Another Tubes4hifi vta sp6 build

The Dude

I have been wanting to build one of these since, Gothover has done one about 3 years ago. To start I am newbie who has all ways dabbled here and there with some diy projects. I have some skill in soldering and once or twice assembled a couple of PC boards again along the diy means but never finished one of the projects which is a tube head phone amp, I just need to hook up the gain control and place a couple of resistors.

But on to my recently finished build the kit I have purchased has been changed to be a direct replacement for a Dynaco Pas3, I had a old Dynaco pat 4 pre that was one of my first diy jobs which consisted of replacing the caps, it turned out nice but still had a slight hum in one of the channels. When I was replacing the old board and transformer and power caps, I found a loose wire on the board which I assume was the source of the hum. I had also replaced the selector switch knowing I was going to drop in this kit. Now I was original going to do the whole kit but Roy at Tubes4hifi recommended a up grade regulated power supply and transformer. Once installed the power supply, transformer, and line stage there was no room for the phono stage. Since I have not ordered the phono stage yet, when I do I will all so order a chassis, I know of one that Roy offers but if anyone might know of a better chassis let me know. But ordering a new bigger chassis will give me more room for the phono stage.

To not boar you all to death I will not post some pics and come back to some more typing. If any of you knowledge folks want to give any constructive criticism feel free, or any tips let me know.. This is all ready built and working as I am not the type to drag on a long wait for the finished product as sometimes my projects take along time do to funding.

post-29546-13819711939068_thumb.jpg

As for how it sounds, let me start with this is my first tube audio piece. Somethings I noticed right off the bat is how the sound is much more fuller. Also allot more gain, but other then that dead quite no hums crystal clear music. I think I need to have my power amp serviced, and could use some new volume and balance pots. But all in all it sounds great I love doing new things like this, not that I am not happy with what I all ready have but thanks to the inspiring people from this forum I give new things a try and it opens up a whole new level of audio play back, thanks to all especially you Dave.

As for my power amp I am using a Kenwood basic m2a, when I am talking about the higher gain it might just be the right pre/power combo. I have the gain turned all most all the way down on the power amp and volume way down on the pre and can slightly hear music.

Thats about all the redbull I have in me for now, after I get the chance to listen some more I will report back.

Thanks for all your time

Nick.

One more quick note then I will be done. But as for the rest of the system for now I have a Technics sl-p310 cd player for source, and Heresy 1s updated with new caps and riser from Bob. I must say these things sound great in my 10x10 room. I have never noticed some much bass from this system. I am enjoying very much and cant wait to add the phono stage so I can spin the new wax I purchased last weekend. I think the redbull is taking over again.