XPA-5 issues

Scrappydue

so i bought a new xpa-5 about a week ago. and i have already noticed a few dislikes with it and wondering if anyone on here can offer some advice before i box it back up and send it back. so i have an onkyo tx-sr805 and am running the monster thx rca's from my preouts to the amp. for some when i was running audessey as soon as i plugged in the mic, boom amp kicks off in protection mode in channel 1 and 2. try it multiple times. same thing every time. so i get out the manual. then i read that some rca's are directional. duh steven! so i check. one set was wrong. the other three were fine. so i flip that set, and runs the EQ fine. however 50 percent of the time. when i pause or change inputs or something that causes the uber gay relay click these onkyos are famous for, it trips channel one. i shut it off turn it back on and it works fine. pause again. eh 50/ 50 chance of it happening again. not sure if amp is bad. not sure if rca's are bad. not sure if onkyo receiver is causing it. all suggestions are welcome, as i only have a few days to solve or send back because i go on vacation for past my 30 day window.

I had this exact issue. swap RCA's. i purchased brand new xpa 5 waited all week for it to get here, finally got it friday night, spend all night hooking it up and reorganized all my wires soldering banana plugs for good coonection at speaker wires. turn everything on...its perfect exactly what i was hoping for. jump in the shower and leave it on a lower volume. get out and im about to chill out and crank it up watching like the news or something after about 25 minutes driving at a decent volume the 3rd channel kicks in to protech mode. i instantly freak out becausei knew it wasnt that loud. start pulling everything back out, i realize that was the first banana plug i was experimenting on how i should solder, so instantly im thinking ooh must of not got a good connection inside. and plus my rca were brand new that were just opened 20 minutes before this was happening....so i cut it out get a new plug just screw it in this time with set screws, sit down turn it back up, this time it last for about 5 minutes. so i swap speakers wires does it again. 5 minutes later. so finnally at like 2 in the morning im really mad because imthinking im going to have to send this thing back. i had 1 extra rca that wasnt opened yet. open it up throw it on never had an issue since, threw that other "NEW" rca in the garbage.

after that i started looking into it and the emotivas are VERY sensitive when it comes to there protection mode, so that rca would of worked fine for some other amp or reciever but not with their amps. my story wasnt the only one i had seen with new rcas not working on emo amps, just because of their tolerances

i have had bad "brand new" HDMI cables and RCA cables. I tried the monoprice shielded digitial coax rca cables and they are good for troublshooting but i really do enjoy the x-series rca cables from emotiva. If you can catch them when they are on sale thats even better but 20 bucks a pop is still an excellent value IMO.

Just switch things up a bit with your cables!

Perhaps the Onkyo is throwing out some sort of interference? Have you gotten different cables and tried it yet? Is it still happening? If it is still happening, before you get it all boxed up, I recommend calling Emo Tech Support. They are fantastic in helping with all my UMC-1 problems. And if the tech guy doesn't know about something, he will go find someone that does instead of just giving some BS answer which I also like a lot.

Also, I am pretty curious about something. If you have tried hooking your fronts to the XPA-5 and compared them to the XPA-2, what kind of differences are you hearing? I am really on the fence about getting an XPA-2 for mine, but not many people have shared their thoughts on the XPA-2 vs the XPA-5 for fronts.

Sorry you are having trouble with the new amp. If possible try spacing out the cables so that they are not close to one another and other cables. Sometime they can interfer with one another. I am like you, back to the factory if you are going to be near the 30 day limit. I would think that the XPA-2 and XPA-5 should both power the RF 7's or 83's without a noticeable difference.