RF-5 and RF-7, now RF-62 and RF-83, how does this work?

Hi and sorry for this newbie question but I need to know this as I'm seriously considering taking the step up to Klipsch. The bigger ones. And sorry if this thread is completely misplaced.

In my younger days I was a semi-accomplished hifi enthusiast, then as I had to focus on school and work the flame kinda died, but I'm getting back into it now. I remember RF-5 and RF-7 being on many people's lips back in the day. But now there is RF-7II and no RF-5, there are a bunch of RF-52, 62, 82, 53,63, 83, and even Mk-II versions on top of all that.

So my question is: How exactly does the hierarchy among these work today? Which are the smallest and biggest, which are the newest and oldest, which ones are discontinued and which ones are the are upgraded versions?

I've been thinking about a pair of RF-7II but I may want to go for the smaller ones considering my very limited space. Since there is no RF-5 anymore(or have I missed something), which would be the corresponding pair to them now?

Sorry if I made this sound a lot more complicated than it needed to be :P

Hi and welcome to the forum! Ya back in the day the original rf-7's and 5's ruled the roost. After them came the flagship rf-83 and 63's and under them were the rf-82's, 62's, 52's and 42's. Now the most recent flagship is the rf-7 II's followed by the rf-82 II's, 62 II's, 52 II's and lastly 42 II's. I don't think in this recent line that there is anything that takes the place of the original rf-5's, but I've heard the 82 II's are close however, not a replacement. If you look around you might be able to snag a pair of 5's on Craigslist depending on where you are. If you make the jump the to big boys, the rf-7 II's give Mike Embers from acousticsounddesign.com a call and he'll give you a pretty good price on a new pair. If you have anymore questions just ask, and someone will help ya out, good luck!

I may want to go for the smaller ones considering my very limited space.

A description of your listening room characteristics would be helpful (i.e. size, shape, furnishings, how loudly you listen, how far from the speakers is your listening spot, etc.) Speakers like the RF-7II, for example, would be way too large for a small room.

Here is the Reference IV list of speakers. Maybe someone else can find a Reference V brochure.

Klipsch Reference Series IV

New Klipsch Reference Series IV Speakers & Subwoofers
Though these speakers have similar appearance to their predecessors, it's what's under the hood that the similarities end. They incorporated their new tractrix horn for improved high frequency response. Included is an all-new substantially increased baffle ribbing in the lower panel and around the horn throat mouth to improve acoustics and reduce enclosure resonance. The F-82, 62, B-81, 61 and C-62 implement improved tweeters that use an all-new 9 oz ceramic motor. The rest of the vinyl-finished line will receive a neodymium motor with a finned heat sink that will provide smoother high-end response, higher extension and better dynamic capabilities at higher SPL levels.

The enclosure sizes are slightly larger than previous models and provide lower frequency extension. New multi-way binding posts, outrigger feet and nicer vinyl finish including Cherry, round out the changes.

Klipsch also announced an all-new wood finish speaker line with model designations of RF-83, 63 and RC-64 center channel. The change to this new line is dramatic and include all of the above mentioned enhancements and an all new driver layout to include triple woofers, all new professional grade 1.25 inch titanium tweeters and an all new woofer design that have new motor structures for greater control, output and power handling.

A new cabinet with modernized design includes knife-edge back that looks expensive and refined compared to previous Reference lines. Furniture grade veneer and premium binding posts round out the significant changes.

To match the above lineup, Klipsch announced new WDST surrounds designated by the model number RS-62, 52 and 42 that include all of the above changes to the horn and tweeters. The RS-62 uses the new ceramic motor. The RS 52 and 42 will receive the neodymium motor.

Pricing
RF-10 MSRP: $498/pr

RF-52 MSRP: $598/pr

RF-62 MSRP: $798/pr

RF-82 MSRP: $998/pr

RF-63 MSRP: $1798/pr

RF-83 MSRP: $2498/pr

brochure.jpg

Bill

post-26822-13819734923988_thumb.jpg

post-26822-13819765627008_thumb.jpg

post-26822-13819792507354_thumb.jpg

Now the most recent flagship is the rf-7 II's followed by the rf-82 II's, 62 II's, 52 II's and lastly 42 II's.

You mean the RF-7 II's followed by the RF-83 II's? As far as I understood the 82 has 2 woofers while 83 has 3? It will most likely come down to either the RF-7 II or the RF-83 II, though I've heard the latter is no match for the flagship in the end. Amplifier will be the deciding factor I guess.

And thanks a lot for the welcome! :D

A description of your listening room characteristics would be helpful (i.e. size, shape, furnishings, how loudly you listen, how far from the speakers is your listening spot, etc.) Speakers like the RF-7II, for example, would be way too large for a small room.

Explaining my room is kinda hard, as it's a pretty complicated room, if I may use that word. The floor has height differences, the roof is oblique with a sleeping loft on the high end, etc. And it's pretty small, the walls aren't much farther than 5 meters. Speakers about 2.5m from listening spot. I never listen very loud though, rarely above conversation levels.

Here is the Reference IV list of speakers. Maybe someone else can find a Reference V brochure.

Thank you! Am I right in assuming the Reference V brochure contains the Mk II models then?

Honestly, now that I'm already going out and investing a serious amount of cash in speakers, there is no point in looking at the older models is there? Go straight for Mk II's?

Reference II------RF-3, RF-5, RF-7

Reference III-----RF-15, RF-25, RF-35

Reference IV----RF-52, RF-62, RF-82, RF-63, RF-83

Reference V----RF-42II, RF-52II, RF-62II, RF-82II, RF-7II

No RF-63II or RF-83II ever mfr'd.

IMO, here is the Reference hierarchy in descending order:

RF-7II, RF-83, RF-7, RF-63, RF-5, RF-82II, RF-82, RF-3, RF-35, RF-62II, RF-62>>>>>>>>>

Bill