Spider Talk.....

Btw, the best way to hear suspension noise is to play subsonic frequencies. Air leaks from the gasket seal make little air puffing sounds, sometimes it sounds like a squeak. You can hear the suspension flapping around too - often times the voice coil leads are bouncing against the diaphragm and spider - a minor bend here and there can prevent that from happening. The thing is the noises really don't start showing up until you're really pushing things hard. If you bring down the excursion to better match what's happening at the normal passband frequencies, then all of those noises really go away. All you hear is your voice modulating a little bit like talking into a fan.

This is true.  REW lets you generate down to 10 hz, the ToneGen app lets you go to 2 hz.  I've played with 5-10-15 quite a bit, it's interesting.  Stuff you'd never hear with actual audible output is suddenly noticeable.  Even with a 1500 watt amp (2400 really but it's in stereo mode for now) maxed out into two 18's at 10 hz, it's pretty danged quiet though.  If you can pick up the suspension noise during normal music then you have better ears than I do.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

So do mirror image spiders do about the same thing as this felt mod?

no but I would expect that if you measured you might find some cancellation if the spiders were not identical and some additive frequencies. Spiders are simply suspension to hold and keep the VC in a straight line within the gap. The frlt is not only going to eat up noises made by the spider but it will also attenuate sound traveling from the cone to the pole piece and also sound reflecting from the pole piece to the cone. Regards moray james. Edited by moray james