LaScala TLSI

dannyleloup

Hello,

I'm a french guy living in French West Indies, so not so far from most of you.

firstly, sorry for my poor english, I'll try my best to be understandable!

Secondly, thanks to everybody who make this forum incredibly nice and usefull to read, even though I don't understand everything sometimes. Anyway, even in french forums I don't!

Yesterday, I made what we call a "coup de poker" in my country. I bought 3 Lascala model TLSI, without seeing them. I will only see and hear them when I'm back to France, in july.

They were placed behind the screen of a small town cinema. They appear to be in fiberglass. According to the seller, they are working perfectly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I would like you to help me to know better these loudspeakers:

1. Regarding the serial numbers, is it possible to have any idea of the year of fab?

2. Is there any chance for damaged parts? What is blowing first in case of problem?

3. May I expect as good musical effiiency as for the home version?

Any more information will be appreciated. As soon as a friend pick them up, I will be able to send more pictures of the inside parts.

Thank you very much!

Dan

Danny,

You have made a great find....! They appear to be in great shape. They are Industrial la Scalas made for Theater use. they should sound as good as the regular La Scalas and i doubt that anything is "Blown" yopu will have to hook them up to determine that. you have a matched set of fronts for the beginning of a great Home Theater set up....! They appear to ber painted rather than the fiberglass version, but it is hard to tell from the photos. I am pretty sure that they were manufactured in 92 on the 342 day and was number 2641 for that year (the serial number that you show. The first three dihgits were the day of the year the next two were the year in reverse 29=92 and the last four were the actual number of that year. They should have AL-3 crossovers.

Hi Heli001,

thanks for your precious advise.

What a tricky way to code the ref number !

I will connect both of them on a KRELL FPB200.

I think it's uselessly too much powerfull for those loudspeekers, i will have to make easy on the volume knob...

Dan

you'ved arrived at a destination even before starting the journey. The TLSI have cast frame k-43 woofers, composite k-401 mid drivers, AL-3 crossovers, basically all ready to rock.

Thanks!
Is threre any easy, efficient and temporary way to use one of them as a good subwoofer, by changing the crossover and disconnecting some drivers?
Is the K43 able do go much lower than 50hz?

dan

the k-43 woofer can operate below 50hz ....but not in a lascala cab....so you really can't rig one of the cabs as a sub woofer

Well, I think that's about it for the time being.

thank you again for your help all of you both.

it's time for me to take time to read and learn from your fantastic website. The one that made me decide to buy those nice speakers.

i'll keep you informed as soon as I will listen to them.

dan

You're right Rick, we'll also need swimming suits and fishing rods!

I've got two problems:

First one: to change line on my post, I have to write "br" beetwen quotes. Is there an easier way?

I will come back to France with a Krell KRC-3 preamp. An american one, supplied with 110V/60V. Working on the power transformer, or using a converter, is not enough. An internal chip is monitoring the supply frequency, and Krell is asking me a huge price to make the job.

I got some information on "DIY Audio" forum, by working on the program of the chip, or "fooling" the chip by putting a 60Hz signal on its pin. I'm used working on microcontroler, but I'm afraid to make destructive mistake...

For the time being, the safer solution is to use a 12V/300W supply (like the one used for ledstrips), connected to a 300W 110V/60Hz pure sine inverter. Like a "regenerator", but much more cheaper. I guess 300W will be way enough.

The way Krell is trying to avoid a parallel market from USA to the rest of the world is awfull, especially for old devices...