Customizing the M2380 horn

No, I'm sorry, I meant the molded ABS plastic M2380 horns from Bob Crites, and trying to lay veneer inside it. Greg's LaVera wooden horn is $9000.00

What? They are $9,000! I had no idea! wow!

If I were veneering them, I would make paper templates. I cannot imaging the sonic difference would be that different, and if anything, the real wood would be sonically better than ABS plastic.

I wouldn't say the cost borders on the absurb. It's completely absurd. Sorry Dean.

All of the homemade wooden tractrix horns I've heard, including Greg's regular ones, were excellent in my opinion. They cost a fraction of the price of the pretty one and I can't imagine the LaVera would sound any different.

I'm sure he works hard on those, I just don't think he works that hard. :)

I don't like the trim either, probably not the best thing to have around the mouth of a horn.

I think the best thing going right now is Dave's Eliptrac. Very nice and reasonably priced.

I'm no expert either but Dave's, Greg's, ALK Martinelli trachorn...........and recently Cigarbum's...............heard them all. I thought they were all tractrix horns and really they all sounded excellent to me.

Cigarbum can build anything and now he builds a mean 300Hz horn. Sounded fantastic with big JBL drivers on his pair of Khorns.

Haven't heard the eliptrac yet.

The only horn I heard that sounds better than these various homemade tractrix was the K402.........which is a CD horn. We had a few guys present and everyone agreed that it was not a very close comparison. The 402 is pretty special. I'm still waiting for Roy to produce something better. Since I bought those things I essentially put myself out of the hobby. There's nothing more to buy.

Can't do a 402, too large for me [;)]

I'd like to explore mid horns. There are members who make & sell them to other members? I could see something akin to Greg's Fc280 with a Baby Cheek screwed on top. Probably free stand them on top of my Bill Fitzmaurice bass bins.

If I strike out, I can always do the M2380+CT125 thing and keep it a Plain Jane plastic top.