new to home theater systems...

jplira

I purchased a Pioneer VS-1022-K, and I am looking for a decent/above average speaker system for this unit. Although, I heavily considered a Bose system, I looked at the Klipsch HD 500 system. Looking at some of the pix that I've seen, the connector for the sub has left and right rca's but no LFE connector. Am i not seeing it, or is the LFE apart of the RCA's? The receiver has a sub preout, yet the sub doesnt have a LFE... can someone shed some light on this for me? Or should I just buy a y-connector and hook it up that way if I get this system?

whats your budget? if you are tight on money but want micro speakers, the hd500 is great. A step up would be the quintets. A step above that would be the RB-42 II bookshelf set with a RC-42 II center channel and then you'd have to buy a separate subwoofer.

The subwoofer is something that you could buy at a different time if you wanted to spread things out and save up. You also dont have to stick with the klipsch line of subs as there are many other brands that you can choose from. Subwoofer size should be determined based on your room size as well as how much performance you are looking to get out of it. a $300 subwoofer isnt going to get you a 15hz brown note but it'll certainly get you some bottom end the bookshelfs lack and in a small-moderately sized room give some decent performance. Check out SVSound, Rythmik Audio, HSU Research, Emotiva, Outlaw Audio just to name a few.

I would also suggest the Klipsch Icon W WB-14 bookshelfs and matching WC-24 center from newegg but their stock is extremely low is my guess and the only color the center is available in is the cabernet while the wb-14's are available in espresso and cabernet.

I always like using a Y-connector. Having the connector to the R/L sub input can get you and extra 3 db. Another reason for using the connector is to not leave one of the sub inputs open, this can lead to RF or EM interferance and eliminate hum or buzzing from the subwoofer. The connector cost $3.29, so not a costly investment. Older sub may not come on at lower levels without a connector in the inputs.[*-)]