Dolby PLIIz + DTS-MA Question

tmassey

I am wondering how Dolby PLIIz works from a source that is DTS-MA. Or does it change depending on the AVR or pre/pro? Or even how PLIIx would work on a source that is DTS-MA, or even DolbyHD for that matter? If it transcodes it, is the audio still considered lossless? If the AVR is downmixing the audio to stereo and then duplicating the left and right channels to left and right surrounds and heights, it seems like there would be a huge loss of audio quality and it technically wouldn't be "true surround". This question I guess is pretty technical, but I think it has the ability to effect a lot of home theater enthusiasts.

Edit: I found one thread on AVS that had the same question, but it turned into a Front Heights vs Front Wides vs Rear Surrounds thread and I don't believe the original question ever got answered. There was one person who claimed PLIIz can piggy back on a DTS-MA or DolbyHD signal and use algorythms to determine what will be sent to the front heights and/or rear surrounds. Maybe I'll have to give Dolby a call to confirm.

About a year ago I read a discussion on this topic at AVS. I seem to recall Chris K. (of Audyssey) commented that it does in fact run on top of the lossless tracks. It transposes the extra 2 channels and they are still lossless. I use it for everything to give me my rear surrounds and have been very pleased. My understanding is that it is essentially the same signal my side surrounds get, but set to different delays. I simple response to a complex question. :)