speaker calibration question avai disc denon avr3802

I tried to calibrate my new Axioms using the avia disc. I can hear the test tones , but don't know how to adjust the speaker levels. I'm sure that increasing the overall volume is not the answer. The only thing I can think to do is to go to setup on the denon, go to channel level then go to the individual speaker that is involved and adjust the volume. Then I'd have to go out of setup and back to the avia display and see how that has effected the level of the speaker in question. This seems like a tedious way to adjust the levels. Is there a simpler way? Dennis

With an SPL Meter here's how I set my levels:

1) Set main volume to 00

2) Adjust all speaker levels using the Avia test tones and the SPL Meter. I believe the Avia test tones should measure 85db on SPL meter. I use Video Essentials which measures 75db.

3) Once completed you will have a system calibrated so that 00 is the Dolby Reference Level.

Now when you adjust your main volume knob, all speakers will adjust to that volume level evenly. You just set the volume to a listening level you comfortable with. Just remember that Reference Level measures OUTPUT!

Hope this is helpful.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

quote:

Originally posted by ShapeShifter:

With an SPL Meter here's how I set my levels:

1) Set main volume to 00

2) Adjust all speaker levels using the Avia test tones and the SPL Meter. I believe the Avia test tones should measure 85db on SPL meter. I use Video Essentials which measures 75db.

3) Once completed you will have a system calibrated so that 00 is the Dolby Reference Level.

Now when you adjust your main volume knob, all speakers will adjust to that volume level evenly. You just set the volume to a listening level you comfortable with. Just remember that Reference Level measures OUTPUT!

Hope this is helpful.

Wes

Sorry that last reply was nothing.

Yes I have a sound meter from Radio shack.

I don't know where the control to adjust the speaker level would be as i am listening to the avia dvd's test tones. If i hit volume up, it goes up for everything, i.e., it turns the receiver's volume up, not the speaker being tested. How do i adjust that speaker level while still remaining within the avia dvd program? Dennis

Dennis,

Sorry, my cable connect has been out since yesterday.

If your receiver is set up properly with your TV or Monitor, you should be able to enter the setup mode and see all adjustable setting selections via On Screen Disply (OSD). You would still see the disc video and hear the test tones.

If you can't, check to ensure that you've got the proper or correct connections to send OSD to your TV or Monitor. Once you can get to the setup screen, see and here the tones, you'll then be able to enter channel balance & adjust each speakers level using the SPL meter.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

Dennis - Yes, you are correct, you must adjust each channel separately on your Denon to affect the volume of one speaker. You can do that in two places, I believe, depending on the model of Denon:

1) The setup menu, using the On Screen Display. Be aware that any changes you make using the On Screen display in the Denon's setup menu will affect the entire system, meaning that all playback from any source will be set at those volume levels. That may be fine for you.

You can switch to viewing the OSD of the Denon without stopping the Avia disk if you connect your DVD player video output directly to your TV and use a separate connection from the Denon (S Video or composite) for the OSD. Simply select the appropriate input on your TV depending on what you want to view. I have this connection and it works fine for using the Avia test tones and the Denon OSD.

2) The Level settings using the front panel knobs. This is what I used to set my levels. I like to use different channel settings for stereo than I use for watching movies. For example, I run my sub 4db hotter than the rest of the channels for that extra bass boost in movies, but I don't want that boost when listening to stereo music.

To accomplish that, I just set the source on the Denon to DVD, set the channel levels I want using the front panel knobs (calibrated using the Avia disk), and it remembers them for when I select DVD as my source. Ditto for stereo (using my CD player/tuner/phono/whatever) as the source.

Doug

------------------

My System

quote:

Originally posted by dougdrake:

Dennis - Yes, you are correct, you must adjust each channel separately on your Denon to affect the volume of one speaker. You can do that in two places, I believe, depending on the model of Denon:

1) The setup menu, using the On Screen Display. Be aware that any changes you make using the On Screen display in the Denon's setup menu will affect the entire system, meaning that all playback from any source will be set at those volume levels. That may be fine for you.

You can switch to viewing the OSD of the Denon without stopping the Avia disk if you connect your DVD player video output directly to your TV and use a separate connection from the Denon (S Video or composite) for the OSD. Simply select the appropriate input on your TV depending on what you want to view. I have this connection and it works fine for using the Avia test tones and the Denon OSD.

I still had some problems doing it this way. I'd have to switch inputs on my tv control, switch source on my av control go into setup cahannel level and change a speaker level, then back to the avia dvd test tone and see what effect that had on the level. By then the avia disk would be on to the next category.

2) The Level settings using the front panel knobs. This is what I used to set my levels. I like to use different channel settings for stereo than I use for watching movies. For example, I run my sub 4db hotter than the rest of the channels for that extra bass boost in movies, but I don't want that boost when listening to stereo music.

To accomplish that, I just set the source on the Denon to DVD, set the channel levels I want using the front panel knobs (calibrated using the Avia disk), and it remembers them for when I select DVD as my source.

I used the front button, as you said. Will these adjustments only work for dvd? To get them to work for cd, what do I do?

Also where is the phase/polarity switch on a Klipsch lf 10 subwoofer, if you know? Thanks. Dennis

"I still had some problems doing it this way. I'd have to switch inputs on my tv control, switch source on my av control go into setup cahannel level and change a speaker level, then back to the avia dvd test tone and see what effect that had on the level. By then the avia disk would be on to the next category."

Yes, I forgot that going into Setup on the Denon blocks the audio of the Avia disk. What I do is just pause the Avia disk (and I use the test tones that are just one channel at a time, rather than the sweep) while I jump to the OSD.

"I used the front button, as you said. Will these adjustments only work for dvd? To get them to work for cd, what do I do?"

Yes, any changes using the front panel adjustments are only effective on the source component selected at the time. So, if you had DVD as your source, then those settings only take effect when you play DVDs. To change the settings for the CD, select the CD as your source, then make the adjustments. This is called Personal Memory Plus on the Denons, and is briefly described on page 54 of your 3802 manual.

The Phase switch is probably located near the volume controls on the back of the sub. It is a toggle switch, as you can only choose 0 or 180 on this sub.

Good luck!

Doug

------------------

My System

• 4 weeks later...

To enable using the Avia test tones and still adjust the levels, I have found that pressing the 'ENTER/SHIFT/Pause' key on the remote for the 3802 when the remote is controlling the 'AMP' will allow you to cycle through the active speakers, which you can then adjust the levels using the up and down adjustments.

Hope this helps.

------------------

RF-3 RC-3 RS-3 KSW-12

Sony Trinitron 32"

Denon 3802