Heresy II Capacitor Upgrade Questions

jmareci

I have a pair of Heresy II "signature series". I am wondering if upgrading the capacitors in the crossovers to Auricaps would improve things? Is there anything better than Auricaps? Would changing the values of the capacitors help or hurt?

After all of this, is there anything else that I can upgrade to improve the sound of my Heresy's?

Thanks for any help!

After all of this, is there anything else that I can upgrade to improve the sound of my Heresy's?

Take a look at the capacitor changes thread further down on page 1 of updating older speakers.

You might like to look into also changing the inductors. If you know the type of network, it is written on or above the terminal strip, it will help when asking for help.

Al Klappenberger (he builds ALK networks) can probably provide you with the mH for replacing the inductor and the uF for the capacitors.

The advice I got was change the inductor and the tweeter capacitor, if you are changing capacitors. If there are two, change the one around 2 uF or so with a good cap. Hovlands are also great, but very expensive. Solen Fast caps are a lot less expensive and almost as good. Use the better cap for the lower value and the Solens for the higher value cap.

I have just changed the 2.4 mH inductors on my Cornwalls. Solen (www.solen.ca) sells the 12 gauge solid wire, part S122.4 for $46.44 Cdn each and the 14 gauge, S142.4 for $28.16.

If you go to the archives and check out E or E2 networks, they also mention switching wire locations on the transformer to improve/modify the midrange and tweeters, which can be a little harsh on the ears. This is a easier switch with a soldering iron and not a lot of technical skill. With a lot of questions on this forum, I got enough advice to make my changes and did the work myself. I do not know the difference between mH and uF, but I can solder wires.

Good luck

Just about everyone has his own opinion on what is the best crossover cap. Some swear by paper in oil. Others like other technology. Check the archives for more than you probably want to know.

If you like the sound of your speakers now, I would suggest you don't bother. If you want to play around, go ahead. It is easy to undo if you don't like the results. You pays your money and you takes your chances.

Whatever you do, don't make a significant change in the value of the capacitor. That will change the crossover point unless you make corresponding changes to other components of the crossover. And the crossover points chosen by Klipsch are pretty much dictated by the woofer, squawker driver and tweeter used.

Replacing a 2 uF cap with a 2.2 uF cap is probably OK. Its close enough that you probably won't hear the difference. Replacing a 2 uF cap with a 1 uF cap or a 4 uF cap is not OK.

I just opened up my Heresy's to see which crossover I have. It's not marked anywhere on it. It has blue capacitors all look to be the same except for one larger one that is marked 68uf. Can anyone tell me which one I have?

Thanks!