cinema
systems unless you consider the USA as worldwide. This is contrary to
whatever he advertised. Allen was miffed that Klipsch sold the
professional/industrial products division to WWR Technologies, (doing
business as Klipsch Professional), who advanced the product line and
subsequently boosted sales competing with HPS. Allen had to purchase
TSCM products from Klipsch Pro and Gary Gillum did produce some MCM and
Heresy "knock-offs". I can assure you that was without the blessing of
PWK.
Allen's volume of sales as a competitor were considered so minimal
that I turned a blind eye to the fact that HPS systems were primarilly
Klipsch product being produced by G2 for John Allen. I knew that
whatever G2 produced from that line would still be of the highest
integrity and would not harm Klipsch. So if you come accross any of
those Gary Gillum produced goodies then do revere them for what they
are.

HPS-4000 systems and John F Allen no longer mention their
Klipsch heritage and associations...........make your own mind up about
that.

Claude .....my name is Ian Thacker and I pop in from time to
time on this forum. I offer insight for those interested in how Klipch
developed in the commercial products arena and to keep in touch with a
few of the old farts like me left from earlier days of Klipsch. I became
a Klipsch aficionado back in the late 1960's and 1978 I took the reins
of distribution for all Klipsch products in Australasia and the south
Pacific. (someone had to call on all those islands and I bet there are
still many HP1's & CP1's hanging in beach bars) This eventually led
to me relocating to Hope AR and to work for Klipsch and Associates. I
was around when PWK sold the company to Fred Klipsch. When Fred sold the
pro division I became its leader and Paul and I remained good friends
(enjoying many a bottle of Bushmills together). I am not here to blow
any horn .....but I will brag that my TV sound system is based around
a pair of KG2's. KG2 as in K - G squared ..................Klipsch -
Gary Gillum. Cheers!

Let's not forget this gem:

well woopy do ClaudeJ1. I will be
forever impressed by your vast knowledge and insight into the earlier
days of Klipsch. As that you quoted my comment about John F Allen I'll
take it that you directed your words at me, with the intention to
"educate" me about John Allen, Gary Gillum, Paul Klipsch et al. Do you
have any idea to whom you just enlightened about Klipsch history? Like
my friend Gary Gillum, I too go "back over 30 years on this stuff". Cheers!

You may want to revisit this thread, Claude:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/t/116843.aspx?PageIndex=1

Thanks for the repost. My reference to "not exactly" copy cat comment was about the 555 bin. I too was taken aback when I saw the web site. Yes it seems antiquated now, but those horns are still very good performers, although I don't think they are anywhere near as good as the Roy Delgado has designed for the modern Pro Theater "top end."

Gary Gillum told me that the reason they went for the quad manifold on the mid horn was it had the greatest power density of any midrange horn out there and was very rugged............still a copy of a PWK design for sure, but I think they buying the parts from Klipsch as there wasn't enough volume to warrant their own tooling.

I guess it depend on who you talk about things that happened over 30 years ago..........nonetheless, we both make good points.

As to Mr. Thacker, I didn't know who he was when comments were made, which was before he made that information public. I have been on many internet boards out there since the early days of the internet, and it takes a bit of time to establish one's credibility, which Mr. Thacker did in short order, but not short enough to divert my original comments, unfortunately.