Maybe a silly question but...???

usmcavenger

Does anyone know exactly what kind of wood they use to make the RF-7ii's? I have a pair of the black ones and I LOVE them! But was just wondering exactly what kind it is because on the website they just call it a "wood vineer" and I didn't understand what exactly they were talking about. Also, is the wood grain real too? Again I know it's a weird/ stupid question but I just couldn't stop thinking about it. haha. thanks in advance for the help! KLIPSCH FOREVER!!!!

• Moderators

Mdf cabinet with a tin layer of oak veneer on the outside.

That would be my guess since that's what the other speakers are made of. The "Real Wood Veneer" is like an 1/8" thick. That's why you have to be careful if you ever try and sand them to remove scratches. Too much sanding and you get down to the glue and the MDF.

been there. Done that to my heresys. Don't sand through the veneer! First time you can use a power sander (a random orbit snader is best) but make sure you leave enough that you can finish by hand sanding because that will make it look best. Use a sanding block (the curved rubber one made by 3m) and work your way through the grits. I can't help but reinforce the fact that you really get 1 shot at this. let the sander do the hard work of getting through the stain, or almost through it all and then use your hand sanding. This lets you have more control and will give you time to work out the swirls the sander leaves.