3802 Question

Mlstrass

According to the manual you have 3 choices for setting surround speakers: A, B, A+B. What is the A+B option? Could you run 2 pair of surrounds at the same time? I would like the option of adding a 2nd pair of surrounds about 1/2 way between the mains and the current surrounds. Is this possible with the 3802?

TIA...Mike

P.S. I did learn that the 3802 will safely drive 4ohm loads, so I guess I could always add them in parallel off the A speaker outputs.

Yes! And it sounds great too!!

Here is what you have. A left, center, right, left effect half way back, left effect in the left corner (or back of you filling in on the side)...and your 2 back speakers L+R behind you, right rear corner (or back of you filling in on the side), and right half way back surround. for a total of 9 speakers. Add a sub and it is 10 Speakers...LOL.

I use this on my Denon 3802. I asked help from Steve here at Klipsch he was nice enough over a bribe of a home cooked meal. (Lasagna... mmmm) We used a HT demo disc and an analog Radio Shack SPL meter. After it was all calibrated, he said, "WOW, THAT is impressive." Think of it as the same in a big movie theater how the sound totally surrounds you with information. The same info on the side and corner sides is the same yes ... but how it fills the HT room and the overall effect is incredible.

Enjoy it, and tell me what you think, after it is set up!!!

Roger

AWESOME news as I just happen to have a pair of 20's just looking for a home!

So you're running your second set of surrounds via the B speaker terminals, correct? I would "assume" that this would cut the amp power to the A+B speakers in 1/2, but since the Klipschs are so efficient this shouldn't be a problem.

Also when you calibrated did you measure/set A&B together or separately? Since calibrating will get them back up to the proper level. Looks like I'll be buying some 12 gauge wire tomorrow and hookin' it all up.

Some guys over on the HTF said it couldn't be done and the manual isn't real clear. Thanks you made my day...Mike

This message has been edited by Mlstrass on 05-27-2002 at 09:34 PM

So you're running your second set of surrounds via the B speaker terminals, correct? I would "assume" that this would cut the amp power to the A+B speakers in 1/2, but since the Klipschs are so efficient this shouldn't be a problem.

This is true...A+B

Also when you calibrated did you measure/set A&B together or separately? Since calibrating will get them back up to the proper level. Looks like I'll be buying some 12 gauge wire tomorrow and hookin' it all up.

Together...

Some guys over on the HTF said it couldn't be done and the manual isn't real clear. Thanks you made my day...Mike

Well alot of people deny a lot of things in life...ENJOY

there was some confusion i remember from the manual, but the answer is yes you can do a+b fine as long as the speaks are 8 ohms or higher. a+b is a parallel connect here & in essence u have 1/2 the previous power for each since it presents that lower impedance (higher resistance/load).

if i remember, the denon even allows dif delay settings

for each A & B (?), which could make for some more interesting surround fx.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 05-28-2002 at 11:48 AM

Seems like there's LOTS of confusion in the manual, although this is the only issue I've been unsure about.

Indy,

Thanks for clarifying for me.

boa12,

Wiring in parallel would present a 4ohm load. I checked on the Denon website and the 3802 will safely run that load.

Next question then: would I be better off just splicing off of the wires to the A surrounds, or do I need to do a separate run from the B speaker terminals?? Either way would cut the amp power in 1/2, but present a 4ohm load which would raise the power level, correct? Although if I do have the option of different delay settings when wiring A+B then that would probably be the best way to go.

ml, i'd do the b terminals for 2nd set & a+b. many others on here are doing such.

when i was looking into the denons & reading the manuals while ago we were talkin about the delay settings but never did hear any feedback on results.

chances are your A & B will be at dif distances anyway.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

• 2 weeks later...