Proposed System

Sundevil

Oh sorry, I misunderstood and assumed by intolerable, you meant the sound was coming off as harsh or bright sounding. That makes a lot more sense. That is odd that they are not coming alive until you turn it up quite a bit. I have a few suggestions you could try. Looking at performance charts for the RF-62s, there is a severe dropoff of db's right around the 65 hz range. It is dependent on the room, but would give you a good place to start so I would set the crossover frequency around 70 for the fronts. On the subwoofer itself, I would turn the crossover all the way up till it says LFE Off. This makes it so that your UMC-1 controls it. Then on the UMC-1 settings, I would probably turn the sub crossover up high enough to be above the lowest crossover you have for any of your speakers. After this, on the UMC-1 remote, turn just the sub volume up to make sure it's not set really low. EmoQ set mine at -20 which didn't make any sense because it's a pretty low powered sub compared to the rest of my system.

I haven't had a chance to listen to these speakers, but most reviews are claiming these speakers to have pretty boomy bass. If you got the UPA-500, it should be getting enough power. It just isn't making a lot of sense to me why it's only coming alive once you reach a certain volume. I hope others here can chime in that have had this problem.

No worries, I re-read that first post and can see where I made it sound like it had to do with the harsh/bright sound.

I thought it was really odd too though. I'm assuming based on your explanation that it was probably the recevier that was causing the issue in the store. However, like you mentioned, I'm hoping others can chime in on this issue I encountered to see if it's a common concensus that it was the receiver causing the problem.

While I didn't nessecarily expect to have a lot of low's at a lower volume, I surely expected the mid's to be more pronounced than they were. Even the guy helping me was like "hmm...there's absolutly no mid's or low's right now". I will say though that the clarity of the high's was very impressive.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some klipsch models are known for not having a midrange that stands out so to speak. The heritage line for instance has a sqwak midrange horn in it and is a more warm sound with a midrange that is definitly present. I find the reference line to be, i suppose, balanced. I havent found a selection of music that i didnt like to hear on them. I do find that they are great for rap and dance/trance/techno but then again i mainly listen to those genres. I also listent o enya and delirium and love it. I owned a pair of heresys and they are good for stuff with a lot of vocals as well as others of course but more for where you want to concentrate more on the voices. I didnt think they sounded good for trance and dance really.

Klipsch is also known for being bright/harsh but it depends on the model TBH. The current rf-7s i have are supposed to be pretty bright but i find i always turn the treble up on others speakers so i suppose i prefer a brighter speaker. For the most part i think its also getting used to them and calibrating your system to the way that you like it.

Your issues with the rf-62's and your description of volume is hard to depict since every receiver/amp is different. It sounds to me like they may have been under powered a bit and something wasnt calibrated properly.

I'll use my WF-35's for example. I tested them out on full range and the louder they got, the more muddy the bass was. I changed the crossover to 40 hz and it cleaned it up all the way as loud i normally make them. Settings have a lot to do with things. I would maybe try another dealer?

sorry things didnt go as planned for you.

In regards to the mid and lows dropping out at lower volume, that should not be the case. In stores and custom audio shops, speaker and amp may not be calibrated correctly, to much room noise, mis-match of speaker/amp and others things can be wrong. I have heard the Reference line, and the midrange performance is excellent. I think most speaker with 8 in woofers or smaller benefit from a sub. I listen to music at -50 on my setup which is a comfortable setting for listening to background music. The horns, kick drum, piano and pluck of the guitar are all very distinct.The amp/speaker pairing is a key point in getting a system to sound good, as well as calibration and the room. The only way to really tell how well your will like your speakers is to get them in your house and spend some days/weeks setting things up and listening to a lot of different sources and readjusting things. My personal view is that harsh sound has more to do with the room and setup than the speakers.

Well based on the feedback, I'm betting that the receiver/amp was the main issue with the speakers.

I've done a little more research and I've found where others experienced this at having a lesser amount of power to each speaker.

I know the Reference series is a good product and realize that this was probably just a fluke that it wasn't sounding right at a lower volume. The feedback everyone has left also reassures me that this is the case. When I demo'd these they were not in a good setup position by any means. I'm sure the sound was bouncing all over the place.

I'm slowly going to start piecing the system together over the next month or so.

Does anyone have any experience with open box items from Acoustic Sound Design? It seems like in most cases the speakers were just taken out of the box to setup and then put back in the box. Buying things that way may help with my budget a bit.

Thanks to everyone for their continued knowledge and feedback. It's really helped!

It is not less power but, the quality of the power supply (amp). I just purchase a set of RF 7s that sounded fantastic at the seller's house running off a Sansui tube amp with just 1 or 2 watts.

Yeah, I'm sure the entry level harmon kardon receiver with no tuning is probably the culprit in the sound. I'm hoping when I get the UMC-1 and UPA-500 all hooked up the sound will be what I expected.

Call Audioholics.com. They quoted me the best price from the online dealers I called.

I'll be sure to give them a call. I'd love to support a local brick and mortar store but their pricing just can't match online dealers. My local dealer had RF-62's for $50 under MSRP, which I thought was a fair price though. They were only willing to give me an 10% additional price break if I purchased an entire 5.1 system. They were telling me that if I got the towers, center, rears, and sub they'd throw in the center for free and give me 10% off the top of that. That's just more speakers than I planned on buying, haha.

I'm still undecided about the 62's vs 82's. I know the 82 is more sound than I want right now, but it's just a minor change in price that I should just go forward with it for the long term investment.

^^^After I got the price quote from audioholics, I went back to my local store to see if they were willing to compete. To my surprise they actually beat the price with tax included =^o There is a guy on AVS to talk to as well. I can't remember his name, but he posts a lot in the klipsch owner thread. He gave me a great quote on the speakers too (beat audioholics), but with shipping costs it ended up being quite a bit more. Depending on where you live you might try him as well as shipping might not kill you as much.

^^^After I got the price quote from audioholics, I went back to my local store to see if they were willing to compete. To my surprise they actually beat the price with tax included =^o There is a guy on AVS to talk to as well. I can't remember his name, but he posts a lot in the klipsch owner thread. He gave me a great quote on the speakers too (beat audioholics), but with shipping costs it ended up being quite a bit more. Depending on where you live you might try him as well as shipping might not kill you as much.

Alright, great. I'll be sure to keep everyone updated on my home theater build. I'm going to start ordering things in a couple of days. I'm just trying to figure out a final few things before I make my purchase.

Just thought I'd provide an update. It appears that being patient has paid off. Was cruising the web today and stopped by the Emotiva website to see that they were having a sale. Decided that I wanted a proper foundation for whatever speakers I end up choosing and I picked up a UMC-1 and I treated myself a littl e bit and got an XPA-5 as well. Pretty happy that I was able to snag some good deals!