westrex 30150 (we555) takes a k55v diaphragm?

pde2000

ive got a pair of old westrex midrange drivers, but one has a ruined diaphragm. the phenolic diaphragms for the k55v look identical but id like to check first if any body knows if the units are interchangable before i buy one to try myself. the drivers are permanent magnet versions of the old 555 field coil units from western electric. the old units are aluminium, so i expect they would sound different, its just the japanese supplier of replacements charge about $1000, which is a bit outside my budget. i would be grateful if someone could come up with an answer, as the web page of the only sellers of k55 diaphragms i can find doesnt give dimensions (presumably because if you need to recone a klipsh you just want to know it fits your kit). thanks, paul

• 2 weeks later...

have just got a 'bad' k55v diaphragm from bob (he gave it to me, what a gent). am listening to it now. its not the same as the alloy westrex, but then who cares? the coil is wire, not ribbon and the suspension is stiff, but its a fit. who knew, the klipsh is a copy of the 555. im a happy bunny, and for a lot less than the tachyon guys charge. when im a millionaire ill order on of them fancy japenese ones. [:)]

have just got a 'bad' k55v diaphragm from bob (he gave it to me, what a gent). am listening to it now. its not the same as the alloy westrex, but then who cares? the coil is wire, not ribbon and the suspension is stiff, but its a fit. who knew, the klipsh is a copy of the 555. im a happy bunny, and for a lot less than the tachyon guys charge. when im a millionaire ill order on of them fancy japenese ones. Smile

I have pics posted somewhere from the Klipsch audio history museum that show curves of the WE 555 on a klipsch horn that PWK did.

I got to hear WE 555 drivers on a WE horn last weekend. It was really cool. I've actually seen guys with WE horns and K55 drivers.

Congrats!!

How does it sound / measure?

• 2 weeks later...

ive been playing the klipsh diaphragmed driver on a short horn (similar to khorn, but made by celestion) as center channel with the usual 500hz crossover. sounds crisp and clear. i dont have measurement equipment, but assume if sounds ok must be fine. the phenolic material is less compliant but the 30150f was made for multicell horns, unlike the earlier 30150a which was for the 13' full range horns down to 75hz. i would love to get a 15 or 16 to mate with my 30150a but they aint cheap. many cinemas scrapped the early horns as they took up a lot of space, so the drivers are more common than the horns. there are people making replicas but obviously they need to earn a living.