SW12-ii for a KG System?

bobcoe

I.) I am planning of assembling my first Klipsch system (in a 16 x 26 foot room & seating will be about 1/2 way back from the front speaker/TV wall).

I am in presently in touch with a seller of a subwoofer SW12-ii...he is firm at $400...he states "purchased it new, has no problems."

Is this a fair price?

Any caveats?

Which series of Klipsch KG speakers would you consider to be the minimum to coordinate with this sub?

II.) So far, all I've picked up are 2 KG 1.5s from the local Habitat for Humanity thrift for $70, so if they won't fit in the KG setup, I won't be out much cash.

Is there a Klipsch sub that might be a better choice than the SW12-II in the $400-500. price range for my KG setup?

All comments/help will be greatly appreciated!

Bob

I think with some shopping around you could get a brand new SW-112 for that price or just a little more (I was quoted $432 locally), or even a SW-115 for $600 (which is what I got mine for). I really like my SW-115, but a lot of guys on this forum use other brands of subs such as Velodyne, HSU, SVS, Sunfire, Epik and a few others I can't think of right now...The guy I bought my system from uses 2 SW-112s and he is happy with his setup. I'm guessing he paid a lot less than any of us would tho...Just look for a 'what sub to buy' thread (like this one) in this section and you can find plenty of advice.

Thank you for the great suggestion...I was just about to pull the trigger on the SW12-ii, but changed my mind now that I've looked into the SW-1XX line, per your suggestion. The prices relative to the specs seem VERY reasonable. Thanks again, Bob

What do you plan on using your HT for? More music or movies? I don't have any experience with that sub itself, but they stopped making it in 1996. I would think that a whole lot better technology would have come out in the last 15 years. Someone else on this forum may have experience with that sub itself and may tell you that's a great deal and to go for it, but I'm not that guy =^P I'm guessing you can get a lot better for your money buying something more current.

I have an SW-12. It's pretty good sub for music and although I'm not familiar with KGs, I think it would do a decent job at that task in a room your size. IMO $400 is top dollar though. I believe they were around $1100 new. I hope that's of some help to you.

Mike