Bi-Wire on 2 Channels of Amplification from One Input = ?

nola000

For some background...I have a pair RF-3 floorstanders, pair of RS-3 surrounds and an a single RC-3 center. I have my RF-3 pair covered with a 2 channel amp that I plan to keep. My problem is in finding a 3 channel amp to power my surrounds and center channel. Ive been hawking ebay for a good deal on a 3 channel amp but they are hard to find and/or expensive.

Ive been kicking around a couple of ideas around this problem but Im not sure if it will cause speaker damage, amp damage, inaccurate playback of surround tracks or just plain sound like poop.

The first option I voice at the risk of being labeled noobtacular, that is, running maybe a 5 or 6 channel amp and only using the 3 channels that I need. If the amp had 5 or 6 completely separate stages and power supplies like a Sherbourne 5/1500 I wouldnt even be asking this question, but Im cautious about loading only 3 channels of a traditional 5/6 channel amp design with a shared power supply and whatever else. Would this cause premature wear of the amp? Some kind of channel imbalance problem, maybe? I searched the net and this simple info is relatively hard to find. I thought it might be because its rather difficult to phrase properly in a search box without getting a million hits of irrelevant results or it could be because its a completely obvious answer that only an audio 'tard would ask. Help this audio 'tard with an obvious answer.

The second option would be setting up a 2 channel amp for my surrounds and using another 2 channel amp on my center channel wired like this...

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn104/nola000/Ampbi-wire.jpg

Taking advantage of the bi-wire option and using like a 2 x 50w or 2 x 75w amp to power the center with a splitter cable combining the two amp channels to the single center channel feed from the source/pre-amp. Would this cause any problems? Is this less than ideal soundwise compared to a 3 channel amp?

Thanks

The first option I voice at the risk of being labeled noobtacular, that is, running maybe a 5 or 6 channel amp and only using the 3 channels that I need. If the amp had 5 or 6 completely separate stages and power supplies like a Sherbourne 5/1500 I wouldnt even be asking this question, but Im cautious about loading only 3 channels of a traditional 5/6 channel amp design with a shared power supply and whatever else. Would this cause premature wear of the amp? Some kind of channel imbalance problem, maybe?

A multichanel amp with a single power supply is designed to be shared by all channels and the demands will vary most of the time. I have been using one of my Acurus A200FIVE amps like this for some time(center and surrounds) with no ill affects. As long as the output transitors for each channel are designed to handle the varying loads, I see no potential problems. My Acurus has easily been up to the task and has passed the test with flying colors.

Bill

The first option I voice at the risk of being labeled noobtacular, that is, running maybe a 5 or 6 channel amp and only using the 3 channels that I need. If the amp had 5 or 6 completely separate stages and power supplies like a Sherbourne 5/1500 I wouldnt even be asking this question, but Im cautious about loading only 3 channels of a traditional 5/6 channel amp design with a shared power supply and whatever else. Would this cause premature wear of the amp? Some kind of channel imbalance problem, maybe?

A multichanel amp with a single power supply is designed to be shared by all channels and the demands will vary most of the time. I have been using one of my Acurus A200FIVE amps like this for some time(center and surrounds) with no ill affects. As long as the output transitors for each channel are designed to handle the varying loads, I see no potential problems. My Acurus has easily been up to the task and has passed the test with flying colors.

Bill

...and I've done it for years with an Adcom GFA-7607. It is a 7 (X-125wpc) channel amp with one main power supply and I too am using it for (4) surround channels and the center channel with no problems for about 8 years now. I have an Adcom GFA-555 powering the mains.

Dennie