Onkyo TX-SR606 Going into Protection mode.

I am currently driving a pair of Heresys, a kv3 center and a pair kg 2.5's with my receiver. I had a 10" optimus pro subwoofer hooked up to it for quite a while. I could get the volume very loud and the whole system took it like a champ. I upgraded to a Definitive Technology powerfield 15 sub. Hooked it up, cranked my tunes....and BAM! Protection mode! I tweak the settings, crank the system, BAM! Protection mode. I disconnect sub, crank the system, and I can get the music so loud its almost painful, no protection mode. Hook sub back up and bam, protection mode. Any ideas or thoughts as to why? Thank you in advance.

Swap out the sub cable and also rechecked the back of the avr sub connection. Sometimes, with all the input connectons, something can be on the wrong input. I have done it myself. If this does not solve the problem, most likely something is wrong with the sub. If you have another sub, see how the avr works with the second sub.

I once accidentaly plug the sub into on of the front speaker inputs, which is right next to the sub input. After correcting the mistake, the avr's front channel no longer worked after sending those low frequencies to it from auto-calibration. I did a total system reset and then everything worked. The avr's rear panel has so many connections, it is easy to put something in the wrong place if you are like me, blind as a bat without you glasses, lol.

Im an idiot. I had speaker wire touching. I had disconnected my rear side chan speaks and two of the wires were touching.

Glad you found it. That makes more sense than an issue with an RCA output.

The worst issue I ever had like that was with my old RF-5's. My AVR would go into protection any time I got reall loud with the volume. Normal listening it was fine and would play for hours. As soon as you really cranked the dial it would go into protection. I ended up removing 7 speaker wires from the receiver and adding them 1 by one and cranking the volume till I found the channel that was giving me issues. It ended up being my LF speaker (RF-5). The bottom woofer was the culpret. When the driver was manufactured, the wires from the terminal lug to the inside of the driver were laid on the spider in the shape of an hourglass. When you cranked it up, the leads would touch from the driver moving up and down. Took me forever to figure it out. I bent them apart and never had another problem with it.