RF-7 with RF-63 as surrounds?

bvlaw

Hello All- Wondering whether anyone has any experience with using RF-63 towers as surrounds with RF-7 front speakers? I'm moving to a new house where the room in the basement I will be using will not really accomodate the RS-7 surrounds I am currently using. Good idea??? Any negatives???

Welcome to the Forum bvlaw and I think it would be a GREAT idea, but you'd want to have an adequate power supply to drive an all tower Home Theater. The Denon AVR 4806 is sufficient to drive what I have below ( in a less than 2,000 cu ft Home Theater), but in a larger room you would probably want to look at external amplification.

Thanks for the welcome as well as your advice. External amplification isn't an issue, as I'd be combining the equipment from my RF-63 system, which is currently a two-channel set up. My main concern was whether the timbre of the older RF-7s would clash with the timbre of the RF-63s.

That could be a concern but I use the older generation RF-3s as surrounds and imo as long as your front 3 speakers match up front, any slight change in timbre in the surrounds will be made up by a fuller sound. That has been my experience and I am thinking that although they weren't voice-matched together, the timbre is going to be quite close...

That being said, if you are going to be running the RF-7s up front you'd want to get the appropriate center channel-- if you won't be using a center channel (i.e., phantom mode) then that may bring an additional concern insofar as timbre matching. .What are you planning on driving them with?

My center channel is an RC-7.

I'm powering the RF-7s with McIntosh MC501s. I'm powering the RF-63s with a McIntosh MC402. The RC-7 will be powered by a Yamaha RX-V1.

The sub I have with the RF-7s is an RSW-15, which I was planning on using with the new set-up.

The sub I have with the RF-63s is an SW-311, which I was planning on selling, along with the RS-7s, if my new system works like I think it will.

Any suggestions???? Anything in my plans that you think I need to worry about???

Thanks for your help.

My center channel is an RC-7. I'm powering the RF-7s with McIntosh MC501s. I'm powering the RF-63s with a McIntosh MC402. The RC-7 will be powered by a Yamaha RX-V1. The sub I have with the RF-7s is an RSW-15, which I was planning on using with the new set-up. The sub I have with the RF-63s is an SW-311, which I was planning on selling, along with the RS-7s, if my new system works like I think it will. Any suggestions???? Anything in my plans that you think I need to worry about??? Thanks for your help.

That sounds like an AWESOME setup and I would consider keeping the SW-311 and running two subs if you really want to feel outrageous! [:P] Good Luck and I hope you get some more replies.

I'm very pleased with my equipment and look forward to combining the systems. I will talk to my dealer to see about running both subs but I'm concerned about my space being two small (18Lx15Wx7H). Thanks to both of you for the advice!!