Summer Altec A7 project (Done)

kg4guy

A stacked pair (as shown above) may be crossed at 150hz,

I would cross a single at 250hz or so, the A7 horn-loading cuts off below about 160hz or so.

The throat is about 2:1, I have another design out of 12mm Baltic that is double height and a 3:1 throat with a 30W x 40H mouth, x 24D.

My original double 12 sounded the best, but was a bit too large at 48W x 35H x 24D, and 2:1

I generally cross over at about 1.2Khz or so to the HP640.

The system is mechanically time-aligned, no aparent apex issues, and an analog crossover works great.

Mike I'm using EV DH1-A's on the JBL 2360A's sound real nice I had 2445J's and honestly I hear no difference in the sound quality and I picked these up for $100 pr. mint condition so that was a no brainer.Those JBL 18's with the JBL 2360A horns with the 2445J's or EV DH1-A's could be alot of fun no sure what cabinet would work best I'm sure djk would know .

Fun stuff I must say that testing the A7's next to the MWM setup is unfair for the A7's as the MWM's with the Peavey MB-2 and the JBL 2360A horn with EV driver tri-amped with the Ashly Protea 3.6SP processor is just amazing crystal clear punch it's as if you were in front of the band performing the track. I plan to build some La scala bass bins with some 1" Arauco plywood on the sides, top, bottom and back and use top grade 3/4" baltic birch on the doghouse probably make the doghouse a little wider to accommodate Bob Crites cast woofers.

Kg4,

Have you ever used Arauco for any projects before? It is NOT cabinet grade material at all, has a tendency to bow and will need to be veneered. It also has a tendency to de-laminateand and has a lot of voids in it. If you just HAVE to use it, be sure to check the edges for de-lamination. You would be much better off using double layer 19mm Baltic for the outer cabinet. Will yield 38mm of thickness, which is substantial. Sometimes...Cheap IS CHEAP....!

W. C.

• 2 weeks later...

Networks for the JBL's ,Notice the stock Klipsch wires going to the JBL 2404 Surprise

Here they are in place probably move them in the house in a few weeks .
I must say after putting these in a large room in the corners rather than side by side they sound alot better I also added a BBE Sonic Max. that was a help to the LF or what LF these have .[8-|]

That's a great update....there was a pair of empties for sale locally for 250 ...I was on the fence about buying them....4 hrs drive was the main issue.

I decided to get ride of the old grey cloth in the ports and put new Black Klipsch grill cloth from Bob Crites also added some internal bracing and some more acoustic foam this made a big difference the bass is much tighter before the cabinets rattled like a old jalopy .[:)]