Re iPad Universal Remote/Revision 12/08/12

shake777

Edit: Please note these revisions may be the result of my inability to absorb the instructions and well offered support. I just don't know but I couldn't get it to work on at least two components in my theater and to I've found over time this control has not worked as well as I initially thought. If and when I'm able to delve into the issues again I'll post the results. My apologies. Please let us know if you have any findings that would clear this up. Original post follows: Hi, Here's a great little inexpensive way to run everything in each room of your house. It's sixty bucks (the ap is free) and works well once you get the hang of it. It works like a charm for me. It has a few quirks which are offset by excellent Tech Services. I found it awkward that Techs are set up to work through email however they will call you once you work out a time with them. Really though, all the info you need is included with the device that plugs into your Pad and on the website. I think a lot of members will be able to get it up and running without making any phone calls. One issue is that the remotes (they are all different and mostly correspond to the actual remote that comes with the component...you switch from one to the other as needed with the touch of a button...very cool) don't fit exactly on the display and you have to move it up and down to access all the buttons. You can also customize individual remotes as needed. It is a little time consuming and can be confusing (I gave up on it more than once) but I really look forward to using it now that the leaning curve kicked in and I had a conversation with Barry at their Tech Services. One other issues is that you can't charge while operating it so make sure you have plenty of power in your battery before sitting down to enjoy your system. Its easy to spend a lot of money on your remote and if you love your iPad this might be your ticket. Shake

Hi Ivan, A salesman showed me an iPad remote that was awesome until he gave me the price tag...over two thousand dollars. It turns out it did everything short of starting your car and it still seemed like an awful lot of money. When I first got my iPad I couldn't keep my hands off it so it was only a matter of tme before I found a remote. There are more than one out there and I really didn't want to have more unused junk around the house. I saw that the Re had a couple of awards that I had never heard of but they sucked me in nonetheless. Gimmick or not I'm glad I took a chance. It has a room by room configuration so you set up tthe remotes for each room and tap an icon to get into the next room with its group of remotes. The first time I used it it threw my Epson projector into a tail spin so I was afraid to use it. My antipathy for wasting money eventually took over and little by little I was able to make sense of it. Shake

• 7 months later...
  • Moderators

Nick, I'm a little late to the party but just purchased an iPad2. I was looking online for iPad / Harmony Apps to control my HT setup from the iPad. Just curious if you still are liking the "Re" for your setup. I have a Harmony One but thought it might be fun to encorporate the iPad2 somehow if it wasn't too expensive.

It looks like Harmony has something called Harmony Link that will allow me to connnect the iPad2 to it for about $60

I'm sorry, don't mean to get off the subject. I'm a current owner of an older Klipsch powered sub rsw-15, which I bought from a pawn shop for $550 last year.I want to get another one, but the item is discontinued. So my question is, how do you guys think the rsw-15 will match up with the new sw115??? Which one do you think is better??? Which one has more output??? Thanks for the help because this is my first home theather syster!!!

Hi Ym, I had a few glitches with the Re and I should have followed up with them or made an update on the forum to let everyone know that maybe its not the best thing since hot potatoes. They certainly tried to be helpful...emphasis on tried. I got real people to talk to but they seemed stymied by the whole thing. Harmony is a good trusted name and although I know nothing about the unit you are talking about, I would say Harmony would be the way to go. Best, Nic

• Moderators

So far I have been more than pleased with the Harmony One. It has been able to control EVERY component I have purchased with absolutely no hickups whatsoever. It just works. [:D]

Maybe I'll go the Logitech Harmony Link route and dload their harmony app.