Khorn production material cutoff dates

sgrfred

hi , can you tell me when they started using mdf instead of plywood? also when did the new style drivers start to be used?

whats the difference and the more preferred and why? also is there a preference on the crossovers?

trying to decide what vintage to look for...thanks, fred

The new drivers started to be used around 2002. The basic difference is that they went back to a former manufacturer for the midrange driver, and a new and different manufacturer for the tweeter. They solved the problems a little differently than they used to, by using one of two new crossovers (AK4 & AK5) to lower the crossover on the tweeter a bit, and roll it off below the crossover point at a much greater (steeper) rate, and roll off the midrange above its best range, avoiding an anomaly in the upper region (the tweeter does fine handling that range). These crossovers also eliminated a long standing double peak in the upper bass. The AK5 came in to change the bass response a bit in reaction to the new horizontal rubber seal that helped the Khorn fit tightly into an uneven (i.e. usual) corner.

Some people like the new (2002 and after) versions better, and some like the old. I've had both, and they seem fairly close. At least one individual on the forum went to the AK5, then returned to the AK4. I have an AK4 and feel no need to change.

Also of note: The metal midrange horn was replaced by a nonmetalic (fiberglass?) one in about 1987 (?? others may correct the year). The new horn (without driver!) may still be available from Klipsch for about $50 - $60. Some people hear no difference between the two. Klipsch says the new one lowers the (already low, compared to a good number of other speakers) distortion a little bit. Some writers in magazines claimed that the metal horn was subject to "ringing." If the horn was not mounted on the baffle, that was true, but when it was screwed down -- as it would be for listening -- that was doubtful. Some audiophiles coated the outside of the horn with damping material. I have had the old one and the new one, and have not gone through the operations to see if there is a difference. They may be close enough to need a counterbalanced A-B blind test to distinguish them, involvng changing both horns and room corners in what researchers call a 2 by 2 (metal or fiberglass in corner A or corner B -- four cells), and I never had the energy to go through all of that.

Some people love Khorns (including me), and some hate them. A surprising number of people I have enountered who say they dislike them have never heard them in a good, large room with square corners. Some will confess thay have not heard them at all, but have "heard" that horns are bad. Having played in several orchestras (5, counting school) they sound real to me with good recordings.