Budget Center Speaker Help!

KlipschLife

I have an Icon V setup and feel that it is a great system when setup correctly with a good avr/amp, subs and the room. The VB 15 has great sound and excellent stereo imaging. The VC 25 is also excellent as a center speaker, clear, dynamic and very capable as a center speaker and timber matched to the VB 15. When I first joined the forum, I thought about upgrading my speakers, but I like the Icon V setup so much, that I have not felt the need. This series is great with music and movies. Getting a second sub was a better upgrade for me than changing speakers.

Thanks guys. I'll go for the 25. Yes Derrick I really like the Icon 15. I bought some Infinity 162, but something was missing, so I sold them. The 15's filled that void. I have a Onlyo 707 and Outlaw M8. I'm In a small studio, so the setup works great.

The VC 25 is also excellent as a center speaker, clear, dynamic and very capable as a center speaker and timber mated to the VB 15. When I first joined the forum, I thought about upgrading my speakers, but I like the Icon V setup so much, that I have not felt the need.

I agree with Derrick that the VC-25 would be your best choice. My will power wasn't as strong as his but I did have the same system prior to upgrading to my current speakers. The V series sound awesome for their price point and I regret selling them instead of moving them to my bedroom.

I did have to buy a KC-25 from BB as the VC-25 was nowhere to be found at that time. It was well timbre matched but I found a NIB VC-25 on the bay and was within my return period on the KC-25.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

I don't like the auto calibration it gives me. I like to adjust mine manually. I may try one of those DVD's maybe the disney one(do I need a meter if I use this dvd?)Derrick what are your settings? Mine is and I like what I hear:

Fronts: +5.0db(80hz THX) Center: +6.0db(100hz) Woofer: +2.50db(120hz)

Would like to hear your thoughts on my settings.

My setting are very different from yours as expected. You can't go by others settings, amps, room, and speaker combo/placement are different. What type of avr do you have. All of my settings are in negative numbers, one thing I experienced, do not stray to far from the autocalibration settings to get the best performance out of your system.

L --4.5, R -3.0, C -4.0, FHL -0.5, FHR -1.0, SBR-2.0, SBL-0.5 , SL/SR -1.0/-1.5, SW -4.0

Most of my speakers are 11-12 ft from the mic position from autocalibration. The mic position is an open floor space and seating is off to the side and rear another 4 ft or so. The mic position was choosen to give the best sound for all the seating position. The SW distance is incorrect since I have two sub on one output connected by a Y connector. If I run the autocalibration at different times in the day, the number will change slightly.

Cool thanks derrick. I ran Audyssey and got...

Front L/R: 0db, Center: -1.5, SW: -15.0db(change it to -7.0db) Not sure why t was -15.0db I re-ran Aud 4 times.

Front: 100hz(changed to 80hz THX), Center: 60HZ, SW: 120HZ

Speaker distance - Front L/R: 8 Ft, Center: 7.5 Ft, SW: 10 Ft

Slight noise outside my window. All closed though. What do you think?

Make your center match your L/R. EmoQ does some very weird stuff with my subwoofer like setting it at -20. I think I am getting some weird reverberations in my room, so I played that one by ear instead of relying on the automatic room correction.

I am not sure where your sub is located, but it sounds like it is running hot. Do not turn the gain past the 60% mark. you need to lower the gain to be more in line with the rest of your system, even if you have to turn it to 8 or 9 O'clock. The sub needs to be integrated into the system and not heard. Bass should sound like it is coming from your main speakers. You can check the speakers with an SPL meter. Speaker should measure 75 db and the sub 72-75db. from the meter. You may need to move it out of a corner since that gives you the most bass, but not necessarily the best bass. Set all your speaker to small and xo all speaker at 80. I know audyssey has the variable xo but, keep it simple and you should get great sound from your system. I xo all my speakers at 80.