Klipschorn with a Belle?

I really want to get the sound of some Klipshorn speakers but I dont have the corners.

At this moment I can get my hands on a used Klipschorn and a used Belle. What are your thoughts on the sound with one k-horn in a corner and a belle a few feet away from a corner to avoid being in the way of a door opening? The Belle is a 92 and the K-horn is from 89. From what I can tell they have the same drivers. Is this idea crazy, or could this work out?

You'd be better off with a LaScala, same midrange horn as a Khorn.

The other thing is the crossovers, they vary over the years. For Instance, a LaScala and a Khorn, both with AA type crossovers would be better than one with AA and one with AK.

And since you don't have two corners, you'd be better off with two Belles, or two LaScala, or two Cornwalls or two Heresy, or have to build a false corner for a second Khorn.

Otherwise I think you'll get some sound imbalances that you might not like, especially after listening to it for a while.

I strongly agree with the others on the importance of having matched speakers right down to the crossovers. Even then you'll need EQ to compensate for the differing placement with just one speaker being in a corner. Or perhaps a short false corner would do the trick. It's suprising how much corner placement affects the output of the bass bin. IMO the comments about LaScalas and Belles having a harsh or too dominant mid-range and being bass deficient are really the result of poor placement.

Worth mentioning though is that if you can get the single Belle for a real good price, it's worth picking up. You can continue to search for another stray Belle and a pair of LaScalas. If it works out that you find a pair of LaScalas, there's a good market for the Belle as a center for K-horns (particularly if you're willing to ship it) to offset the cost of the LaScalas.

Good luck.

Mike

I agree! Though IMO, the La Scala doesn't sound anything like the Klipschorn in the midrange.

You'd be better off with a LaScala, same midrange horn as a Khorn.

The other thing is the crossovers, they vary over the years. For Instance, a LaScala and a Khorn, both with AA type crossovers would be better than one with AA and one with AK.