Subwoofer Causing Structural Damage

shake777

Hello All, Can two 12" subs cause structual damage in the home? I do like it loud, I do like to feel it, and sometimes things fall off the first or second floor walls and shelves during my basement showtimes. Most of the people I've talked to who know anything about this say no...not even close. We joke about it in the forums but are there knowlegable members who can comment on this?. Thanks, Nic

I've got four 18's mounted in a wall. They've knocked pictures down and turned ceiling fan blades in adjacent rooms. They've never harmed the structure of my house and they're mounted directly to it. I haven't even cracked the sheetrock, even at scary listening levels. If your sub hurts the structure of your home, you need to move away from the straw and stick style house and go to brick.

2 12's driving a tapped horn have quite a bit of output potential, less in other boxes. Can subs cause damage? Well, I have ripped the drywall off of the studs in one corner ( pulled the screws through the paper ), cracked other seams, dropped pictures, broken glasses.... the whole shebang.

Here's a video of a pair of 15" drivers in a big tapped horn modulating a wall. ( not my video, it belongs to Deon Bearden )

Here's another video showing a pair of vented 18's in a car ( with doors open no less ), modulating the windshield and roof, enough flex to break the windshield, although not in that particular video.